Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MEP Nigel farage

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I admire your optimism however the factors that enabled us be the 5th largest economy in the world no longer exist. Going forward it will be increasingly important to belong to one of the major trading blocks.

Surely the best moment for dark humour of the last week was on the morning after the referendum, just 4 hours after the result was confirmed, Boris made a speech trumpeting us as the fifth largest world economy........... by which time we had already been demoted to sixth!

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Only if you are being technical.This proper job guff is standard speak for not being able to understand or relate to normal people, being out of touch, self absorbed greasy poll climbing and cronyistic. In that sense he was right and it feeds well into the views of the common man.

btw cronyistic may not be an actual word.

Remind me, what was Nige's 'proper job' again?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Surely the best moment for dark humour of the last week was on the morning after the referendum, just 4 hours after the result was confirmed, Boris made a speech trumpeting us as the fifth largest world economy........... by which time we had already been demoted to sixth!

Urban myth, we remain the 5th largest economy, which for me means the best bit of your post is that you talking bollocks .......

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I believe that Dominic Cummings is leading Gove's campaign for leadership now btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJjShkGCa4c

I remember Dominic Cummings from university. He's a bit weird, but very intelligent. You didn't want to start an argument with him, he was quite intense. On a lighter note, I remember him standing up on a table in a college bar singing "White Lines". Quite intensely. I'm turning into quite the name dropper - first my Mrs Farage bombshell, now this. I need to watch out for this and not be tempted when Gregbrighton starts a "Famous people you have known" thread, although I think I've now exhausted my fairly limited contribution to the subject...

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I wonder what is going to happen in 3-4 years time,2 years after we may have haggled out our exit. What will happen when those people in Sunderland and Walsall and Sheffield find that Brexit hasn't given them the magical benefit of well paid jobs and that inflation is up and austerity is biting yet again ?

What happens when there is limited immigration and yet still there are no new well paid jobs ? Who and what can they blame then ?. We are slightly luckier down south but I still don't see any benefits in leaving, the NHS " Funding " has gone already, today the governor of the Bank of England predicts a slowdown of the economy and a reduction in interest rates in order to stimulate some kind of growth.

We are not going to be going through a boom any time for the foreseeable future and when the penny drops to those disaffected Leavers, who do they turn on next ?
Blame the current immigrants that have been living here for years :nono:

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
We are the 5th largest economy in the world and 2nd largest economy in the EU, we can thrive and open our vision beyond what Brussels and their politically concocted European member states determine, we can use our size to negotiate within the EU whilst unilaterally forging new trading relationships without firstly asking for some preferences from another 27 nations which I suspect drag us into less favourable agreements.

Do you not think we have got to the position of having the 5th largest economy from being in the EU? :ffsparr:

You say we we can forge new trade relationships outside of the EU. What maybe the commonwealth? Funny how all the brexiters are saying we can trade with other countries... Every world leader said it was better for us to stay ffs... We won't get as good trade deals without being in the EU.

Btw we already have dropped below 5th ... tha escalated quickly didn't.

I want the country to just split 'remainers' down south, 'leavers' up north (majority votes in those areas) and see which half of the country flourishes... I know where my money is...

Up north would end up like a scene from Mad Max

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Remind me, what was Nige's 'proper job' again?

Unfunny Pub Bore sidekick to Al Murray's equally Unfunny Pub Landlord?

Murray-Farage.jpg

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I'm just going to quote my German friend again...

... he's a great guy, but there's one really annoying thing about him--he's hardly ever wrong.

Could you please ask your German friend what he thinks about the fact that the EU have NEVER passed a financial audit? Can you ask him what he thinks about all the unelected 'officials' with their snouts in the trough and no intention of ever changing anything as it may stop the flow to them? Can you ask him what he thinks about the fisheries policy that allows Spanish fishing fleets to hoover up millions of tons of fish (of all sizes) while our boats are constantly confined to ports for catching a few small fish in with their catch (and perhaps he could suggest how to stop this?). Can you ask him what he thinks about the agricultural policy that allows French farmers to receive massive subsidies for over-growing things that cannot be sold? Can you ask him what he thinks about the complete failure to reform these areas because of the stubborn self-interest of the countries receiving these ridiculous payouts?

Are all these things 'a huge sham' too?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Do you not think we have got to the position of having the 5th largest economy from being in the EU? :ffsparr:

You say we we can forge new trade relationships outside of the EU. What maybe the commonwealth? Funny how all the brexiters are saying we can trade with other countries... Every world leader said it was better for us to stay ffs... We won't get as good trade deals without being in the EU.

