Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Go sub 40 and I'll race you!

I didn't realise there were replacement buses Sunday so I might cycle slowly along.

I've also got a mate who has withdrawn through injury, so if anyone wants a free entry send me a pm.

The trains seem odd on my national rail app. The first few in the morning show as buses but then from the 8.08 from Portslade they are trains again. Was going to get that one but now [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] has kindly offered to drive me and a friend.

I've never felt so underprepared for a race in my life. Will be interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
It feels odd, now that I have moved on to the bike/swim preparation, that I do not feel like I am doing much running but runs of 10 miles and 6 miles each week is telling a different story! 4 hours on the bike today. Hope it is cooler for Worthing tomorrow (not for me though, swimming and some more cycling).

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Went to Peacehaven again today , it's a really nice run. 18th place in 24:15 ish - a minute quicker than two weeks ago, legs heavy after nine hot, hilly miles yesterday so that's encouraging. Not expecting to go very quick tomorrow.

Had a chat with one of only eight holders of a Parkrun 500 shirt. You've got a way to go [MENTION=635]Gary Nelson[/MENTION]'s teacher - he's done 199 different parkruns and nominated Fountains Abbey as his favourite. Not far from my mother-in-law's so will give that a go sometime.

Bloody hell I'll be about 80 if I ever got to do this many! Well done on your Peacehaven effort. Come to Worthing and see another 2 minutes disappear from your time!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Eastbourne parkrun goes into my 'OK' category. Not much to distinguish it. Done it once but wouldn't do it again. Good luck! I'll be at Worthing, 'Home of the PB'..........unless it's windy, which it almost always is.

I enjoyed it. Main plus is it being a one lap course. Like running around a maze where you don't know where the finish is due to the hedges, bushes and trees.
You CAN count Parkruns where you didn't have a barcode on NSC I have ruled, so what's your tally.

21:33 at Eastbourne park run today. Good to see [MENTION=15605]knocky1[/MENTION] and his lovely wife paying Eastbourne a visit

Good to briefly see your heels at the start and chat afterwards. 23:26 for me nearly a minute clear of the previous 2017 PB. Only running Saturdays and not in week means I've almost plateaued till Jesus sorts this Achilles out. Enjoyed the run but couldn't run it home and got taken by 6 runners over the last 200 metres. Not something I'm used to at 5k but I'll be back!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
The trains seem odd on my national rail app. The first few in the morning show as buses but then from the 8.08 from Portslade they are trains again. Was going to get that one but now [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] has kindly offered to drive me and a friend.

I've never felt so underprepared for a race in my life. Will be interesting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May be worth [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] taking a similar play set as I had after beating my mate at the Windsor Triathlon. He had to listen to We are the Champions, I'm a Loser and a few others on the way home. If I'd have lost he'd have never have heard it. Worth having.
Enjoy the run!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Plan to run 10 miles today some of which will be on Worthing prom just before the 10k so will look out for Albion shirts. Good luck to all. Looking forward to hearing race reports and resolution of local rivalries.

As for the bar code issue thanks for the official ruling - if only all sport-related governing bodies took such a trusting and pragmatic line. I think I did about 4 with a dodgy bar code, including Milton Keynes. And, oh yes, I broke a world record so I'd like that included too please.
Well done on your Eastbourne time (I looked it up anyway!). It's funny how just 1 run a week can produce pretty decent results. You certainly won't suffer from over-training. (I suspect about 80% of parkrunners just run once a week?)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Well done on your Eastbourne time (I looked it up anyway!). It's funny how just 1 run a week can produce pretty decent results. You certainly won't suffer from over-training. (I suspect about 80% of parkrunners just run once a week?)

Hill walking constitutes training to an extent, I guess. Doing the Seven Sisters out and back the day before Parkrun probably took its toll so I'll aim at sub 23 in the short term. I have to fit in Worthing in the next 3 weeks. Are you there Saturday?
10 mile long training runs from you could push you into 80% AG. You're within touching distance.

Abuse our Worthing 10k mob for me.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Hill walking constitutes training to an extent, I guess. Doing the Seven Sisters out and back the day before Parkrun probably took its toll so I'll aim at sub 23 in the short term. I have to fit in Worthing in the next 3 weeks. Are you there Saturday?
10 mile long training runs from you could push you into 80% AG. You're within touching distance.

Abuse our Worthing 10k mob for me.

Yes planning to do the Worthing parkrun on Sat. all being well. Very busy down on Worthing prom - but didn't spot any Albion shirts. 10 miles in 83:12 but very hard and reminding me that I'm a flat-track parkrun bully!
Can give tips on Worthing parkrun nearer the day but can't give much advice on parking as I cycle there. (But the Waitrose car park might be worth a try as it's rarely policed and is only 10 minutes walk from the prom.)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes planning to do the Worthing parkrun on Sat. all being well. Very busy down on Worthing prom - but didn't spot any Albion shirts. 10 miles in 83:12 but very hard and reminding me that I'm a flat-track parkrun bully!
Can give tips on Worthing parkrun nearer the day but can't give much advice on parking as I cycle there. (But the Waitrose car park might be worth a try as it's rarely policed and is only 10 minutes walk from the prom.)

