Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The BEST and the WORST places to live in Sussex...?

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Hastings Old Town is lovely. It doesn't make up for the rest of the town, but I'd imagine there are plenty of places without a redeeming feature like that.

St Leonards isn't all bad either. Sure, the area round Warrior Square is a bit grotty, but there is a very pleasant bit around James Burton's (father of Tunbridge Wells' Decimus) town, which covers the area from the seafront up to Maze Hill - there is some cracking Georgian architecture there and a lovely park.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Brighton is the best place to live in Sussex

The very definition of an oxymoron 'the worst place to live in Sussex'

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Best - Ditchling
Worst - Bewbush (Crawley)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
EASTBOURNE IN THE TOP 10

for pollution:down:

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
Worst place I've lived in Fulking - boring and depressing. Love Brighton & Hove. Loathe villages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
What are the rougher towns of Sussex these days?

When I was growing up it was Polegate, Newhaven, Shinewater & Willingdon Trees in Eastbourne, Moulsecoomb & Whitehawk in Brighton, but these days Newhaven is quiet and Whitehawk and Moulsecoomb are fine, and Hailsham and Polegate is pretty quiet and nice place to live now. I heard people saying Burgess Hill and Bexhill and Crawley have got rougher but when ever I been there it looks really quiet and people are on the most part friendly.

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
Best - Hailsham. Great place to grow up. Awful school & no train station admittedly but everything else is positive for somewhere (relatively) cheap.
Worst - Lewes, Crawley or Hastings for various reasons.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What are the rougher towns of Sussex these days?

When I was growing up it was Polegate, Newhaven, Shinewater & Willingdon Trees in Eastbourne, Moulsecoomb & Whitehawk in Brighton, but these days Newhaven is quiet and Whitehawk and Moulsecoomb are fine, and Hailsham and Polegate is pretty quiet and nice place to live now. I heard people saying Burgess Hill and Bexhill and Crawley have got rougher but when ever I been there it looks really quiet and people are on the most part friendly.

Burgess Hill - I served on a Crown Court Jury recently. One trial involved a gang of young Burgess Hill thugs who do serious damage to anyone they come into contact with. I'm talking completely innocent passers by and the consequences included brain damage. Not as a one off, several totally unrelated incidents a year or two apart, going back over recent years.

Burgess Hill in the news again today:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15454461.Masked_men_carry_out_attack_with_baseball_bats_at_pub/

I used to think it was just a boring dormitory town. Perhaps it's small town syndrome - a few morons hurting others to show their manhood?

Jackthelad

Mar 31, 2010
Burgess Hill - I served on a Crown Court Jury recently. One trial involved a gang of young Burgess Hill thugs who do serious damage to anyone they come into contact with. I'm talking completely innocent passers by and the consequences included brain damage. Not as a one off, several totally unrelated incidents a year or two apart, going back over recent years.

Burgess Hill in the news again today:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/15454461.Masked_men_carry_out_attack_with_baseball_bats_at_pub/

I used to think it was just a boring dormitory town. Perhaps it's small town syndrome - a few morons hurting others to show their manhood?

utter scumbags I think it must be like you said small town syndrome as there is such little to do in Burgess Hill for younger people, it looks like it's turning into how Newhaven used to be with bored lads just looking for trouble.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here