Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan. Discuss.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
He is 1/2 in taller but his hands are probably not as big. as Pat Jennings shovels.

Whilst you're here, as father of the house, who is the best keeper you've seen play for The Albion in your years of watching them?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Whilst you're here, as father of the house, who is the best keeper you've seen play for The Albion in your years of watching them?

Very difficult to say as many have had good seasons and bad season but for longevity I would have to go with Eric Gill as both Corrigan and Grummitt where both good but past their best when they played for us. Ben Roberts was good but only had a short span with us as No 1 due to injury. Ryan is up with the best.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Ryan is up with the best.

Thank-you - a quantified and qualified post as always. On Albion matters, the opinion of someone such as yourself who first watched the football club in the 1940s can only be respected in my opinion. I'm being perfectly serious when I say that too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Thank-you - a quantified and qualified post as always. On Albion matters, the opinion of someone such as yourself who first watched the football club in the 1940s can only be respected in my opinion. I'm being perfectly serious when I say that too.

Lucky you didn't ask him in September.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Lucky you didn't ask him in September.

When Ryan was a duffer and Birmingham City had robbed us of Stockdale and it was a disgrace that Albion goalkeepers weren't of the same moral fibre as Perry Digweed........or some such jazz. I sort of recall it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
When Ryan was a duffer and Birmingham City had robbed us of Stockdale and it was a disgrace that Albion goalkeepers weren't of the same moral fibre as Perry Digweed........or some such jazz. I sort of recall it.

This thread.....#12, #65, #69, #112.........interesting to flick back to the first few pages of this thread. Large order of humble pie might be on the way for a few. @BG is nowhere near the biggest critic.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Fast becoming one of my favourite players. The images of him running the length of the pitch to join in goal celebrations and chasing Jose will stay with me for a long time.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I would love it if we could sign a goalkeeper that could catch a football...

In the last three games he's played in he has either near enough thrown the ball into the goal or fumbled it into their strikers. For me it's £5 million down the pan.

Either give maenpaa a go or try and recruit again. As far as I can see Ryan is a liability

:lolol:

What a terrible signing and he is probably our top earner. David Stockdale is a clearly a better keeper so why did we not offer him the deal he deserved for his family and his future instead of paying 5 mill to Valencia and paying Ryan big wages. A real bad mistake by the club on this deal. Sorry to groan....

:lolol:

Ryan is crap. End of...Holds nothing, pushes everything away straight back into danger areas...Begovic £10m ...Ryan £6m....i know who I'd rather have.

And Shay Given is a free agent.

... and that's the hattrick! :lolol:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
This thread.....#12, #65, #69, #112.........interesting to flick back to the first few pages of this thread. Large order of humble pie might be on the way for a few. @BG is nowhere near the biggest critic.

I never said he was - I genuinely respect his opinion on Albion too as he's he's been watching the club a lot longer than I have. I believe it became a criminal offence in 1736 to accuse someone of being a witch in this country - it didn't stop some people throwing the accusation at Ryan this season though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
To be fair to Ryan all the new signings look shit :blush:

Poor signing. Really strange one. Was not good enough at Valencia

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

Absolutely joke of a signing. I've said this from day one. Keepers need to be well over 6 foot. What were the recruitment team thinking ?

This will go down as one of the biggest f.u.c.k. ups in our history due to it being our record signing at the time. The sooner he is dropped the better.

Awful. Looks like a very strange signing so far. Would like Maenpaa to start the next game.

Pretty much agree with all this apart from Ryan. He is a flop and there's no point glossing it over Jonathan.

Having watched him twice I must say I'm unconvinced.

I'd like to see Maenpaa given a chance personally.

Get the Finn in

Really not so sure. To me it barely looked like Leicester got out of first gear.

Ryan is rubbish though, weird scouting for that one.

At the moment he is a complete liability and worth a goal start to the opposition before the game has even kicked off.

I imagine Hughton's final instructions were something like, "keep it tight for the first 20 minutes then we can build on that..."

So what happens? Ryan spills a regulation shot after 45 seconds and bang - one down and effectively game over.

He needs to get his shit together very quickly.

it's possible, but letting in a soft goal every game is bad enough

We weren't good enough as a unit today and didn't deserve a point. However a really good goal keeping performance might have saved a point. That was NOT a good keeper performance

Things for Ryan
1. He is brave
2. He cost £5m and whatever some people say was always going to be set up as our first choice keeper at that price.
3. He deserves a longer chance before being written off

Things against Ryan
1. He is too short
2. He's never succeeded at this level. His record always concerned me.

Unfortunately the things against him are rather serious. I think we'll have a new keeper in the new year and Maenpaa will get his (deserved) chance before that.

Perhaps they need to put in more training with Ryan as he seems to pat balls away too much instead of collecting them cleanly.

Three bad mistakes in three games indicates he is nervous as he'll, which is not ideal for a keeper.

Personally, I think it is a crying shame we have this problem while Stockdale is wasting his time with Brum.

