A couple of miles from the sea
A main line to London
Lovely football and cricket clubs

Jsut the best place in my opinion

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Hastings
people are really friendly, loads of great old style pubs, lots of musicians/artists, amazing seafront, good football ground and De La Warr just a few stops away. Reminds me of how Brighton used to be.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Although I now live a few hundred yards over the border in Lancing I still regard Shoreham as my home town. I totally agree with the benefits listed by previous posters though wish that some of the developments had not occurred and the town was still as it was 50 years ago when I was a lot younger.

The new flats by the yacht club are nothing short of a crime. In fact it was a very underhanded development full stop.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Hastings
people are really friendly, loads of great old style pubs, lots of musicians/artists, amazing seafront, good football ground and De La Warr just a few stops away. Reminds me of how Brighton used to be.

Is the right answer. :clap2:

Everything you mentioned plus The Old Town, The East and West Hills and the view from them over the largest beach fishing fleet in EUROPE, the sense of community and events that re on throughout the year and the fact it's real. Plus it continues to improve for the better, despite the problems it, like many seaside towns face.

I'm proud to have been born there, grow up in the area and spent most of my life living in the area too.

seagully

Cock-knobs!
Jun 30, 2006
Battle
Is the right answer. :clap2:

Everything you mentioned plus The Old Town, The East and West Hills and the view from them over the largest beach fishing fleet in EUROPE, the sense of community and events that re on throughout the year and the fact it's real. Plus it continues to improve for the better, despite the problems it, like many seaside towns face.

I'm proud to have been born there, grow up in the area and spent most of my life living in the area too.

Plus it's only 7 miles from Battle which is the best town in the whole of Sussex ;)

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Worthing is a likeable place too.

Really, it isn't. Having spent the last 6 months living there it really has only one advantage over Brighton/Hove, the price. It has none of the amenities of a bigger town/city, and Hove has more rural charm than Worthing. The roads getting in and out are jammed at both rush hour and weekends. For living on the coast in central Sussex you have to go a long way to beat Shoreham right now in my view.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
We agree on something!
I love it, the river, the walks and as you say the general atmosphere. The Linksway to Bramber is one of my favourite strolls. Or up to Mill Hill, along to the Dyke, down into Southwick, stroll back via The Buckingham. Stunning. . The pubs and restaurants are first class,
I am lucky enough to be able to call it home these days. Walking home over the footbridge and the end of each working day is one of my great pleasures.

Me too. Love it. I can walk from home down to East St in 5 mins and have my choice of cafes for a nice cuppa or a bite. Farmers market, chilli festival, artisan market - we have pretty much all I need.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Me too. Love it. I can walk from home down to East St in 5 mins and have my choice of cafes for a nice cuppa or a bite. Farmers market, chilli festival, artisan market - we have pretty much all I need.

Indeed. Ploughman's in Hectors Shed, quick gawp at the saucy French Milf in Real Patisserie, over to beach side for a cheap pint in The Waterside, although that pub has gone rapidly downhill since the new landlady took over.
It was never a nice looking place but the people made that place. She's barred most of them now. Shame.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Indeed. Ploughman's in Hectors Shed, quick gawp at the saucy French Milf in Real Patisserie, over to beach side for a cheap pint in The Waterside, although that pub has gone rapidly downhill since the new landlady took over.
It was never a nice looking place but the people made that place. She's barred most of them now. Shame.

It's still the Lady Jane to me !

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
True to a degree but it really is pricey. Not just housing.

3 mile taxi ride

Shoreham £4.50
Worthing £4.70
Brighton £7.90

Highly selective, and in some cases, simply not true - especially the taxi fares for Worthing and Shoreham.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
We agree on something!
I love it, the river, the walks and as you say the general atmosphere. The Linksway to Bramber is one of my favourite strolls. Or up to Mill Hill, along to the Dyke, down into Southwick, stroll back via The Buckingham. Stunning. . The pubs and restaurants are first class,
I am lucky enough to be able to call it home these days. Walking home over the footbridge and the end of each working day is one of my great pleasures.

I'd vote for Shoreham. Grew up there, living on The Beach. Great memories.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Highly selective, and in some cases, simply not true - especially the taxi fares for Worthing and Shoreham.

It sort of has to be selective as I can't list every cab fare or pint price in Sussex. But I assure you that's what I've paid in the past. I doubt many can deny Brighton is a very expensive town. In many areas it's more expensive than London which must make it pretty much the most expensive town in the U.K.!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'll put in a word for Worthing. Good footie side, OK rugby team, 5 railway stations, decent prom, trad.pier and if they can get rid of the eyesore that is Teville Gate, then the place should look a lot better. The Downs and the sea within 2 miles.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

strange way to run a pub, what were they barred for? just out of interest

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here