Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The club and their self importance/arrogance

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The only conclusion I have, so far, is that TB is considerably more patient than me.
By now I'd have locked the Amex and fooked off to Aussieland, scream obscenities all the way.

Tony is a smart man. As such he realises that BHA fans are no different to any others in that they are a cross section of society, and in general society there is a significant minority (often the most vocal) who spend their lives talking out of their arses.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You happily missed out the 'if what you say is true' bit,but------hey ho:)

314 random posts since Sep 2011 and this is one of your better ones----congratulations:thumbsup:

Have you been locked up or just got poor internet :moo:
I didn't miss anything - I was making the point that your offensive emoticon was aimed at the wrong people on this thread. As for my post count, this account was created to send a PM as I discontinued my old one as I'm not a fan of the way discussion forums have gone and I was getting too involved in too many pointless spats on threads. Occasionally I get bored or weaken and pop in with a flurry of posts. But generally I'm happy reading rather than getting involved. After 20 years of NSC and its various previous incarnations, I don't have the need to post 100 times a day. Facebook and Twitter have passed me by. I preferred the old days when NSC had one troll and one joke account and most threads were discussions. Now the signal to noise ratio is far too high for me. Dinosaurs like me like sitting on the sidelines - albeit poking sticks in every now and then for the hell of it.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Indeed. The club are far from perfect but the, quite frankly, gobsmacking ingratitude of an increasing number of people is very, very sad. There are quite a number that actively try and seek a tiny sniff of controversy so they can jump on their soapbox to start ranting. Offer a free breakfast to watch the fixture announcements and watch the complaints because of short notice, poor quality food etc. Let kids camp on the pitch for a night to try and cement a few long term fans and it is tinpot/embarrassing. Price things at a point where they will sell well and maximise player funds and it more indications of Barber squeezing every penny/the club ripping off long term fans. Release new kits that are a bit formulaic but will fly out for kids/youngsters/brand name fans and you are selling out/sunday league. And spend over £200 million on a football club with little likelihood of seeing any of it back and then try and run the club with sensible finances and you will be invited to leave or declared as lacking ambition.

For what it's worth, I'm not comfortable supporting a biggish club in the mad money world of modern football when I'm essentially funding a couple of days salary of a squad player with my (significant to me) contribution. And I have a nasty feeling that the club will try and squeeze people like me out of 1901 trying to chase the corporate pound when renewals are announced next year. But I gain solace from the fact that, within these boundaries, the powers that be appear to be trying to run in the best way possible. Investing in the future and not massively overspending for a short term gamble. Trying to make the training environment the best it can be and insisting on high standards of behaviour from all that attend. They have made mistakes in the past but on the whole seem to try and learn from them. Player recruitment being the most obvious example. And there is a growing disconnect at times between the club and the fans but sadly that is the nature of modern football. But on the whole, their heart is in the right place which makes the haters all the more sad.

You will notice Dick I have given you a thumbs up for your post. It seems we both jumped in,all guns blazing:eek:

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I didn't miss anything - I was making the point that your offensive emoticon was aimed at the wrong people on this thread. As for my post count, this account was created to send a PM as I discontinued my old one as I'm not a fan of the way discussion forums have gone and I was getting too involved in too many pointless spats on threads. Occasionally I get bored or weaken and pop in with a flurry of posts. But generally I'm happy reading rather than getting involved. After 20 years of NSC and its various previous incarnations, I don't have the need to post 100 times a day. Facebook and Twitter have passed me by. I preferred the old days when NSC had one troll and one joke account and most threads were discussions. Now the signal to noise ratio is far too high for me. Dinosaurs like me like sitting on the sidelines - albeit poking sticks in every now and then for the hell of it.

