Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sussex Senior Cup - we've not enough U23 players

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I am not sure that you are correct on your assumption, but wouldnt argue, The County Senior Cup takes precedent over all other competitions that a club plays in and every club has to take part in their County cup competition at whatever level unless granted an exemption. This happens in Surrey as CPFC get an exemption but play the winners of the Surrey Senior Cup away in aid of the Benevolent Fund pre season, as a condition of this exemption. That is what did happen in the 90s so assume it is still the same now. As regards qualification to play in it the ruling on having played a certain number of gamed didnt come into force until the later stages usually the semi finals, again the rules may have changed since my involvement with it.

ps Just read the Sussex County FA statement apparently the national competition take precedence over county fixtures. I am wrong but I do know that Senior Cup Competitions take precedence over league fixtures for non league clubs.

Wrong again. See the post preceding yours. Do bear in mind that a lot has changed since your day in the 90's before hitting the keyboard.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Hmmm ......... the U18s played on Monday, and the seniors play on Saturday. And with what, 50, 60? professionals on the books from U18s up to senior pros we can't put out a team on Wednesday?

I appreciate the ruling was made and agreed by the Sussex FA, but we must have requested it. Still doesn't sit comfortably: sorry!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I am not sure that you are correct on your assumption, but wouldnt argue, The County Senior Cup takes precedent over all other competitions that a club plays in and every club has to take part in their County cup competition at whatever level unless granted an exemption. This happens in Surrey as CPFC get an exemption but play the winners of the Surrey Senior Cup away in aid of the Benevolent Fund pre season, as a condition of this exemption. That is what did happen in the 90s so assume it is still the same now. As regards qualification to play in it the ruling on having played a certain number of gamed didnt come into force until the later stages usually the semi finals, again the rules may have changed since my involvement with it.

ps Just read the Sussex County FA statement apparently the national competition take precedence over county fixtures. I am wrong but I do know that Senior Cup Competitions take precedence over league fixtures for non league clubs.

Calling [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
A day's notice seems poor form. Not sure the Sussex County FA statement, or the perfunctory announcement on the Albion website, addresses that in any way.

I am mildly put out because I was going to go. Only mildly, admittedly.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
A few things on this:

1) Who do we think we are?
2) Most Sussex Senior Cup games are played by the Under 23s, they last played on the 14th and don't play again until the 30th.
3) When did thy know the under 18s were playing last night and we had the FA Cup on Saturday. Must have been at least ten days go, so why only called off today?
4) If we are going to treat this competition and the opposition we play with complete contempt might it be better to just withdraw from the competition. Should probably have fofeited the game?
5) All the above should be discounted if the answer is that the Sussex FA were as lame as always and took ten days to answer the Club's request.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A few things on this:

1) Who do we think we are?
2) Most Sussex Senior Cup games are played by the Under 23s, they last played on the 14th and don't play again until the 30th.
3) When did thy know the under 18s were playing last night and we had the FA Cup on Saturday. Must have been at least ten days go, so why only called off today?
4) If we are going to treat this competition and the opposition we play with complete contempt might it be better to just withdraw from the competition.[ Should probably have fofeited the game?
5) All the above should be discounted if the answer is that the Sussex FA were as lame as always and took ten days to answer the Club's request.

Under FA Rules we are compelled to take part unless an exemption is granted by the County FA as in SurreyFA and CPFC.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
From Twitter-
Youth Cup is for U18’s, FA Cup for firsts. Does this mean we can start pulling games if a couple of players in U12’s are planning a sleepover at the weekend ??
:D:D:D:D

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Under FA Rules we are compelled to take part unless an exemption is granted by the County FA as in SurreyFA and CPFC.

Some counties apply this rule - Wiltshire, for instance, and Surrey too, you say. However Sussex County FA does not appear to include compulsory participation as part of its rules.

"Eligible Clubs
The entry of any Club may be rejected by the Association.
This Competition shall be open to all Saturday Clubs that affiliate to the Association at Senior level
A Club may not enter two teams in this Competition."

"Shall be open to" - i.e. eligible clubs can apply to take part if they wish. Sussex ain't Surrey - thank f***!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Calling [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]

I think (hope) Bensgrandad was rather stung by his opinions on Lewis Dunk, I for one welcome this sea change and hope it continues.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yeh, what on earth are we doing?

If we have to put out under 15s and go out so be it, at least they gain experience. But we can't just renege on a fixture. I can't think of a single acceptable excuse. Tinpot and embarrassing

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Don't we normally play mostly U18s in the Sussex Senior Cup ? Always seems to have been a young line-up recently anyway. Must be because of the game they played yesterday.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Yeh, what on earth are we doing?

If we have to put out under 15s and go out so be it, at least they gain experience. But we can't just renege on a fixture. I can't think of a single acceptable excuse. Tinpot and embarrassing

As I understand it, the Sussex FA have postponed it, not us reneging. They are the ones who put out a statement.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here