Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Are the Tories committing political suicide?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
How can they sell the debt on if it's agreed to be written off after X years? That would breach the original loan agreement and make the debt worthless. Wouldn't it?

I mean it is happening already... https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/06/universities-minister-announces-sale-of-student-loan-book

In theory, all it should mean is that the loan is paid back on the same terms to a private company (Erudio), in reality, it means that the collecting is more aggressive and often results in mistakes like this https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/08/student-loans-firm-erudio-leaves-graduates-fuming-over-latest-error

I've already received a letter in error telling me that I had to start repaying and mine hasn't even been sold off yet...

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I see Theresa May's university review will not scrap tuition fees and she's pledged to keep the £9,250 cap.

Given Labour have said they'll abolish tuition fees, given the young were overruled on Brexit and it is now almost impossible for them to get on the housing ladder aren't the Tories not just in danger of losing the young voters but in creating enough bad feeling to lose their votes for a generation?

Agree the Tories need to do more to appeal to younger voters but it's not like HMG is awash with money to throw at different sections of the electorate. Promising the world in opposition is easy, delivering is another matter. The consequences of one term of a Corbyn government should bring them back to their senses ...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I mean it is happening already... https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/feb/06/universities-minister-announces-sale-of-student-loan-book

In theory, all it should mean is that the loan is paid back on the same terms to a private company (Erudio), in reality, it means that the collecting is more aggressive and often results in mistakes like this https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/apr/08/student-loans-firm-erudio-leaves-graduates-fuming-over-latest-error

I've already received a letter in error telling me that I had to start repaying and mine hasn't even been sold off yet...
Interesting. So a loan which will only repaid if the individual earns over a certain amount, and will be written off after a number of years if it isn't repaid in full, gets sold to a private company. But (in this latest case) will still be administered by the SLC (as the previous sale went so badly).

What an almighty **** up. Be interesting to see how many pence in the pound the company buying such volatile and eventually possibly worthless debt are paying when they aren't even absorbing the admin costs.

Another great deal for the taxpayer and "nothing will change" for those with the loans. Of course. FFS.

I wonder where the magic money tree is which pays for the billions written off on such a sale. And this is on loans made prior to the increase in fees.... Wow.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Agree the Tories need to do more to appeal to younger voters but it's not like HMG is awash with money to throw at different sections of the electorate. Promising the world in opposition is easy, delivering is another matter. The consequences of one term of a Corbyn government should bring them back to their senses ...

Seems like HMG can currently chuck plenty at student loans. Just in a roundabout way, where we (the country) lose loads of it.

I take it you'll choose not to read about that though. #holdthepartyline

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Seems like HMG can currently chuck plenty at student loans. Just in a roundabout way, where we (the country) lose loads of it.

I take it you'll choose not to read about that though. #holdthepartyline

Yes but that's a current expense hence the year-long review. Other options aren't going to be cheaper are they?

I'm always open/fair-minded as you know.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I'd be surprised if Corbyn will be around to lead Labour into the next General Election (and May, for that matter). More like Johnson vs Umunna.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'd be surprised if Corbyn will be around to lead Labour into the next General Election (and May, for that matter). More like Johnson vs Umunna.

Corbyn and his devoted followers have strengthened their grip on controlling the Labour party so I can't see him being replaced, especially by a Blairite. More likely May will be gone though.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Corbyn and his devoted followers have strengthened their grip on controlling the Labour party so I can't see him being replaced, especially by a Blairite. More likely May will be gone though.

Quite. Umunna has zero chance of being elected - he won't even stand. It's perfectly possibly that Corbyn will be gone before 2022. I reckon the next leader will almost certainly be a woman: Thornberry or Rayner, with Long-Bailey as an outsider.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Labour's policy prior to the election was to abolish tuition fees. That remains Labour's policy. They haven't backtracked on anything.

I refer you to my post #87 for more info.

I'm sure Mcdonut gave an interview backtracking all the way with regards to this issue stating they could help a little bit but not clear as promised during the election campaign. Lots of potential unhappy voters on this one. Just have to await the next election and what they promise then

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Quite. Umunna has zero chance of being elected - he won't even stand. It's perfectly possibly that Corbyn will be gone before 2022. I reckon the next leader will almost certainly be a woman: Thornberry or Rayner, with Long-Bailey as an outsider.

Long-Bailey, bloody hell. Get Starmer in and I might vote Labour for the first time in my life

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I'm sure Mcdonut gave an interview backtracking all the way with regards to this issue stating they could help a little bit but not clear as promised during the election campaign. Lots of potential unhappy voters on this one. Just have to await the next election and what they promise then

More fake news.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
By 2020, two thirds of children with a single parent could be living in poverty.
Absolutely stunning statistic. What happened to the JAM's.
Someone should burn this witch before it's too late.
But don't forget this is only possible because we have a strong economy.
And to think that people defend them on this board.
Unbelievable.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
By 2020, two thirds of children with a single parent could be living in poverty.
Unbelievable.
Dead link.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Unbelievable.

I find it utterly unbelievable that anyone can call themselves a Tory these days.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Shame, as I like Umunna.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here