Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Death sentence for killer of British medical students on Borneo

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
If we had the death penalty still, we would have murdered the Birmingham Six, along with the Guildford four, and god knows how many others, who have been released in the last few years after evidence proved their innocence.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not sure I would. Painlessly (at least supposed to be) executed, or a lifetime of suffering in prison. Do you think Roy Whiting, Ian Huntley, Mark Bridger et al are all having it easy spending the rest of their lives behind bars? I'd want them to suffer till their dying day, keeping them alive as long as possible. Death is no justice.
Roy Whiting, Ian Huntley, Mark Bridger suffering? Could argue that, with warm cells, TV and three meals a day, plus medical care, but they can in no way be suffering as much as the parents of their victims. It was a death sentence for Sarah Payne's poor father - I'd rather he was alive than Roy Whiting any day.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Roy Whiting, Ian Huntley, Mark Bridger suffering? Could argue that, with warm cells, TV and three meals a day, plus medical care, but they can in no way be suffering as much as the parents of their victims. It was a death sentence for Sarah Payne's poor father - I'd rather he was alive than Roy Whiting any day.
Not sure if Ian Huntley is enjoying his time in prison as he's been attacked by other inmates and attempted suicide at least once.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

All three have been repeat victims of stabbings and beatings. I don't think it's a holiday camp.

The Payne family loss wouldn't have been anymore lessoned with the execution of Whiting.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
If we had the death penalty still, we would have murdered the Birmingham Six, along with the Guildford four, and god knows how many others, who have been released in the last few years after evidence proved their innocence.

The Birmingham six were never 'proved' innocent, they definitely had something to do with it, as with a lot of cases , ie Russell bishop etc, the police over egged the pudding with the evidence.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Not a great fan of the death penalty,too many ifs and buts surround the issue. Sometimes however it can be clearly warranted where guilt is absolute. Im thinking of Adebolajo and Adebowale. I would welcome the death penalty in their case,it should also for them be in a public place allowing as many people as possible to turn up and should be as entertaining as possible perhaps with some tar and feathering to start, maybe tied to the London Eye with fireworks up their bum followed by death by catapult, something at least to make the day memorable and put a smile on everyones face.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Not a great fan of the death penalty,too many ifs and buts surround the issue. Sometimes however it can be clearly warranted where guilt is absolute. Im thinking of Adebolajo and Adebowale. I would welcome the death penalty in their case,it should also for them be in a public place allowing as many people as possible to turn up and should be as entertaining as possible perhaps with some tar and feathering to start, maybe tied to the London Eye with fireworks up their bum followed by death by catapult, something at least to make the day memorable and put a smile on everyones face.
That's what Adeboaja and Adebowale wanted though, to go down as martyrs. They expected to be shot dead by the police, and if it was the USA they probably would.
Probably best for them to rot in jail for the rest of the lives, and 20 years from now they may realise how stupid they have been to be brain washed.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I stand corrected however there are obviously different lengths of sentences for different types of murder.

Para 4 - whole life order (exceptionally high seriousness)
Para 5 - minimum term of 30 years (particularly high seriousness)
Para 5A - minimum term of 25 years, if aged 18 or over, and bring knife or other weapon (not including firearm or explosive) to the scene intending to commit any offence or have it as a weapon and use that weapon to commit murder (does not apply to a sentence for a murder committed before 2 March 2010).
Para 6 - otherwise, if aged 18 or over at date of offence, minimum term of 15 years
Para 7 - if under 18 years at date of offence, minimum term of 12 years

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Which is why justice isn't left in the hands of the victim.
It should be though, just let the victims families spend ten mins in a room with the little so and so... It'll save billions of time, effort and money

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Para 4 - whole life order (exceptionally high seriousness)
Para 5 - minimum term of 30 years (particularly high seriousness)
Para 5A - minimum term of 25 years, if aged 18 or over, and bring knife or other weapon (not including firearm or explosive) to the scene intending to commit any offence or have it as a weapon and use that weapon to commit murder (does not apply to a sentence for a murder committed before 2 March 2010).
Para 6 - otherwise, if aged 18 or over at date of offence, minimum term of 15 years
Para 7 - if under 18 years at date of offence, minimum term of 12 years
Doesn't the judge decide exactly the amount the defendant should serve after reviewing the case?

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Doesn't the judge decide exactly the amount the defendant should serve after reviewing the case?

Paragraph 11 - lists some mitigating factors:
intention to cause serious bodily harm only
lack of premeditation
offender suffering from mental disorder or disability
provocation not amounting to a defence of provocation
offender acting to any extent in self-defence
belief by the offender that the murder was an act of mercy
offender's age

And ofcourse giving a guilty plea reduces the sentance by a 1/5 or 5 years, which ever is less (in most cases)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] can he have a poll on this?

I'm torn... I mean most of these scumbags don't deserve to live but at the same time the death penalty to me is questionable to use as a form of punishment for a crime, that being said prisons aren't exactly inhospitable places now - most have leisure time, get everything paid for them (health care ect) and generally don't have a bad time of it. It's a difficult subject because nothing is really a 'fair' punishment for such abhorrent crimes like this.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] can he have a poll on this?

I'm torn... I mean most of these scumbags don't deserve to live but at the same time the death penalty to me is questionable to use as a form of punishment for a crime, that being said prisons aren't exactly inhospitable places now - most have leisure time, get everything paid for them (health care ect) and generally don't have a bad time of it. It's a difficult subject because nothing is really a 'fair' punishment for such abhorrent crimes like this.

Don't forget these evil people get three hot meals a day paid by the familys involved by the tax they pay

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I stand corrected however there are obviously different lengths of sentences for different types of murder.

Yep. A conviction for murder carries a mandatory life sentence, but the judge can make a recommendation regarding tariff. There is a minimum (15 years for those aged 18 or over; 12 for those under 18) and a maximum of a whole life tariff, but the latter is pretty rarely given (currently numbering around 60 in total) and has to be reviewed by the Appeals and Review unit before sentence is passed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here