Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup Opening Game

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
When you compare it to the opener of Brazil v Croatia, Neymar and the true passion of the South Americans in the last World Cup, this has been poor.

It's like Birmingham v Oxford.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Egypt & Uruguay are in this group. These two defences will have to face Suarez and Salah.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
So a poor game of football is enjoyable just because its the World Cup?
The World Cup is supposed to be the best teams in the world playing a high level of football, maybe not alwaays exciting and fast but surely the quality is supposed to be better than this.
Bound to improve though, looking forward to Portugal v Spain.

Don't forget, even The premiership throws up a tv game of West Brom v Huddersfield every now and then.

With you on Spain v Portugal, could be a cracker !

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
When you compare it to the opener of Brazil v Croatia, Neymar and the true passion of the South Americans in the last World Cup, this has been poor.

It's like Birmingham v Oxford.

Yeah but it's an improvement on a portly Ronaldo slapping a wolf and Robbie Williams shuddering around in a budget pantomime suit?

Also the 5 Live commentator just said that the fifth goal "surely seals the win" for Russia

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
And with the World Cup expanding to 48 teams, there are going to be another 16 teams worse than Saudi Arabia.

Bring on American Samoa and Gibraltar.

And Scotland.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
What an utter embarassment to have Saudi Arabia in the World Cup finals.

Can't wait to see 16 teams worse than that in Qatar.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Iron Fists Arms 5 v 0 Saudi Kings Head

Poor pub game ends with a straight forward win for the Irons.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Don't forget, even The premiership throws up a tv game of West Brom v Huddersfield every now and then.

With you on Spain v Portugal, could be a cracker !

I agree, I seldom watch PL games like West Brom v Huddersfield, even highly anticipated games can be poor, iz football, but you expect a bit better than that opening match, Saudi were dreadful, watch their goalie for the last goal.
Is it still Ramadan?

SeagullofMalaysia

Jan 29, 2016
Somewhere in north Malaysia
I agree, I seldom watch PL games like West Brom v Huddersfield, even highly anticipated games can be poor, iz football, but you expect a bit better than that opening match, Saudi were dreadful, watch their goalie for the last goal.
Is it still ramadan?
They were probably thinking of their Eid celebration, as Ramadan approaches its end today.

Sent from my CPN-L09 using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yeah but it's an improvement on a portly Ronaldo slapping a wolf and Robbie Williams shuddering around in a budget pantomime suit?

Also the 5 Live commentator just said that the fifth goal "surely seals the win" for Russia

The hype and rank exaggeration was too much for me, I baled out much earlier, dreading being stuck with a John Murray game.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
So Saudi Arabia lost their heads on the field today.

Looking on the bright side, at least they'll be used to it when they get home.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
So a poor game of football is enjoyable just because its the World Cup?
The World Cup is supposed to be the best teams in the world playing a high level of football, maybe not alwaays exciting and fast but surely the quality is supposed to be better than this.
Bound to improve though, looking forward to Portugal v Spain.

First, I don't think it was as bad as you're making it sound. Couple of quality goals at the end there.

Second, yes it instantly becomes more enjoyable because it's the World Cup. You can see how much it means to each team, the effort and intensity they put in, when they might not have the quality. There's only three games in the group stage - and so each one becomes immensely important. Just like cup finals, title deciders, etc are instantly more enjoyable games of football because of what they mean - even if the games themselves are dull 1-0 results. I've seen far worse quality in the lower divisions of English football and still enjoyed it.

It's interesting to see the styles of different teams from around the world. You could see Saudi Arabia were trying to play passing, technical football - but they didn't have the quality to get past Russia, who will have surprised everyone with that performance, in their own country. The atmosphere was great.

It was the two lowest ranked teams in the tournament, but I was entertained. You could improve the quality of the World Cup by cutting the teams and restricting it to just the European and South American teams, but I think that would be a bit shit really.

Maybe you're just not that into football?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here