I've seen him play one game for Australia and three games for us and he made a goal conceding f#ck up in every one. Apart from that, I'm very happy with him.

He's not really a scapegoat. We can only judge on what we've seen and so far, he's a bit sh1t.

I would love it if we could sign a goalkeeper that could catch a football...

In the last three games he's played in he has either near enough thrown the ball into the goal or fumbled it into their strikers. For me it's £5 million down the pan.

Either give maenpaa a go or try and recruit again. As far as I can see Ryan is a liability

Really very poor once again which is worrying.

It's hard to be supportive when he seems to be unable to do the basics

What a terrible signing and he is probably our top earner. David Stockdale is a clearly a better keeper so why did we not offer him the deal he deserved for his family and his future instead of paying 5 mill to Valencia and paying Ryan big wages. A real bad mistake by the club on this deal. Sorry to groan....

Ryan is crap. End of...Holds nothing, pushes everything away straight back into danger areas...Begovic £10m ...Ryan £6m....i know who I'd rather have.

Just got back from the game.

It wasn't Ryan just doing his best Imperial Leather impression once again for the 1st goal. It was also :

1. He came out early for the 2nd half for a bit of confidence practice. One of the close range shots, a routine save a Sunday league keeper would make, spilled out of his hands and he semi luzzed it in the net. It was so bad it was laughable.
2. Duffy and Dunk not using him as a passing outlet after he almost got charged down twice in the 1st half. Cut our passing options out from the back.
3. The clear lack of communication from Ryan and body language all round. He reminds me of Tommy K by not coming off his line and inviting pressure onto the defence.

He needs to improve dramatically or be dropped sharpish.

People comparing him to Stockdale when we first signed him. Well that season was a disaster.

We can't give him a season to get up to standard. We will get routinely murdered

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I am sure there is a rational reason why we let Stockdale go, but to step up a league and let go of a keeper who was a big part of our promotion and back five continuity was a massive gamble, logic says we should have kept him rather than forming new playing relationships for a very tough season ahead.

Psychologically there would not have been the same pressure on Stockdale or the back five starting the season together because of being well drilled over a couple of seasons.

When we started at the Amex we were crying out for a decent keeper and now we let one go. I am sure there is a good reason for it but I just don't know what it is?

His butterfingers are more of a problem.

I'm normally a pragmatist and willing to give the benefit of the doubt. All the evidence at hand points towards him not being up to scratch so far.

Can't catch
Can't hold onto the football
Not a shot stopper
Doesn't command his area
Average (reasonable) distribution

I really want him to improve but it's 3 goals in 3 games down to him.

Ben Roberts would be better

He catches crosses ok it is his handling of shots that is suspect as he pushes the ball back into the danger area too often.

The thing here is that some of us, perhaps many of us can't quite understand why we signed a GK for £5m, who currently appears not up to task having allowed DS to leave apparently because we did not offer him a contract long enough for him to see through his offspring's senior education.
Thereafter we have ignored NM who is an international GK and who has NEVER, as far as I can see, let us down on any occasion he has been asked to start for the Albion.
Perhaps even more significantly, we have in Christian Walton, a young GK who has represented and currently represents our country at international level. Can anyone please tell me just how long it is anticipated that we will continue his development ?
The situation is beyond my understanding !

The guys way out of his depth. You got to hand it to him he's blagged a place in a premier league team and probably gets paid well over a million quid a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Stockdale would have stopped 3 of the 4 goals we conceded so far this season.

I'm really worried from what I have seen. I appreciate that every GK makes mistakes and these can cost goals, but this season especially we need a confident GK that is commanding and has a great relationship with the defence. Stockdale had this so I don't know why we didn't secure him for this season with whatever he wanted. It's going to take a fair while for Dunk, Duffy etc to have the same relationship and trust in Ryan and I hope when/if they do it's not too late.

He'd probably drop it ...

Anyone who saw Ryan's warm-up at Crawley, pre-season, would have had concerns over his handling.

Not seen anything subsequent to believe this was a one off.

I thought he could have come for the cross and also done better with the header. I think the fact he didn't save it is largely down to his height, unfortunately. If he'd been 6'4, he might have got to it.

Not only not good enough to start for Valencia but they didn't want him on the bench either. Is that Premier League ready? A strange record signing.

I'm suprised nobody has yet questioned his kicking and why he seems to aim for the 4th official every time he kicks it.

At least we don't have to look for our third choice keeper anymore. Looks like we've already got him.

Not fit for purpose. Sold under false pretences. Can we get our money back?

....got bored at this point [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
2 of those quotes came from me both saying similar that he was stopping the shots but palming them back into the danger area and it needed to be worked on. Full credit to him and Ben Roberts as they have obviously worked on it in training and he is not doing it now so full credit to all concerned they saw the problem and dealt with it in the correct manner.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
I think hes been great TBF....... BUT my only worry is, and it is every time there is a corner that we will conceded (and undo all our hard work in one moment) Its not just Ryan's fault tbf as the defending plays apart, but ultimately he is the keeper.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here