Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't think we're any more thick than any other nation. However, I think we're the victims of undue influence from our media over a sustained period. I'm not saying people believe what they're told but if the media continually bombard people with opinions dressed up as facts you can't help but see that it's going to impact their opinion.

Brexiters would suggest calling it 'clean exit' or 'WTO deal', as if that would help clarify things.

And [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION], I wouldn't go as far as suggesting these people are thick per se, just ignorant. I wouldn't blame them though. If you asked a random selection of people on the street what various Brexit-related jargon means, most won't have a clue. Many people are at the stage where they don't pay attention to the political news anymore and just want the whole debacle over and done with. They no longer care. All of this is why a second referendum shouldn't happen...

...But then if there were a second referendum, I personally would change my vote. It's a complete mess, whatever happens :(

It would be the same in almost every country in the world.

People, generally, don't take the time to learn about politics. It doesn't mean they're necessarily thick, they just might have no interest in it.

"No Deal" to someone who hasn't been paying attention, could easily be confused with "No to Brexit".

The decision to have the referendum, despite the problem of the electorate having a limited understanding about what they are voting for, was not stupid if you believe in democracy.

Fair points, all.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
It would be the same in almost every country in the world.

People, generally, don't take the time to learn about politics. It doesn't mean they're necessarily thick, they just might have no interest in it.

"No Deal" to someone who hasn't been paying attention, could easily be confused with "No to Brexit".

The decision to have the referendum, despite the problem of the electorate having a limited understanding about what they are voting for, was not stupid if you believe in democracy.

Was it stupid when it was only called as a Tory game?
https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1087356351943188480?s=21

It is not a criticism of anyone from either side who voted - it is impossible for us to be fully informed so we elect people we expect to make decisions in our behalf. I wouldn’t ask my wife to pick Brighton’s team because she would not know players apart from a few names she recognised. It is like People seeing Boris and recognising him so listening and doing what he says.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
When my niece was younger and I would babysit, she would watch these terrible American high school films. They were full of girls that made comments like this. I suppose the polite term would be “catty”. If it wasn’t so un PC I’d say you were like a little bitch.

Despite all evidence to the contrary, I’m lead to believe you are a grown man. Would you perhaps consider acting like one rather than a bitchy, American high school girl?

Oh Nibble, chill a bit :lol:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The Maybot is on its feet in the House...

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I did well. As the settled status is something I will have to help my mum with, I thought it was worth mentioning as I really don't like the scaremongering that goes on. I don't post as much because the whole thread does my head in these days.

Looks like you and your Mum are going to save yourselves £65.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
You only lost by 230 Theresa, the largest loss in parliamentary history - surely it's worth giving it another go ?

Just when you thought this complete clusterf*** couldn't get any more farcical :facepalm:

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018
No deal it is then,happy days.

On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You are beyond redemption.

No one knows exactly what would happen in that scenario so I really don't understand how a sentient being can welcome the uncertainty that puts so many of his fellow citizens at risk.....

Here's a clue as to why so many people are less sanguine about such a prospect as you are.....

https://www.businessinsider.com/no-deal-brexit-could-cripple-britain-2018-9?r=US&IR=T

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No deal it is then,happy days.

On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm a remainer but above all I'm just sick of it all now. I just want it done so that we can get on with the campaign of getting us back in, or at least a campaign to regain access to the single market.

But this glib "happy days" is beyond the pale - it's just bone-headed. There is nothing "happy" about that particular day if it happens because it may mean disaster to many people - that is according to the overwhelming majority of people in the country, never mind the commons.

If we must leave, it should involve extending the period beyond March, handing over the reins to Brexiteers, and asking them to negotiate properly. I would say that "No deal" should not be off the table while negotiations are ongoing, but if that's the best that even Brexiteers can do, then we'd need a referendum to ratify it. I hate referendums, I really do, but that is such a potentially fundamental shift from the status quo, and we can be so sure that the majority of the electorate were unaware it might ever come to no-deal, that the population ought to be able to ratify it.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Perfectly “chill” thank you, Two Professors.

It does make me laugh how you think I have another account :lol: Check with the mods but there is only one of us that has had multiple accounts and LIED about it. Really Nibble, you're quite pathetic.

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018
Charitable of you to reply though so they get at least 1 notification that someone has even read their post today. :thumbsup:

Point taken..... I generally am disinclined to give up on people, no matter how ignorant they show themselves to be; I suppose I must reflect on whether it encourages them though.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here