Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale in the bottom 3

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He was one injury away from it last season. Best keeper in the Championship and the rest were either totally out of form or carrying injuries. Perhaps you didn't notice.

I'd have been surprised given his age but it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could have got a call up as a backup. Chelsea were seriously looking at him last year so he is (was) rated highly.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Would have thought he was sold the dream by Redknapp. They signed him as a statement of intent and I remember there was talk of them signing John Terry and Ashley Cole at the time. All went a bit belly up soon after!
That's a bit harsh...he's just big-boned!

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
He got a long contract and security for his family. We got a new, better keeper.

All turned out ok in the end. I wish him well, personally.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Bit off topic but Ollie Watkins (Brentford) looks a real prospect. Remember him catching the eye at Exeter too. One to keep an eye on me thinks.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
He was one injury away from it last season. Best keeper in the Championship and the rest were either totally out of form or carrying injuries. Perhaps you didn't notice.

Point being if he'd stepped up his game rather than taking semi retirement and a fat wedge from 'arry then who knows.

Btw he made the squad when he was at Fulham.

He was not best keeper in the championship.

Rob Green, Kieran Westwood, Darlow are better keepers

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I reckon Kuszack was a better stopper for us than Stockdale, but Stockdale had great distribution and was a leader, a good influence on the team and a strong character.
He was good for us, reading between the lines, I reckon he and his agent played hardball in negotiations thinking they would get the money they wanted from Albion, it didn't work out, and he had to go to another option. Glad we have Ryan, but I would be happy to have Stockdale as backup.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
But therein lies the obvious mistake. Who would believe 'Onest 'Arry?

I can understand DS taking the cash, but if his decision to join Birmingham with that useless chancer in charge was anything more, then you have to question his sanity.

Mind, didn't he start a business with Leon Knight..... And he was always super touchy on Twitter if anyone made the slightest comment about him.

Loved Stockdale as a player for us. Clearly a decent bloke as well, but maybe not the sharpest. Still think he could have played for England if he'd stayed, used the pressure to improve and fought for his place.

Played for England? Really? Yes on his day Stockdale was capable of the odd brilliant save, but my word, he was capable of cock ups too. Conveniently forgotten, especially during our promotiom season last year.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
In the Championship he was good for us and I'm certain we (the club) were good for him. He seemed to keep his weight relatively better and to be enjoying himself.

I can't say I'm particularly surprised at what has happened since he chose Birmingham and think 99% of us on here could see it happening at the time. Also don't think we overly miss him on the bench as am sure Krul is as good just not home grown. I can well believe we were only offering him 1 year at 10K and at a push might have gone 2 years at that wage or instead slightly higher on wage. If he (or agent) tried to push for more I doubt those at the top would have budged. There is a place for sentiment in order to offer a player not too fussed about what they are worth, but we are not going to offer MORE for someone on sentiment alone...... if that makes sense.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Very sad. This thread should not be on here. We owe him a great deal of respect for his efforts last year

Agree. A key member of the squad that got us promoted.

Whilst his decision baffled me, I have huge respect for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
In the Championship he was good for us and I'm certain we (the club) were good for him. He seemed to keep his weight relatively better and to be enjoying himself.

I can't say I'm particularly surprised at what has happened since he chose Birmingham and think 99% of us on here could see it happening at the time. Also don't think we overly miss him on the bench as am sure Krul is as good just not home grown. I can well believe we were only offering him 1 year at 10K and at a push might have gone 2 years at that wage or instead slightly higher on wage. If he (or agent) tried to push for more I doubt those at the top would have budged. There is a place for sentiment in order to offer a player not too fussed about what they are worth, but we are not going to offer MORE for someone on sentiment alone...... if that makes sense.

Tim Krul is home grown. He was part of the Newcastle youth team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here