Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

GCSE revision Maths

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All times are 26 seconds and a fraction of a second.

The decimal fractions for Lizzie are 0.3, 0.2, 0.7, 0.3, and 0.5.
That gives a total of 2 seconds. 2 seconds divided by 5 is 0.4 seconds. So her average time is 26.4 seconds.

The decimal fractions for Megan are 0.5, 0.7, 0.1, 0.3, 0.9, and 0.5.
That gives a total of 3 seconds. 3 seconds divided by 6 is 0.5 seconds. So her average time is 26.5 seconds.

On average, Lizzie is faster.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
What's the most appropriate measure ?
Mean, median, standard deviation, average, fastest, slowest - each one could be relevant

Exactly. Is this a case of - say whatever one you want as long as you can back it up.

I suppose one thing that is worth asking - how many marks is this question worth in relation to the others? if it is a lot more then they may be after a number of factors being determined before coming to a conclusion

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What's the most appropriate measure ?
Mean, median, standard deviation, average, fastest, slowest - each one could be relevant
Very true, but probably not what GCSE requires :)

Megan is, after all, the faster swimmer.

warlingham seagull

Jul 28, 2004
Warlingham
Three times are the same for both - 26.7, 26.3, 26.5
Take those out and you are left with:
Lizzie 26.2 & 26.3
Megan 26.1, 26.5, 26.9
Clearly without a calculation - Lizzie's times are faster

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
In the real world there's so little between them that I'd make them have a race with winner takes all to see how they coped with the pressure. Then I'd go down the pub

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Neither as due to the Tory Educational budget cuts, the school have had to cut back on out of school activities and are no longer entering any school teams. Further they have drained the pool as it is too costly to run and have instead moved desk and chairs into the dry pool so that it can be used for the forthcoming GSCE maths exam.

NB The correct answer has been provided by many already

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
It's asking for a discursive answer that demonstrates understanding. So you can look at the actual mean, then fastest and slowest times then mention standard deviation from the mean (difficult to work out manually but possible) and then go for a proxy of std deviation by taking out fastest and slowest times and averaging the remainder
You still end up going for the first swimmer I think - unless you want to argue that the fastest time rules. Don't think the choice of swimmer matters, just the showing that you understand the ways you can analyse this data...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
And the slower swimmer.
That's like saying that out of me and Usain Bolt, he is the slower runner, as he's probably run a slower 100m than I have (which he is likely to have done when injured in training).

Who is fastest is simply about your fastest time, not whether or not you've sometimes had a slow time.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's asking for a discursive answer that demonstrates understanding. So you can look at the actual mean, then fastest and slowest times then mention standard deviation from the mean (difficult to work out manually but possible) and then go for a proxy of std deviation by taking out fastest and slowest times and averaging the remainder
You still end up going for the first swimmer I think - unless you want to argue that the fastest time rules. Don't think the choice of swimmer matters, just the showing that you understand the ways you can analyse this data...

The problem is that in this idiotic world, there will be one 'officially correct' answer and everyone who who gives a different (measured) answer will get zero. I am not sure what happens with GCSEs but at many universities, any question that is answered 'wrongly' by a disproportionate percentage of students ('disproportionate' can be defined in different ways) can be excluded from the assessment. But this rule is not applied equally be every institution. Coincidentally I have spent all day doing my external examiner visit at a London medical school :wozza:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I'd say that the selection of Lizzie because of her fastest mean average time would get some marks. It looks like further marks may be available by showing working to prove that she also has the fastest median time and the fastest mode. I guess this because they have included repeated times in both girls ranges to ensure that a mode can be shown.

Good luck to your daughter. Mine's going through the same.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
My daughter tells me that they teach range now as well as mean, median and mode. Deduct the lowest time from the highest time to get each swimmer's range. Lizzie has the lowest average using mean, median, mode and range. She's grateful for the tip about adding just the decimals. She would have struggled through adding all the 26s too.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
And regardless of the outcome of this exam, your daughter will be in a job where she can use a spreadsheet to work this stuff out rendering this Maths exam completely pointless.

I'm not sure Diane Abbot would agree.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
My daughter tells me that they teach range now as well as mean, median and mode. Deduct the lowest time from the highest time to get each swimmer's range. Lizzie has the lowest average using mean, median, mode and range. She's grateful for the tip about adding just the decimals. She would have struggled through adding all the 26s too.

even if two of the times had been say 25.6 and 27.1 you could still use the "26" factor, ie the first one would be -0.4 and the 2nd +1.1 when working out the average to add to the 26 at the end

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
That's like saying that out of me and Usain Bolt, he is the slower runner, as he's probably run a slower 100m than I have (which he is likely to have done when injured in training).

I remain unconvinced that Bolt has run a slower 100m than you.

Who is fastest is simply about your fastest time, not whether or not you've sometimes had a slow time.

Indeed. Megan has proven in her trials that she can swim faster than Lizzie. She has also proven that she is more inconsistent than Lizzie. On her day she would beat Lizzie, but when it isn't her day she would lose to Lizzie.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The real question should be, who was taking the performance enhancing drugs, in which race, and did they have an effect?

Answer - Megan in the third race, but only in that race. After a while they wore off, and her supplier had gone home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here