Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well I'm taking my time – only four seconds slower than last year!

Silly question, but how on earth do they work out all the splits? For every runner in every team? As for holding hands over the finish line – I'd already done that on Saturday and I wasn't prepared to act up for the cameras AGAIN!

They gave the time total each time a team runner crossed the line. Team B was:
11-32
22-55
35-20
47-13
12-44

So you can imagine how my head is hurting now and needs to rest in front of the 20/20 England game.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Stewards enquiry me thinks. Photo evidence may indeed show me as the weakest link in the B team but I was nt that weak! Goodbye!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
They gave the time total each time a team runner crossed the line. Team B was:
11-32
22-55
35-20
47-13
12-44

So you can imagine how my head is hurting now and needs to rest in front of the 20/20 England game.

Jeez, I'm such a :dunce: I'd forgotten we were wearing bibs :ffsparr:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Stewards enquiry me thinks. Photo evidence may indeed show me as the weakest link in the B team but I was nt that weak! Goodbye!

Stuart's enquiry would say a floating 30 sec variance for team B. You can squabble amongst yourselves ad finitum.

Interested on [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] confirming leg 2 time. The Irish ringer is down for leg 1 in 12.30, which would be an amazing loan performance by the big lad.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Although I'm hearing rumours of a contaminated Dark Star water bottle being found on the course- could have been spiked of course.

I totally condone cheating and drugging up to gain any advantage in any way shape or form. I've always taken a stern view against the use of jelly babies, lucazade and in my view the prolific use of savoury nibbles in long races. I will of course cooperate with any UKA or IAAF investigation. Love the Scarlet 'Lance' Pimpernel

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
You're more Zimmer frame than senior in athletics terms, although your 5k times are edging close to a sub 20 effort. As 5 or 6 years your junior I presume to be in the team on age but we'd then have to drop 6-7 years to the young [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and young [MENTION=21215]Dazzer[/MENTION]666 both recently 50, I think. Anyone missed on age? Could be a good, sub 21 5k pace,team especially as none are good enough to be Super Egos!

Bloody 50?? 'You don't win anything with kids...............' When's your 100th parkrun?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Bloody 50?? 'You don't win anything with kids...............' When's your 100th parkrun?

They might resist the old git name and hang on to their balding, midriff youth.
I'm sticking on 98 today. A weekend in Faversham may become stressful if I add a Parkrun on the drive up. 2 weeks today Hove Park is the plan.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Sorry, wasn't wearing my Garmin on account of it feeling poorly just lately (jams on 1 mile, buttons freeze and the other week when I tried to reboot it, I had to hide it away where I couldn't hear it until the battery run down as it wouldn't stop squeaking at me!) If the other guys timed theirs then we can calculate it, if not I think I was probably about Sub 9.........
Think I had a similar problem with my Garmin (with respect to the squeaking issue when charging ing) I did quite a lot of searching on line. The contacts on the back of the watch get dirty/corroded easily by sweat meaning you don't get a good connection when charging. I cleaned mine and now clamp it on to the charging cradle using a clothes peg. Seems to have helped a lot although I still get the occasional corrupted file for some reason.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm sticking on 98 today. A weekend in Faversham may become stressful if I add a Parkrun on the drive up. 2 weeks today Hove Park is the plan.

Balding midriff is a brilliant description. Desperate to make the WL team next year.....can we call it that ? 'NSC Balding Midriffs' [emoji23][emoji23]I'm 51 now by the way (and felt every bit of it after a 6 hour flight delay from Shanghai last night, arriving in HK at 5am and then doing a hill interval session on the treadmill in a sweaty gym when I got up......bloody nightmare trying to keep to a training schedule when travelling with work)

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Hove Promenade #100 next weekend, that's going to be my target parkrun next week as I try and extend my consecutive streak to 8...

