Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Most of Murrays goals appear to be flukes and penalties . . . They all count but he's nowhere near as stylish a striker as many.

John Byrne was quality
Nelson was good
I forgot about Nogan, but he did the business for a while
Robinson/Ritchie had moments at the top level

Frank Worthington anyone :lolol:

Ward and BZ will always be up there.

Maybe in 2 years when we're fighting for a Euro spot we'll add Locadia to this list?

Well call them flukes and penalties, they get goals thats all I give a monkeys about

Not always the most glamorous I agree ala Van Nistlerooy. You dont have to hit 30 yard blasters to be a good striker, some of the most prolific strikers are all about reading the game and making the space. All hail GM

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Bobby, who was interviewed on the pitch today, and made pretty clear he wanted us to LOSE!?
This, and the morons still chanted his name after he said it and thumbs uped the Irons fans.

On another note Pardew didn't rate our Glenn and that must haunt him everyrime he looks at our results, fantastic stuff.

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Can someone provide a definitive list of where Glenn stands in the all time rankings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Top 7:-

Tommy Cook scored 123 (114 League)
Kit Napier 99 (84)
Peter Ward 95 (81)
Bert Stephens 94 (86) - think some were in wartime
Albert Mundy 90 (87) - also before my time
Glenn Murray 90 (85)
Bobby Z 90 (83)

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
Not sure if Nicky Forster has had a mention yet - but I thought he was a very clinical striker who had a good partnership with GM at one time (Scored 51 in total)

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Murray has 8 PL goals this season.

That's as many as Sanchez, Hazard, Jesus and Mahrez. He has more goals than Calum Wilson, Dele ali, Sturridge and Rashford who are either playing or touted for England.

I don't disagree that we needed a new striker but you can't argue with Glenns contribution this season. On the flip slide you could easily argue that our entire defence and central midfield contributing a grand total of zero league goals is as much to do with our low scoring total than anything the forwards have done.

Last edited:

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

That's as many as Sanchez, Hazard, Jesus and Mahrez. He has more goals than Calum Wilson, Dele ali, Sturridge and Rashford who are either playing or touted for England.

I don't disagree that we needed a new striker but you can't argue with Glenns contribution this season. On the flip slide you could easily argue that our entire defence and central defence contributing a grand total of zero league goals is as much to do with our low scoring total than anything the forwards have done.

agree with the murray analysis and think he is undervalued, but personally i place the goalscoring 'blame' with our midfield rather than defense. wingers like knockaert and march have not contributed enough goal wise, and with march's horrible rebound attempt on saturday, you could tell that he had not scored for ages. in addition, the almost ever present CM duo of stephens and propper have contributed 0 league goals. i do not want to knock any of their overall effort this season, as they have all given 110%, particularly the CM duo, but from a purely goal-scoring perspective the midfield (excluding gross who has played further forward) has not been amazing this season. i would also however like to have seen our CB's pose a little more of a threat from corners this season too. not to worry. if we play anything like we did in the 2nd half we'll be fine

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Put another way, the top 6 have their own league. Take their players out of the scoring charts and it looks like this :

Vardy 12
Rooney 10
Mahrez 8
Murray 8
Doucore 7
Wilson 7

We couldn't realistically have expected anymore goals from Murray at this stage in the season. Vardy and Mahrez were in a team that won the league in 2016 FFS.

Last edited:

Oct 25, 2003
Not sure if Nicky Forster has had a mention yet - but I thought he was a very clinical striker who had a good partnership with GM at one time (Scored 51 in total)

Certainly one of my all time favourite Albion strikers. He was an absolutely lethal finisher especially in one on ones. He was definitely past his prime when he was with us but he was still a class act. There’s a YouTube compilation of all of his 51 goals for us and while he scored a variety of goals, the amount of times he perfectly found the bottom corner was ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I don't disagree that we needed a new striker but you can't argue with Glenns contribution this season. On the flip slide you could easily argue that our entire defence and central midfield contributing a grand total of zero league goals is as much to do with our low scoring total than anything the forwards have done.

At this stage you could make a very valid case for Murray being player of the season so far, and not just for the 8 goals.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Top 7:-

Tommy Cook scored 123 (114 League)
Kit Napier 99 (84)
Peter Ward 95 (81)
Bert Stephens 94 (86) - think some were in wartime
Albert Mundy 90 (87) - also before my time
Glenn Murray 90 (85)
Bobby Z 90 (83)

So on this thread (me included) felt GM had now equalled BZ goals haul.
Andy Naylor saying in today’s Argus he is still one short.
Anyone got the definitive?

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
So on this thread (me included) felt GM had now equalled BZ goals haul.
Andy Naylor saying in today’s Argus he is still one short.
Anyone got the definitive?

Tweet him. I'm sure he'll respond the instant you send it to advise how silly and wrong you are.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I thought he was exceptional on Saturday.

Held the ball up brilliantly, first touch exceptional, didn't give the ball away, won everything in the air.

And he scored

My MOM by a mile.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here