Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Marathon Thread

Just wondering if there should be a cut off time for the marathon? Total respect to the runners but whats the point of the lardos in fancy dress going on a long walk?
I think it spoils the running side of the event,could we not have a separate 26 mile walking event.They seem to have no intention of running and its quite clear that have not trained but somehow they are now marathon runners????

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Just wondering if there should be a cut off time for the marathon? Total respect to the runners but whats the point of the lardos in fancy dress going on a long walk?
I think it spoils the running side of the event,could we not have a separate 26 mile walking event.They seem to have no intention of running and its quite clear that have not trained but somehow they are now marathon runners????

This varies from event to event.......the 50 I did last week has rigorous cut-offs at every checkpoint, if you're too late you are unceremoniously pulled from the race, and if you don't make the finish by the cutoff you get no medal. For events like Brighton, the rules are pretty clear in that after a certain time (I think it is 7 hours) you're deemed 'on your own' as road closures are reopened etc. You still get a medal though! Perhaps this is where a cut-off should apply (but bear in mind the BM is a commercial enterprise, so they are happy to take anyone's money). Also, no-one can stop you completing the course on public roads.

For mass participation events like Brighton I think they have got it right. A lot do these knowing they are going to mostly walk, but they'll all be facing their own challenges (may not be lack of training - could be disability for example) and where would you draw the line ? 4 hours ? 5 ? 6 ? Stop anyone seen walking at any point ? I have several clubmates that train their guts out and struggle through in say 5.30 - they work as hard as someone doing sub 3, they are just slower. Stopping anyone walking would count me out of all the marathons I have done. It's a bit niggling sometimes to see people claiming to have 'run' a marathon in 6-7 hours when you know they could have trained far more but live and let live I say - I think the vast majority of marathon runners are only competing against themselves.

Interesting debate though.....

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Many of the walkers are raising huge sums of money for charities linked to love ones. The Martlets , for example. It's an event more than a race and each to ones own.I am all for road closures. They make Brighton and Hove serene.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interesting debate though.....

Many of the walkers are raising huge sums of money for charities linked to love ones. The Martlets , for example. It's an event more than a race and each to ones own.I am all for road closures. They make Brighton and Hove serene.

Don't feed the attention-seeking troll and allow a decent thread to be de-railed.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
This varies from event to event.......the 50 I did last week has rigorous cut-offs at every checkpoint

You did 50 marathons last week?

Aww, was looking forward to hearing about all his own marathon experiences

Never done one,would run between 6-16 miles but when training for a marathon injury stopped me running over 15 miles and if i could not run the marathon i saw no point in walking it. Knees are completely knackered now and although a little jealous of RUNNERS i also have huge respect for those that make the effort. I just think it devalues their efforts when others can take part without really running. Not trolling just love watching sporting efforts not large people getting clapped for walking what should be a run.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Never done one,would run between 6-16 miles but when training for a marathon injury stopped me running over 15 miles and if i could not run the marathon i saw no point in walking it. Knees are completely knackered now and although a little jealous of RUNNERS i also have huge respect for those that make the effort. I just think it devalues their efforts when others can take part without really running. Not trolling just love watching sporting efforts not large people getting clapped for walking what should be a run.

I,ll bite.

Last week I was unfortunate enough to suffer a heart attack and spent a few days in Worthing hospital, but was 'put back together again' by the heart surgeons and nursing staff. I was discharged late on Saturday (my birthday..lol) and on Sunday morning someone was kind enough to take me to the end of New Church road to watch a bit of the marathon.

Ninja Elephant said in an earlier post how good and humbling it was to hear spectators cheering them on etc etc.

From my perspective as a spectator, I watched runners/walkers going past with sweat dripping dripping from them.....and many clearly feeling the pain. But they carried on...............wearing their various singlets/vests supporting Scope , MacMillan and dozens of worthy causes. Not least of these many causes was the British Heart Foundation who I have absolutely no doubt, I will be turning to for advice etc etc in the very near future.

To say it was emotional watching these runners/walkers going through the pain barrier for people like me is the understatement of the decade. I could only only watch for 20 minutes as I was feeling so tired , so I missed the massive efforts of so many on here who I desperately wanted to see (Tony Bloom, El Pres and Edna to mention just a few).

