Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The OFFICIAL 2016 NFL thread

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Gave Steelers v Chiefs a miss and glad I did (Steelers fan)

It was like old Steeler football again. Pound them on the ground and 'Steel Curtain' esque defense. Well worth the late night!

We can't afford to go 0/4 in the red zone again on Sunday but every other facet of the game was on song. Even our much maligned special teams.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
As someone who is quite new to the sport, is it pretty standard that a quarter can be made up of just two attacks.

It's only as I was amazed when the first quarter finished I the Seahawks Falcons game and each team had only had possession of the ball once each.

I'm sorry. I've probably used completely the wrong terminology there. I'm new.

It is less prevalent now the NFL is a more pass happy league but would have been a fairly frequent occurrence 20 years ago.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm not promising anything but on Sunday Sky Sports Mix currently have the Packers/Falcons game blocked off, for the NFL.
Admittedly the corresponding blurb makes no sense, but it's a start.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Top 50 Draft Prospects.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...jeremiahs-top-50-prospects-for-2017-nfl-draft

Note the first QB doesn't come in until no. 15 and it isn't Deshaun Watson. Popular consensus is this isn't a good year to be drafting QB.

McCaffrey and Peppers my two dream Steelers are ranking low 1st Rounders here. Fingers crossed.

However one or more of those QBs will be going top 10. I hope so as it pushes the defensive talent further down the draft.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
At least 2 QB's in the top 10, maybe 3 I reckon.

Theres bound to be....but personally I dont think any are worth really high picks this year tbh....Watson excepted maybe. I would rather we (the Browns) use both our 1st rounders on DL / OL - & then maybe look at a QB with our 2nd round pick. I still really like Patrick Mahomes II out of Texas Tech. Seen as a project right now by the experts, but the kid has the perfect size, and a cannon of an arm.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Theres bound to be....but personally I dont think any are worth really high picks this year tbh....Watson excepted. I would rather we (the Browns) use both our 1st rounders on DL / OL - & then maybe look at a QB with our 2nd round pick. I still really like Patrick Mahomes II out of Texas Tech. Seen as a project right now by the experts, but the kid has the perfect size, and a cannon of an arm.

I've just watched some more film of him as I've heard him name a lot recently. He has horrifying mechanics but an unbelievable arm, reminds me a bit of Matt Stafford/ Blake Bortles. His stock is very much on the rise, some teams are talking of him as a higher prospect than Deshaun Watson. If the hype keeps building he might go in the first.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
One of the podcasts I've listened to this week suggested the following game:-

NFL player or Dorset village?

Blake Bortles or Bradford Peverell could be a good start to the game.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I've just watched some more film of him as I've heard him name a lot recently. He has horrifying mechanics but an unbelievable arm, reminds me a bit of Matt Stafford/ Blake Bortles. His stock is very much on the rise, some teams are talking of him as a higher prospect than Deshaun Watson. If the hype keeps building he might go in the first.

His footwork is what people are concerned about mostly from what I've read. Doesn't throw the ball particularly well off the back foot, or off balance - but get his feet set & he can launch a rocket right on the numbers. Unbelievable arm &, I agree, reminds me a bit of Stafford too - & similar to Big Ben's size.

Bad mechanics never stopped Bernie Kosar, so hopefully Mahomes will have a successful career wherever he ends up. Im thinking a 1st may be a reach for him, but 2nd is definitely worth a closer look.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
His footwork is what people are concerned about mostly from what I've read. Doesn't throw the ball particularly well off the back foot, or off balance - but get his feet set & he can launch a rocket right on the numbers. Unbelievable arm &, I agree, reminds me a bit of Stafford too - & similar to Big Ben's size.

Bad mechanics never stopped Bernie Kosar, so hopefully Mahomes will have a successful career wherever he ends up. Im thinking a 1st may be a reach for him, but 2nd is definitely worth a closer look.
To be honest, his off balance stuff looks horrible but is still pretty effective, unlike Brad Kayaa who for all his poise in a clean pocket will struggle in the NFL under pressure.

I like him alot.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
Theres bound to be....but personally I dont think any are worth really high picks this year tbh....Watson excepted maybe. I would rather we (the Browns) use both our 1st rounders on DL / OL - & then maybe look at a QB with our 2nd round pick. I still really like Patrick Mahomes II out of Texas Tech. Seen as a project right now by the experts, but the kid has the perfect size, and a cannon of an arm.

I'd be amazed if Cleveland didn't trade down again without a nailed on, unanimously worthwhile QB sitting there in the top 5. Think they decided when they took RG3 that they weren't going to go down the Osweiller gamble/Free agent route so they'll happily wait it out another season. Truth is that they have so many holes they could trade down, acquire more picks and still collect immense talent in the first two rounds in this defence heavy draft.

FWIW i like Kaaya out of the U at QB. Probably be there in the 4th +

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
To be honest, his off balance stuff looks horrible but is still pretty effective, unlike Brad Kayaa who for all his poise in a clean pocket will struggle in the NFL under pressure.

I like him alot.

Weird because people said similar about Dak (his main strengths weren't throwing and that he lacked the poise to play QB in the NFL). I like Kaaya and saw him live last year and think he could play in the NFL easily. Realistically he will have to sit for a year or two.

Be interesting to see if anyone takes a go a Garroppolo because NE know that they won't have a better chance to gets a kings ransom for him than now.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Weird because people said similar about Dak (his main strengths weren't throwing and that he lacked the poise to play QB in the NFL). I like Kaaya and saw him live last year and think he could play in the NFL easily. Realistically he will have to sit for a year or two.

Be interesting to see if anyone takes a go a Garroppolo because NE know that they won't have a better chance to gets a kings ransom for him than now.

I'm not knocking Dak at all but he ended up in such a great spot for a quarterback. Great line, great running back and when he was fit a possible all-pro reciever. I liked the look of Kaaya plenty before this year. If he dropped to the 4th, I think that might be good value.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
I'm not knocking Dak at all but he ended up in such a great spot for a quarterback. Great line, great running back and when he was fit a possible all-pro reciever. I liked the look of Kaaya plenty before this year. If he dropped to the 4th, I think that might be good value.

Yeah that spell of three straight ACC losses (Particularly the Tarheels game) before the defeat against ND kinda killed his draft stock a bit but I don't think he was ever going to go before the 3rd round anyway (Barring a Hackenberg-esque shock). To be Miami's all time pass leader having played during Al Golden's woeful tenure is an impressive feat in itself.

I liked Dak in college and felt that he deserved a better shout at the heinsman after single handedly carrying MS Bulldogs to a SEC title challenge. You're right though - he couldn't have landed in a better spot with Romo injured, Sanchez the alternative and 'Zeke the freak' arriving at the same time.

We'll see about the draft. I'd like to see what the NFL scouts say after the combine and the college's open training days about Watson and Trubisky.

Cloughie

Jun 7, 2009
We wont trade down this year, & wont be in a rush to take a QB - in my opinion. Garrett #1, then a QB possibly with our next pick in Rd1, more likely Rd2....

I hope you're right for their sake, but it all depends what happens at the combine regarding QB's. If one or two are over-hyped again like last year, they'll trade down provided they don't want them. Even if it's only with the 49ers.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the Browns in their player evaluations this offseason. I'd love to know how DePodesta is thinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here