10th place at Hove Park today in 19:03 (unofficial time), sprinted hard to try and get 9th but couldn't hold off the guy ahead of me who was just too sharp. Not often I get beaten in a straight sprint to the line so fair play to him. My time would have been enough for 5th last week, so clearly there was more pace at the head of the field this week. Quick post mortem with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and Neil from the Weakest Link (sorry man, not sure your username!) and now I'm heading into work. What a saturday!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
19:04 unofficial got me 7th place at Preston Park. Pleased with that as only woke up at 8:25, a quick glass of water and out after last nights Madras.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
19:04 unofficial got me 7th place at Preston Park. Pleased with that as only woke up at 8:25, a quick glass of water and out after last nights Madras.

Keeping just a second or so ahead! There wasn't much pace at the Prom today, 18:02 winning time aside, both our times would have been enough for 2nd place today.

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Hove Promenade #100 next weekend, that's going to be my target parkrun next week as I try and extend my consecutive streak to 8...

10th place at Hove Park today in 19:03 (unofficial time), sprinted hard to try and get 9th but couldn't hold off the guy ahead of me who was just too sharp. Not often I get beaten in a straight sprint to the line so fair play to him. My time would have been enough for 5th last week, so clearly there was more pace at the head of the field this week. Quick post mortem with [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] and Neil from the Weakest Link (sorry man, not sure your username!) and now I'm heading into work. What a saturday!

Fantastic efforts both of you, there are clearly a bunch of us coming back to form!

A 19:20 at Guildford saw me finish 9th, and 1st in my age category. Guildford and Godalming AC were clearly having a day out and there were several sub-18 minute finishers, so even if I'd gotten close to my pb I'd only have improved my position by a place or two - which makes me have less regret over the fish and chip supper, lack of stretching, and late night watching Radiohead last night!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
22:39 at Hove Park - another 14 seconds back towards full fitness and felt pretty good - certainly better than Wednesdays effort.
That's on the back of Kraftwerk in London Thursday, a boozy lunch on Friday and Thurston Moore plus beers last night.

Quick catch up With [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3975]benElton'sBrother afterwards. [MENTION=24635]Greg Bobkin[/MENTION] - it seems you have been out faithfulled by @BEB as far as Hove Park is concerned!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

No PR for me either as I was working. Intend to come along to your hundredth (PR not birthday that is). Some very good running today by NSC.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Fantastic efforts both of you, there are clearly a bunch of us coming back to form!

A 19:20 at Guildford saw me finish 9th, and 1st in my age category. Guildford and Godalming AC were clearly having a day out and there were several sub-18 minute finishers, so even if I'd gotten close to my pb I'd only have improved my position by a place or two - which makes me have less regret over the fish and chip supper, lack of stretching, and late night watching Radiohead last night!

Good running, you need to get yourself down to Brighton for the weakest link next year!

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Thoroughly enjoyable 7.5 miles this morning. It's amazing how much more enjoyable running is when you stop trying to achieve a certain pace. For years I've ran too quickly for my ability. Might be good for your fitness levels but completely unsustainable over longer distances and too painful for it to be enjoyable. A steady 8 minute mile pace today and it was a breeze and the most I've enjoyed it for a long time.

Still early doors so it is taking some discipline maintaining my 'conversational' pace without turning on the after burners. But if I keep it up I feel the world is my oyster in terms of distance, with a marathon more than achievable.

Has anyone else had the same battles with pacing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Thoroughly enjoyable 7.5 miles this morning. It's amazing how much more enjoyable running is when you stop trying to achieve a certain pace. For years I've ran too quickly for my ability. Might be good for your fitness levels but completely unsustainable over longer distances and too painful for it to be enjoyable. A steady 8 minute mile pace today and it was a breeze and the most I've enjoyed it for a long time.

Still early doors so it is taking some discipline maintaining my 'conversational' pace without turning on the after burners. But if I keep it up I feel the world is my oyster in terms of distance, with a marathon more than achievable.

Has anyone else had the same battles with pacing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm terrible at pacing long runs. I just can't maintain discipline to run to plan. I've run some cracking long training runs where I've pushed myself to the limit but made the distance. But quite often fell short of the distance target which defeats the purpose of a long run.

I've found running with someone a bit slower is the key to pacing longer runs.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here