I want to say a massive thankyou to all of those who took part.....and quite frankly.....bollocks to you and your continual shite.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Blimey, get well soon Colin

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Let the record show that as I shouted my support to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] on Boundary Road he flipped the bird at me and told me to **** off.

His mood had obviously improved when he got to the Lagoon and by the time he went past the Deep Sea Anglers he looked to be cruising.

Well done Knocky x

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Let the record show that as I shouted my support to [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] on Boundary Road he flipped the bird at me and told me to **** off.

His mood had obviously improved when he got to the Lagoon and by the time he went past the Deep Sea Anglers he looked to be cruising.

Well done Knocky x

Was that when I came out of the Anglers at 6.30 after 5 pints of Kronenbourg? Cheers for your family support.

I,ll bite.

Last week I was unfortunate enough to suffer a heart attack and spent a few days in Worthing hospital, but was 'put back together again' by the heart surgeons and nursing staff. I was discharged late on Saturday (my birthday..lol) and on Sunday morning someone was kind enough to take me to the end of New Church road to watch a bit of the marathon.

Ninja Elephant said in an earlier post how good and humbling it was to hear spectators cheering them on etc etc.

From my perspective as a spectator, I watched runners/walkers going past with sweat dripping dripping from them.....and many clearly feeling the pain. But they carried on...............wearing their various singlets/vests supporting Scope , MacMillan and dozens of worthy causes. Not least of these many causes was the British Heart Foundation who I have absolutely no doubt, I will be turning to for advice etc etc in the very near future.

To say it was emotional watching these runners/walkers going through the pain barrier for people like me is the understatement of the decade. I could only only watch for 20 minutes as I was feeling so tired , so I missed the massive efforts of so many on here who I desperately wanted to see (Tony Bloom, El Pres and Edna to mention just a few).

I want to say a massive thankyou to all of those who took part.....and quite frankly.....bollocks to you and your continual shite.

All the best for your recovery:thumbsup:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I
Sorry mate, did n't find you (or the pacers) at the start. Did n't know after that whether you were in front of me or behind, kept looking at all the up and down areas but without success. Maybe you were just weighed down with your national winnings! Back to PR Saturday.

Ha ha. Who is playing mind games now? Getting me while I am down :lolol:
Just looked at your splits for yesterday and you ran a negative split second half. Brilliant and if you had seen me I would have been ready to give up. At 30k I was 2 minutes up on your chip time and all set for sub 3:45 except for last 10k I lost 10 minutes to you. Inow see I was not prepared for the distance, unlike last year. It was not the wall but I had nothing left.
So tomorrow I will ENTER again. First because I still enjoyed the day in a masochistic sort of way and secondly because I can do better than that.
Have come up with a master plan, with brother, for keeping our respective marriages alive. We will not tell them we have entered till next March as they will then not have to listen to us, which seems to be the major issue.
Right what was that about Parkrun?

Ralphingtonpuss

May 27, 2010
Nottingham
Finished my second Brighton marathon yesterday in a two minute slower time than last year. Having said that my training this year was pants due to pain and injury.
Great support and crowds yesterday so well done to you all. Water stations were interesting [emoji33].
So no more marathons for me, not sure if I'm glad or not? I will be there on the 17th next year though supporting others that are running for our charity and also running the 10k, well it wouldn't be right to do nothing [emoji106][emoji2]. Again well done to all who took part.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I,ll bite.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Just went for a walk along the sea front - what a contrast to yesterday, hardly anyone around, about 20 degrees cooler and so foggy you could barely see the sea let alone the pier. Just loads of empty gel sachets lying around to remind you of what took place barely 24 hours ago!

Ralphingtonpuss

May 27, 2010
Nottingham
I,ll bite.

From someone who deals with people suffering a heart attack in their first minutes I have seen and heard of some great and happy recoveries, some patients even reported feeling fitter and healthier after leaving hospital. I wish you a great recovery, all the best [emoji106]🏻[emoji2]

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Manchester marathon for me this Sunday.

Training has not been good for this one. Tweaked my calf at new Orleans in january and limped into the half marathon finish instead.

Have managed 5 weeks training for manchester including one long run, 18 miles on Good Friday. Looking to jog round Manchester, will no doubt be around 5 hours after wanting to train for a 3.49.59 or better.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here