Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you think the deal was for Wilson?

SockMonster

Oct 12, 2007
Brighton
Was chatting with mates after the game and we were wondering what kind of deal we would have had to make to get him considering so many clubs were after him? (Perhaps this is fixtures in which case apologies). Did we have to pay a lump sum? What percentage of wages? Do they have recall rights? That kind of thing.....
I realise no-one will know for certain but what do we reckon? Personally I think we might have had to shell out quite a bit to get him.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Was considering the same thing and would assume that it was a sizeable loan fee - say maybe £1m or so plus his wages of maybe £8k per week. Quite an investment

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
As a 19 year old (OK, not for much longer, I admit) I don't think his wages at Old Trafford would be that astronomical (in footballers' terms). Don't know what percentage we'd pay.
Suspect MU (or at least LVG) wanted him to cut his teeth elsewhere, and looked on us as a good option, so probably not much in terms of loan payments.

I think we sometimes under estimate what an attractive option we are for players. Man U obviously have high hopes for this guy, but they aren't going to play him this season so they lend him to us. We're a good footballing side with great facilities so we aren't going to ruin him. Yes there's a benefit for us but there's a huge benefit for them.

If he does the business with us he will go back to them at the end of the season sharper and fitter than he is now, with his confidence sky high, ready to fight for a place in their first team, Like Jesse Lingard.

If he fails with us then they will know he's not going to make it with them so they can unload him

A win win situation for them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We wouldnt or rather TB wouldnt pay for Vydra so I wouldnt think it was very much more a case of giving him games. Isnt there a recall option on all loans after 28 days?

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
As a 19 year old (OK, not for much longer, I admit) I don't think his wages at Old Trafford would be that astronomical (in footballers' terms). Don't know what percentage we'd pay.
Suspect MU (or at least LVG) wanted him to cut his teeth elsewhere, and looked on us as a good option, so probably not much in terms of loan payments.

Would agree with that as apparently he has only played twice in the MU first team recently. We are a good prospect for promotion and have excellent training facilities so what better club for him to gain experience.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
He will play in every league game he is fit for and there is a incentive for him as mentioned previously, do well here and he could get a start at Man U, bomb out here and he maybe off loaded. I reckon he will do well here, as for the financials, I can't see us paying £1m for the privilege of having him here for two thirds of a season.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Was considering the same thing and would assume that it was a sizeable loan fee - say maybe £1m or so plus his wages of maybe £8k per week. Quite an investment

Not a chance. We weren't paying £2m for a proven Championship striker. There is no way we're playing anything for a fringe player with no real history. There's a recall option so we can't be paying anything anyway.

Bloody right we shouldn't have paid what Reading wanted for Vydra. That was silly money for a loan, even allowing for unrealistic press speculation on what Reading paid for him.

If JW does the business over the next few weeks we'll have saved several million on the striker we need to get the goals we need to get to the Premier league. If he doesn't we can still splash the cash in January.

A win win for both us and Man U, But a bigger win for us.

That Mr Bloom, he's a pretty shrewd cookie you know; remind me never to do business with him.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think we sometimes under estimate what an attractive option we are for players. Man U obviously have high hopes for this guy, but they aren't going to play him this season so they lend him to us. We're a good footballing side with great facilities so we aren't going to ruin him. Yes there's a benefit for us but there's a huge benefit for them.

If he does the business with us he will go back to them at the end of the season sharper and fitter than he is now, with his confidence sky high, ready to fight for a place in their first team, Like Jesse Lingard.

If he fails with us then they will know he's not going to make it with them so they can unload him

A win win situation for them.

Kind of this. I've always felt that with top clubs it's us that's doing them the favour as opposed to us having to prise him away. I feel they'll lend their player to the club which suits them best.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
We wouldnt or rather TB wouldnt pay for Vydra so I wouldnt think it was very much more a case of giving him games. Isnt there a recall option on all loans after 28 days?

The recall option only applies to the emergency loan (and short term loans) and can only be activated after 28 days. Season long loans can only be recalled during the January transfer window, there is no recall option on half season loans so once it's become a half season loan then he'll be with us for the rest of the season.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

This is what I'm trying to fathom. I'm guessing the re-call option applies once the 28 days is up. Which would be, I guess, after the Boxing Day match.

My questions are:

1) Does this mean we cannot play him on the 29th, but can from the 1st onwards (If it becomes a season long loan) ?
2) Once he is here in January he cannot be recalled ?

My own feeling is that if he is here for the rest of the season come January then we don't need to go looking elsewhere. This boy will score a lot of goals at this level. Also, If IT happened, we would have the summer to decide on the best options at a higher level rather than be concerned as to whether our new £7 million striker was going to cut the mustard.

Whatever happens, the club have done REALLY well to get this lad in.

I'm supporting Manchester United as well for the next month- call that expedience.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
This is what I'm trying to fathom. I'm guessing the re-call option applies once the 28 days is up. Which would be, I guess, after the Boxing Day match.

My questions are:

1) Does this mean we cannot play him on the 29th, but can from the 1st onwards (If it becomes a season long loan) ?
2) Once he is here in January he cannot be recalled ?

Man Utd can recall him after 28 days this is the standard re-call clause in any short term or emergency loan. A short term or emergency loan can run for 93 days but can be turned into a half season loan during the January transfer window. There is nothing stopping him from playing for us on the 29th (unless Man Utd recall him) as this would still be covered under a 93 day emergency loan deal. My guess would be the deal to turn this loan into a half season loan will be completed and confirmed towards the end of the January window giving Man Utd as long as possible to re-call if they need too. Once the deal is confirmed and the January window closes he cannot be recalled.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Man Utd can recall him after 28 days this is the standard re-call clause in any short term or emergency loan. A short term or emergency loan can run for 93 days but can be turned into a half season loan during the January transfer window. There is nothing stopping him from playing for us on the 29th (unless Man Utd recall him) as this would still be covered under a 93 day emergency loan deal. My guess would be the deal to turn this loan into a half season loan will be completed and confirmed towards the end of the January window giving Man Utd as long as possible to re-call if they need too. Once the deal is confirmed and the January window closes he cannot be recalled.

Thanks for that. So, I guess the club has to decide whether to spend money on a new striker or not.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

Are you saying we have him on a 93 day loan that we can and probably will extend for the season in January.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here