Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Nick Powell

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'd take him for £5m. Nothing in today's prices. Just a question of whether Wigan have to sell. I suspect they don't at the moment.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ouch. Getting mentioned in the same breathe as Ryan Harley. Tough crowd.

Ha, Harley was (is?) a player whose ability wasn't in question, but his attitude was, Never produced the sort of skills for us that he regularly displayed at Exeter. Maybe League Two is his level, or maybe he just didn't want to put the effort in that was required at a higher standard, and liked being treated like a hero in Devon.

I'm not saying Powell is a League Two player, to be clear :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ha, Harley was (is?) a player whose ability wasn't in question, but his attitude was, Never produced the sort of skills for us that he regularly displayed at Exeter. Maybe League Two is his level, or maybe he just didn't want to put the effort in that was required at a higher standard, and liked being treated like a hero in Devon.

I'm not saying Powell is a League Two player, to be clear :)

Welcome back from Africa land

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I'd take him for £5m. Nothing in today's prices. Just a question of whether Wigan have to sell. I suspect they don't at the moment.

They're top of League One and very near to being taken over by Chinese investors. Think it'll take a big bid before they would even consider letting him go.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
They're top of League One and very near to being taken over by Chinese investors. Think it'll take a big bid before they would even consider letting him go.

Why would Chinese investors take over Wigan ? I just don't get that..

Yeah they had a few years in the Premier league and won the FA cup but they are hardly or have been a hot bed of football, being stuck in between Manchester and Liverpool does not help.

I guess another western play thing.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014

Nor do I. They're not one of the clubs you would assume would be near the top of any list. Sun and Mail are reporting it as a Chinese group with talks are apparently at an advanced stage, and BBC said that any deal would also need their approval before it could be signed off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42753690

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Nor do I. They're not one of the clubs you would assume would be near the top of any list. Sun and Mail are reporting it as a Chinese group with talks are apparently at an advanced stage, and BBC said that any deal would also need their approval before it could be signed off.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42753690

The only logical reason is they are a fairly recent ex premier league team, with a relatively new stadium that needs no work doing to it other than cosmetic at worse.
Otherwise teams like Charlton, or Blackburn would stand out as more potential it has to be a fairly cheap play thing.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
They're unbeaten with Walton in goal perhaps making the loan permanent would sweeten the deal.
Not that I want shot of Walton but he's too tall to be a keeper

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
The only logical reason is they are a fairly recent ex premier league team, with a relatively new stadium that needs no work doing to it other than cosmetic at worse.
Otherwise teams like Charlton, or Blackburn would stand out as more potential it has to be a fairly cheap play thing.

I read somewhere that the potential buyers are a Chinese betting firm and the price is just £15m. So Powell is worth how much?

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
You'd hope his attitude has improved a bit if there is anything in this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...ell-loan-deal-after-exasperating-coaches.html Sent back from loan at Leicester for not putting in the effort and turning up late

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...anchester-united-forward-nick-powell-10237434 'Disillusioned with football' and 'showed little appetite for the game'

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/nick-powell-failed-change-manchester-10835971 Being a knob on Twitter, accused of being 'too big for his boots'

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
See? I got lambasted on another thread yesterday, when l suggested that we could still do with one more striker. Yes ok, as someone said, we currently have FIVE senior strikers on our books, but bearing in mind two of those are Hemed and Baldock, we know that we can't rely on those two to score us the goals that we so desperately need to survive.

I don't know if Nick Powell is the answer, but at least he would be another option.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Yeah they had a few years in the Premier league and won the FA cup but they are hardly or have been a hot bed of football, being stuck in between Manchester and Liverpool does not help.

I guess another western play thing.

Because England is running out of teams to be taken over? Barnsley, for christ sake, were recently take over by a Chinese-American consortium

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
See? I got lambasted on another thread yesterday, when l suggested that we could still do with one more striker. Yes ok, as someone said, we currently have FIVE senior strikers on our books, but bearing in mind two of those are Hemed and Baldock, we know that we can't rely on those two to score us the goals that we so desperately need to survive.

I don't know if Nick Powell is the answer, but at least he would be another option.

It was me. Nick Powell is not a striker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here