Even nibble knows he's a :tosser: :wink:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You
Indeed. The club are far from perfect but the, quite frankly, gobsmacking ingratitude of an increasing number of people is very, very sad. There are quite a number that actively try and seek a tiny sniff of controversy so they can jump on their soapbox to start ranting. Offer a free breakfast to watch the fixture announcements and watch the complaints because of short notice, poor quality food etc. Let kids camp on the pitch for a night to try and cement a few long term fans and it is tinpot/embarrassing. Price things at a point where they will sell well and maximise player funds and it more indications of Barber squeezing every penny/the club ripping off long term fans. Release new kits that are a bit formulaic but will fly out for kids/youngsters/brand name fans and you are selling out/sunday league. And spend over £200 million on a football club with little likelihood of seeing any of it back and then try and run the club with sensible finances and you will be invited to leave or declared as lacking ambition.

For what it's worth, I'm not comfortable supporting a biggish club in the mad money world of modern football when I'm essentially funding a couple of days salary of a squad player with my (significant to me) contribution. And I have a nasty feeling that the club will try and squeeze people like me out of 1901 trying to chase the corporate pound when renewals are announced next year. But I gain solace from the fact that, within these boundaries, the powers that be appear to be trying to run in the best way possible. Investing in the future and not massively overspending for a short term gamble. Trying to make the training environment the best it can be and insisting on high standards of behaviour from all that attend. They have made mistakes in the past but on the whole seem to try and learn from them. Player recruitment being the most obvious example. And there is a growing disconnect at times between the club and the fans but sadly that is the nature of modern football. But on the whole, their heart is in the right place which makes the haters all the more sad.

:bowdown:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
You will notice Dick I have given you a thumbs up for your post. It seems we both jumped in,all guns blazing:eek:
:smile: Thumbs up/Likes/Retweets/Reviews are one of my pet peeves with modern forums/social media. Whilst it is nice to know that other people agree with your point of view, it can cause people to chase approval/disapproval. That and the tendency to post every thought/idea that enters their heads. I was persuaded to sign up to Facebook a few years ago and added loads of people I barely knew just because they asked me. When I read a post from a girl at head office I had spoken to maybe twice declaring that she had done her ironing and was therefore a Domestic Godess, I decided that Social Media wasn't for me. I really am a grumpy old man/dinosaur. No wonder I like old computers!

Last edited:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
5 a side football league that is organised by a local business were all turned away on Thursday at the Amex training ground (community pitch) without any communication or explanation as to why. Turns
Out this was because of the announcement of the new signing. Pretty poor from the club , I do get a sense that the club are up their own arses, no one would have even recognised the guy and to just cancel this regular event for this reason was pathetic . For me it Sums up the club and the sense of self importance/brand unfortunately

It wasn't so much the inconvience (although this is a business and the owners would be out of pocket) it is more laughable the fact they had
To have lockdown on let's face it a player none of us had heard of. A little bit over the top perhaps?

So in light of the clubs response that it was the sense of self importance and rule breaking by the local "businessmen" maybe your rant was a bit over the top then ???

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
5 a side football league that is organised by a local business were all turned away on Thursday at the Amex training ground (community pitch) without any communication or explanation as to why. Turns
Out this was because of the announcement of the new signing. Pretty poor from the club , I do get a sense that the club are up their own arses, no one would have even recognised the guy and to just cancel this regular event for this reason was pathetic . For me it Sums up the club and the sense of self importance/brand unfortunately

Bet you're feeling a bit disapppointed with that post now :lolol:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
:smile: Thumbs up/Likes/Retweets/Reviews are one of my pet peeves with modern forums/social media. Whilst it is nice to know that other people agree with your point of view, it can cause people to chase approval/disapproval. That and the tendency to post every thought/idea that enters their heads. I was persuaded to sign up to Facebook a few years ago and added loads of people I barely knew just because they asked me. When I read a post from a girl at head office I had spoken too maybe twice declaring that she had done her ironing and was therefore a Domestic Godess, I decided that Social Media wasn't for me. I really am a grumpy old man/dinosaur. No wonder I like old computers!