Great results servicefrom Worthing coming through immediately. http://www.worthing10k.co.uk/results/
The winner was 5 minutes in front!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Very pleased with 39:28 and 51st position.

I think it's the best I've felt running a 10k. I'm usually hanging out of my arse at 6k but today felt strong throughout and finished well.

Temperature was good, would have been ideal if the wind was a bit lighter.

I hope everyone else had a great run. I'm interested in how the 50 minute club got on and the drive home!

My splits today

Mile 1 6:14
Mile 2 6:23
Mile 3 6:23
Mile 4 6:20
Mile 5 6:15
Mile 6 6:14
0.28 @ 5:37 pace = 1:34

39:28:03 Avr pace 6:17

Last edited:

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Very pleased with 39:28 and 51st position.

I think it's the best I've felt running a 10k. I'm usually hanging out of my arse at 6k but today felt strong throughout and finished well.

Temperature was good, would have been ideal if the wind was a bit lighter.

I hope everyone else had a great run. I'm interested in how the 50 minute club got on and the drive home!

My splits today

Mile 1 6:14
Mile 2 6:23
Mile 3 6:23
Mile 4 6:20
Mile 5 6:15
Mile 6 6:14
0.28 @ 5:37 pace = 1:34

39:28:03 Avr pace 6:17

Excellent running - good consistency- you certainly looked strong when I saw you.

48:48 for me which I'm pleased with. 5 mins slower than last year but ran on tired legs. Also happy I managed to maintain my pace throughout. Annoyingly my Garmin file seems to have been corrupted.

Preferred the new course compared to last year and it was still pretty hot!

I'll let the 50 min gang tell their own story.

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011
PB for me 49:57,
sub 50 that will do for me very happy with that:albion2:
Getting a PB is always something to be pleased with.

I went off too fast (as normal!) but managed to hang on for a PB too; am well happy with that.
Though that last couple of k was tough.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Well done to all you Worthing 10K runners this morning. I was one of the photography crew on today (the git sat in the middle of the road at the 3/7K mark). See a few sets of club colours go by. Hope you all had a grand morning.

Apologies if I didn't snap you. It's really not that easy trying to capture 2,500 as they go by. Heard a couple of tuts from people, saying "he missed me" as they went past. I try, I really do but there's no time to linger on anybody but front runners and those bringing up the rear.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
51.46 for me. Was pacing consistently with 50 min pacer for first 6k, getting to halfway at 24.48 but then died on my arse. Everything went wrong, too hot, no breathing and pains in my left calf, plus little energy in my legs. Stopped to walk twice which was the first time I've ever had to do that in a 10K. Seeing the finish line got a bit more of a second wind in to me, to the extent that the commentator called my name out :lolol:

That's actually faster than when I did it two years ago but five whole minutes slower than my PB. LOTS of training needed to get in to marathon shape.

D Block blue

Feb 23, 2009
West Sussex la la la
51.46 for me. Was pacing consistently with 50 min pacer for first 6k, getting to halfway at 24.48 but then died on my arse. Everything went wrong, too hot, no breathing and pains in my left calf, plus little energy in my legs. Stopped to walk twice which was the first time I've ever had to do that in a 10K. Seeing the finish line got a bit more of a second wind in to me, to the extent that the commentator called my name out :lolol:

That's actually faster than when I did it two years ago but five whole minutes slower than my PB. LOTS of training needed to get in to marathon shape.

I think everyone goes through different phases on different days when running. The human body has a knack of reminding you today isn't going to be the best :lolol: I am currently suffering with a bout of plantar fasciitis and it comes and goes sometimes whilst I'm running but more after the run it hurts. Learnt a little how to nurse it but I was worried today when it kicked in at 7.5 k, which I had to stop a couple of times briefly to relieve the pain. In my current state I'm happy to just to be able to run still as I don't want to stop, enjoy it too much.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good running 10kers.......great stuff

Had a brilliant day on the South Downs doing the relay yesterday. Picked up at 4.30am for our 6.30 start at Beachy Head (I was naturally in the club B team (the A team are all racing whippets), so an early start to help us make the cutoff). Got to Winchester at 8pm after 13 hrs 30. Teams of six and split into 18 legs (100 miles), so only did about 17 miles in total myself but three tough legs (2,500 ft of elevation total) and not easy running three times in a day. Brilliant event if you ever get the chance to do it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I think everyone goes through different phases on different days when running. The human body has a knack of reminding you today isn't going to be the best :lolol: I am currently suffering with a bout of plantar fasciitis and it comes and goes sometimes whilst I'm running but more after the run it hurts. Learnt a little how to nurse it but I was worried today when it kicked in at 7.5 k, which I had to stop a couple of times briefly to relieve the pain. In my current state I'm happy to just to be able to run still as I don't want to stop, enjoy it too much.

I've been out with tendonitis for seven months and put on just over a stone in that time, I've only trained for a month and a half and then only twice a week yet I still ran the first half like I was fully fit. Entirely my own fault for over-estimating my abilities. I even said to [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] "I'll probably go off too fast".

if you were wearing the vintage stripes then I'm pretty sure you breezed past me at about 4 to 5 k, the last bit of the road with the u-turn.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here