Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Biggest rip-offs in Britain..

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A certain forest based holiday camp aimed at the middle classes. Not cheap to start and then once you're in there's no where else to spend your money except their supermarkets, restaurants and extras that you discover aren't included. Amazes me people put up with it

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Good few years back Sainsburys opened a new supermarket on the site of the old cattle market right next to Haywards Heath station. They did free parking but ONLY IF YOU LEFT YOUR HEADLIGHTS ON !!

Clever this, as all of their customers are in and out in under an hour - so your battery won't go flat. If you're there all day (commuters), by 4pm your battery's flat so your lights are out, you get a ticket.

Smart eh?

No, totally irresponsible

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Paying for parking the car at hospital.

When I worked at RSCH some years ago and parking was free...yes, it was YEARS ago the car park was always rammed with day trippers taking the piss and no one needing to use the car parks for actual hospital business could get in.

Free parking at places like Arrowe Park in Birkenhead or Rotherham Hospital is unlikely to get abused because no bugger wants to go to them for recreation in the local area. Free car parks in tourist towns like Brighton or shopping destinations like London would be abused big style.

Agreed about the paying for parking at hospitals. What really pisses me off more though is the hiring of rip off, cowboy criminal parking companies to 'manage' the hospital car parks. They are absolute scum who break the law and bully vulnerable people. And as I know they use Google reporting to find what people have posted about them online I'm talking about you Parking Eye, G24, Excel, Capital to Coast. Utter utter utter scum.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
A certain forest based holiday camp aimed at the middle classes. Not cheap to start and then once you're in there's no where else to spend your money except their supermarkets, restaurants and extras that you discover aren't included. Amazes me people put up with it

Totally agree about the final cost all in, coming to well into 4 figures, especially in school holidays, for 4 or 7 days.

But, they are a very safe environment for kids with no cars about on non-changeover days, comfy roomy villas and beds, and kids love it all. The owners know they have all that with no decent competitors, and so can rake the money in.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Parking charges at Wakehurst for National trust ticket holders , however I have paid RBG q £25 to be able to continue to park visit one of my favourite gardens .

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Food at football grounds especially burgers and hot dogs as they look horrible, I know the pies are popular at the Amex but they are double the price of a chip shop pie, I have only ever bought 1 pie at the Amex and personally I prefer a Pukka Pie that costs £2 from my local chip shop.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I know it wasn't Britain, but I paid £40 for four sandwiches, three drinks and a packet of crisps at Barcelona airport.

You greedy *******!

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Although a luxury I always find it boggling that HMV, the ones that still exist still charge up to 17 quid for a new relax DVD. Have they learned nothing?

I know. Do people even still buy DVD's now?

viscentaye

Jun 26, 2012
I know. Do people even still buy DVD's now?

Mostly rely on On Demand from Sky for movies now, especially for days like today with the kids.

£9.99 for most non blu ray releases is okay but watched once or twice only so don't spend nowhere near as much on DVDs as used to.

Anyone used Sky's Buy and Keep service yet - do you receive THE dvd as from the shops or a blank disc in a plastic sleeve?

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
When I've had visitors from the US or Canada over, they are in shock at how we are fleeced for products in this country. Paying the equivalent to over $5 for a coffee in some places was the biggest choker for them.

Whenever I go to the US, I always take a near empty full sized case. Its usually bursting upon my return!

Agreed. Generally most stuff is much cheaper in the States. There are a few exceptions, booze is definitely more expensive in NYC than London. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Yanks just won’t put up with being ripped off whereas us Brits seem to roll over and accept it. When I was back in the UK a few weeks ago (admittedly the first time in a year) I could not believe how expensive rail travel was and as for the Underground – they are really taking the piss - £4.70 from Victoria to Green Park!! I guess Oyster makes it cheaper or is it Boris’s plan to make people do more exercise. Its $2.75 for a single Ride Ticket (£1.65) on the Subway – one stop or from the Bronx to JFK airport, none of this zoning bollocks. At least The Standard was free

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agreed. Generally most stuff is much cheaper in the States. There are a few exceptions, booze is definitely more expensive in NYC than London. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Yanks just won’t put up with being ripped off whereas us Brits seem to roll over and accept it. When I was back in the UK a few weeks ago (admittedly the first time in a year) I could not believe how expensive rail travel was and as for the Underground – they are really taking the piss - £4.70 from Victoria to Green Park!! I guess Oyster makes it cheaper or is it Boris’s plan to make people do more exercise. Its $2.75 for a single Ride Ticket (£1.65) on the Subway – one stop or from the Bronx to JFK airport, none of this zoning bollocks. At least The Standard was free

Same here. I struggle to think of anything which is not cheaper in Germany bar a few obvious food items like fish and beef.

Last edited:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
It's only 3 miles ,i detest Cab Drivers.

In Brighton/London i'd agree, especially having just moved back from Sheffield, whereby a taxi to the station (3 miles) used to cost me £5.30 - standard pre-booked price.

We used to get taxi's on a night out, and at about 3/4am in the morning, a taxi 2 miles home was about £4.50-£5.80 (and they are all 5/6 seaters) - Bargain.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Oh, and the first that comes to my head (that hasn't been mentioned dozens of times already)....

Dominoes. £18 for a pizza. Have not, and never will, pay that.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There are electronic cards nowadays or you can order from sites like Moonpig?
Contact lenses could be collected from a store
Plenty of alternative courier companies that offer parcels and package delivery (i think RM are quite expensive for these due to pricing in proportion anyway so could be cheaper to use the alternatives like TNT)
Wet signatures - more and more places are happy with electronic signatures and very few things still require wet signatures, besides, would you send it 2nd class via RM for 74p if it was an important document - You could e-mail the original, they could print, sign, scan and e-mail it back.

Moonpig? No thanks.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Mostly rely on On Demand from Sky for movies now, especially for days like today with the kids.

£9.99 for most non blu ray releases is okay but watched once or twice only so don't spend nowhere near as much on DVDs as used to.

Anyone used Sky's Buy and Keep service yet - do you receive THE dvd as from the shops or a blank disc in a plastic sleeve?

You get it in the proper packaging as if from the shop

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here