social media is off the menu more Important things to do and be worried about.
my gripe about all this living in the past stuff is that people on here will insist tha Tony saved the club, don't get me wrong he is a very good chairman and his generosity knows no bounds, but in my eyes it was the fans that saved the club, and but for them Tony would have had nothing to spend his money on and I doubt very much if we would have been in the enviable position we are in now.
thankfully Tony is around
but lets not forget all the hardened fans who thought enough of the club to go about saving it so we have a future.
RANT OVER
back into the garden to get some air and sunshine

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
:smile: Thumbs up/Likes/Retweets/Reviews are one of my pet peeves with modern forums/social media. Whilst it is nice to know that other people agree with your point of view, it can cause people to chase approval/disapproval. That and the tendency to post every thought/idea that enters their heads. I was persuaded to sign up to Facebook a few years ago and added loads of people I barely knew just because they asked me. When I read a post from a girl at head office I had spoken too maybe twice declaring that she had done her ironing and was therefore a Domestic Godess, I decided that Social Media wasn't for me. I really am a grumpy old man/dinosaur. No wonder I like old computers!

Dick, you gotta be a lot older than me then(59 ffs!)
I have given you :thumbsup: coz I agree with what you posted. You are indeed a grumpy old man:wink:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Dick, you gotta be a lot older than me then(59 ffs!)
I have given you :thumbsup: coz I agree with what you posted. You are indeed a grumpy old man:wink:
Nope - a very old 44! :lolol: And again, it wasn't a dig - I just found it funny you pointed out the thumbs up when I don't like them. But maybe the system is vindicated as one of the benign but tiresome trolls had given me my only thumbs down so far on this thread. I will add that to my collection of thumbs down hall of fame which includes someone who cost the club tens of thousands of pounds when they could least afford it . :thumbsup:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

One of the posts of the year for me.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Nope - a very old 44! :lolol: And again, it wasn't a dig - I just found it funny you pointed out the thumbs up when I don't like them. But maybe the system is vindicated as one of the benign but tiresome trolls had given me my only thumbs down so far on this thread. I will add that to my collection of thumbs down hall of fame which includes someone who cost the club tens of thousands of pounds when they could least afford it . :thumbsup:

I give lots of :thumbsup: and can't remember giving many the other way. You may of assumed in my original post I was a jcl, but I go back to being a proper supporter to the very early seventies. My Grandad took me in the late sixties and I remember being shoved down the front of the East Stand.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As this clearly isn't a thread about:-

The club and their self importance/arrogance

shouldn't the thread title now reflect that?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

There's an awful lot about modern football that I detest and corporate hospitality along with "third kits" that come straight off an identikit production line are near the top of my shitlist. But they're not the fault of the "club" per se so, when something like yesterday's reveal comes along that I find yanking my chain I do my best just to say nothing.

Where I had an issue last season was in that something was clearly wrong behind the scenes. We were losing managers / head coaches and good players with monotonous regularity and it was clearly costing us on the pitch. As fans we HAVE to be able to comment on that and, frankly, a good exchange of opinions on this side of things is part of what football's about. However, if we weren't to do the third kits / corporate hosp / club shop promotions it's pretty obvious that things would be worse on the pitch. We have to do this stuff because Sky and Bosman and all those other c:censored:ts changed a game forever. To be fair, at the time, it was a game that was hard to love.

It's a credit to the club that they appear to be in the process of fixing things again. I am genuinely encouraged by our signings and our manager. And some of those little ideas ARE great. If it's Tom Gorringe or Paul Barber or Paul Beirne or a mix of all I don't know but the camping on the pitch was a brilliant idea, the fixtures breakfast was a good idea, getting Sevilla in and pricing it correctly was a coup.

Complaining you've been turfed out because you can't behave. on the other hand, is a bit shithouse.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Thank you for post #40 but more importantly, thank you for that excellent description of [MENTION=12634]Return of the Rev[/MENTION].

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here