Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dale Stephens

lizard

Well-hung member
Jul 14, 2005
Great player but today was uncharacteristically rubbish, as were many others. No scapegoating needed.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Let's be honest. When a midfield like Gomes, Gueye and Sigurdsson clicks, our midfielders are unlikely to have an easy day.

We are not in the position to spend the £70m+ and wages it would cost to buy three like them. In games against the teams with really big money Stephens, Kayal etc. are always going to be underdogs. Some days they'll beat the odds. Some days they won't. Let's not slate them as rubbish on days when they don't beat the odds.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
He has more good games than bad and like someone else said he was one of the main reasons we were promoted imo.

He was like our Zaha, in the Championship in that when he didn't play we didn't win..

I like him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Let's be honest. When a midfield like Gomes, Gueye and Sigurdsson clicks, our midfielders are unlikely to have an easy day.

We are not in the position to spend the £70m+ and wages it would cost to buy three like them. In games against the teams with really big money Stephens, Kayal etc. are always going to be underdogs. Some days they'll beat the odds. Some days they won't. Let's not slate them as rubbish on days when they don't beat the odds.

Realism.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
He’s been a fantastic signing and player for us over the years but I really don’t think he’s had a very good season so far. We’ve been outclassed and over-run in midfield in the majority of games this season. Same again today.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Privately, and amongst friends, I questioned the capability of Stephens in the PL, thankfully, on the whole, he's proved me wrong, he has raised his game and is a worthy team member.

However, the commentary team, I don't consider any more qualified than a Current Crawley player. Which is about the standard they attained. BBC R Sussex has been difficult to listen to since John Byrne gave up.

Lol amazes me what people see in him even warren said he was poor today I’ll take an ex pro opinion any day woeful today along with March bong Bruno not good enough for this league

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Privately, and amongst friends, I questioned the capability of Stephens in the PL, thankfully, on the whole, he's proved me wrong, he has raised his game and is a worthy team member.

However, the commentary team, I don't consider any more qualified than a Current Crawley player. Which is about the standard they attained. BBC R Sussex has been difficult to listen to since John Byrne gave up.

Opinions I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not today unfortunately as Kayal was poor and Stephens struggled to get to grips with the midfield which Everton dominated, with little help from those around him.

were you at the game,BG? Or have you just decided for yourself that Stephens' under par performance was Kayal's fault?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
were you at the game,BG? Or have you just decided for yourself that Stephens' under par performance was Kayal's fault?

I watched it on Bein Sports and even they commented on the number of times Kayal either lost the ball or missed a tackle and when substituted they said it was an obvious move as he had not been at the races. As good as he is DS cannot carry his midfield partner but in fairness it is BK first poor game in recent times.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He gets the credit from the one man that matters. First name on the teamsheet when he's fit. I didn't get it when I first started watching him but I see it now. He plays well, Brighton play well

I rest my case............He wasn't good today. Wonderful player but he will ave better days. And when he does, we will win

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I watched it on Bein Sports and even they commented on the number of times Kayal either lost the ball or missed a tackle and when substituted they said it was an obvious move as he had not been at the races. As good as he is DS cannot carry his midfield partner but in fairness it is BK first poor game in recent times.

Don't knock Beram. The 9 points we amassed in the last 3 games. He has played a massive part in that. He doesn't need to be carried by anyone. We all have off days. Everton were good today. Sometimes you just have to hold your hand up and say the opposition played well and they nullified us

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
Not today unfortunately as Kayal was poor and Stephens struggled to get to grips with the midfield which Everton dominated, with little help from those around him.

Fair comment, we were over run In midfield. Everton were superior but actually tactically we weren’t right. When Bissouma came in n we improved. For me March does not work with n his current role.

Fair play to Everton who have spent 100s of millions it was their day.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Sublime today. Bernardo and he, different gravy.

Thought DS had a slow start today but as the game went on he got better and better. Good to see his range of forward passes.

Big plusses also for Duffy, Bernado, Ryan and Locadia. Oh, and Propper

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I really feel sorry for Stephens. Yes, at times he is too negative and needs to study Michael Carrick's game a bit more (similar role in the sides they played in, slightly different quality around them though!) because he could offer us much more in a positive way. But defensively, his reading of the game and the ground he covers is sublime. We're a better team with him in it but I think our natural progression into a counter attacking team with pace all over the pitch will require either Stephens playing in a screening position in front of the defence or him needing to show more dynamism to suit a 4-4-1-1 formation if we stick with Gross as a number 10.

I rate Stephens highly. I think, whatever our long term plans are, Stephens will continue to be a key player in this team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here