Look it is quite clear there will be some trade deal with Europe too, but as a globally strong nation, economically, cultural and politically we should strike favourable deals for ourselves without the baggage of conflicting 27 other member states that are likely to have different preferences to what is important to them when agreeing any deals, it must inevitably make those negotiation more difficult.

Europe's size and the many parts of their political union have failing economies, it isnt a dynamic successful economic area wheras the UK comparably is, size isnt everything, but if independent countries that have some size linked with a succeeding economy shouldnt fear leaving and forging it's won way.

You are naive in the extreme if you believe the mealy mouthed words of other leaders, no doubt the self same leaders advised that we join the EU and we all know that would have been a disaster, so take your pick.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
The part where their country voted remain and yet they're forced to leave, I guess.

But after the Scots voted to remain within the UK democracy (with a massively privileged position of having a semi-autonomous assembly and massive over-representation of the nationalist agenda at Westminster - 40-odd % of the vote and 90-odd % of the MPs; ability to vote on laws for England in areas that are governed from Edinburgh for Scotland, so that they can maximise their financial benefit from the Barnett formula?).
NI opinion polls are also consistently in favour of staying in the UK.

The current shenanigans from Jimmy Krankie and her ilk would be risible if they weren't so offensive, particularly when they rely on a "democracy" argument. What they're pleading is the antithesis of democracy and more contemptible than the '2nd referendum' crew by a mile.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Look it is quite clear there will be some trade deal with Europe too, but as a globally strong nation, economically, cultural and politically we should strike favourable deals for ourselves without the baggage of conflicting 27 other member states that are likely to have different preferences to what is important to them when agreeing any deals, it must inevitably make those negotiation more difficult.

Europe's size and the many parts of their political union have failing economies, it isnt a dynamic successful economic area wheras the UK comparably is, size isnt everything, but if independent countries that have some size linked with a succeeding economy shouldnt fear leaving and forging it's won way.

You are naive in the extreme if you believe the mealy mouthed words of other leaders, no doubt the self same leaders advised that we join the EU and we all know that would have been a disaster, so take your pick.

Simply there will of course still be trade deals with Europe and the rest of the world... however they will not be as beneficial to us and as we slide down the list of top economies and as we continue to get downgraded we will not long have the upper hand making these new trade deals.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Could you please ask your German friend what he thinks about the fact that the EU have NEVER passed a financial audit? Can you ask him what he thinks about all the unelected 'officials' with their snouts in the trough and no intention of ever changing anything as it may stop the flow to them? Can you ask him what he thinks about the fisheries policy that allows Spanish fishing fleets to hoover up millions of tons of fish (of all sizes) while our boats are constantly confined to ports for catching a few small fish in with their catch (and perhaps he could suggest how to stop this?). Can you ask him what he thinks about the agricultural policy that allows French farmers to receive massive subsidies for over-growing things that cannot be sold? Can you ask him what he thinks about the complete failure to reform these areas because of the stubborn self-interest of the countries receiving these ridiculous payouts?

Will do. As soon as I have his answer, I'll post it here.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Simply there will of course still be trade deals with Europe and the rest of the world... however they will not be as beneficial to us and as we slide down the list of top economies and as we continue to get downgraded we will not long have the upper hand making these new trade deals.

Which part of the EU has a better credit rating than us, what is the overall credit rating compared to the UK as we speak now ??

I cannot be sure as I havent checked and ultimately these are always likely to be fluid and ever changing, trade of goods and services is key, to and from the EU but throughout the world.

If for one moment we agree to disagree on the medium term effect, how is it that we will inevitably 'slide down the list of economies', which country within the EU would benefit from less trade with its biggest partner and which countries will prop up the EU member states whilst they ignore our markets as we do them, Lithuania, Estonia, Spain, Greece, who exactly ??

If you look at the GDP of individual members states as soon as you get past, Germany, we are then the largest economy then comes France and then Italy which is a third smaller than the UK we then very quickly get to economies like Spain that is half the size of ours, then onto the Netherlands that are a quarter the size of ours and it quickly diminishes further.

Last edited:

Craven Wine

Apr 29, 2012
The Scottish and Northern Ireland MEP's were an embarrassment grovelling pair of idiots and like it or lump it they are part of the UK

Oh the Irony of it, sounds like the little Brexiters complaining about others following thier example..

Jan 30, 2008
So you have no ideas or solutions to the current poverty levels and feelings of disassociation felt by so many..... what manufacturing business's would you like to see set up and what is your business plan ? Now there is a bright future ahead of us where do you see it going ? what market do you anticipate selling to ?

regards, Vegster
I'm not a politician or a buisness man but I have total belief iin this country to make a go of it unlike your weak deafeatist attitude get over it you cant live in the past for ever
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here