Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baker Street: Brighton's Best Kept Secret?

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Next time we are in the area will go and have a look. Wife likes different coloured Barbs but those we get from Hassocks only last about 12 months and I dont know if that is usual or not.

Paraquatics is prob best in town for fish BG, tropical & marine, on Portland Rd fyi.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
really missed John's Camping Shop this week ... got rained on so many times I had to go into Brighton to look for a 'back-up' water-proof jacket, always bought them in John's before he retired
On the plus side, there's an interesting cafe/canteen place opened near Preston Circus, really old-style with smelly plastic table clothes and everything

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I go to Coombs for my goldfish. I bought 4 over seven years ago, one died earlier this year, but the other three are still going strong.
I went there with my parents to get guppies and neons about 40 years ago! The fish are dead now.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Anybody had a tablet repaired at Complete Phones if so are they ok? My Samsung tablet is charging very slow and either needs new battery or charging port. for which they quoted £45 for port but less for battery. The phone shop next to McDonalds quoted £30 but didnt sound as convincing as the one in Baker St, so in a bit of a dilemma. I considered buying each on ebay and fitting it as Google says very easy 5 mins but a friend tells me that lots can go wrong as it is very intricate handling the wires etc.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Not so long ago there was some graffiti that read 'stop the gentrification of London Road,' which made me laugh. I think there's some way to go before that's a real danger. That said, there's now plenty of reasons to use the full two hours at the Sainsbury's car park. Kouzina in the Open Market, for example. Lovely Greek food.

And our students have their pop up shop there on a Wednesday... just saying like.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Anybody had a tablet repaired at Complete Phones if so are they ok? My Samsung tablet is charging very slow and either needs new battery or charging port. for which they quoted £45 for port but less for battery. The phone shop next to McDonalds quoted £30 but didnt sound as convincing as the one in Baker St, so in a bit of a dilemma. I considered buying each on ebay and fitting it as Google says very easy 5 mins but a friend tells me that lots can go wrong as it is very intricate handling the wires etc.

Seniors doing DIY on a tablet NOOOOoooooooooooooo!

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Have a look on Youtube. Plenty of instructional videos on changing Samsung tablet batteries. If you feel you're up to it after watching one, then go ahead. Me, I'd rather pay for someone to do it properly.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
really missed John's Camping Shop this week ... got rained on so many times I had to go into Brighton to look for a 'back-up' water-proof jacket, always bought them in John's before he retired
On the plus side, there's an interesting cafe/canteen place opened near Preston Circus, really old-style with smelly plastic table clothes and everything

There are smelly lots of things along that part of the London Road.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Have a look on Youtube. Plenty of instructional videos on changing Samsung tablet batteries. If you feel you're up to it after watching one, then go ahead. Me, I'd rather pay for someone to do it properly.

I think your last sentence is key. I wouldn't dare to touch anything electrical, far too much can go wrong, resulting in possible expensive repairs.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

That is my view also although brother in law is very good with his hands and delicate work and has what I dont have which is patience so am settling for shop repair with a comeback if anything goes wrong. I did look at you tube but after talking with daughter in laws brother who is a computer whizz, if you can nail him down, he said it is so easy to crack the screen and bring greater expense.. 5 years ago he offered to make me a computer for less than £100 still waiting so I wouldnt wait for him to do it.,

Last edited:

janee

Fur half
Oct 19, 2008
Lentil land
Ha! Am quite a fan of Baker Street, especially for keys and watch straps!

I remember when the Open Market re-opened (again) 3 years ago, the Arsegus (based in Southampton) described it as "the new Shoreditch"..

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
There are smelly lots of things along that part of the London Road.

Sorry to lower the tone of Baker Street thread, but I couldn't locate the London Road BN1 area thread I was looking for .....
I love living in this area and the West Indian food place smells gorgeous

edit, just remembered, walking home last night noticed a house up the road has a decorated Christmas tree in the window and lights
:lolol:

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can I just give a further gratuitous plug for Bangers Pies and this month's special, the sublime Beef Bourguignon. Pies don't get much better than this :drool:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Almost opposite Bangers is Pizza Pop which serves the best pizzas that I've had in Brighton - the truffle one is superb. And if you really want to pig out, they do a brilliant cheese board.

I've also started drinking in the Druids at the top of Baker St: it serves a lovely pint. I still prefer the Harvey's in the Mitre but the Druids makes a nice change.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Almost opposite Bangers is Pizza Pop which serves the best pizzas that I've had in Brighton - the truffle one is superb. And if you really want to pig out, they do a brilliant cheese board.

I've also started drinking in the Druids at the top of Baker St: it serves a lovely pint. I still prefer the Harvey's in the Mitre but the Druids makes a nice change.

I recommend Ghost Ship in the Druids if they still serve it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here