Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton i360 construction update.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I try not to let the terror threat get to me, I largely feel very safe in my normal comings and goings. However unlikely statistically the tower is to be attacked it, to me, looks like a glaring target to some IS nutter or whatnot. In the news at the New Year it mentioned Brighton was found on a list of desired IS targets.

In the last 50 years when has Brighton not been a terrorist target of one kind or another?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
I'm sure they have parachutes hidden under the seats - or Mary Poppins umbrellas at the very least

Went on it yesterday as part of a test event, the building below and the open spaces above are still largely a building site, christ knows how its going to be ready in time. The pod itself still had a few bits needing doing to it but we went all the way up and the views are amazing although I have to admit I felt a little uneasy being in this flaming great glass and metal pod with no escape routes and suspended on a thin metal stick! I won't be going on it again freeby or otherwise.

No parachutes or umbrellas!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I just had a horrible thought about a certain old disaster movie called The Towering Inferno. They were up a skyscraper with no escape route ..

If the worst happens either by accident or design..does anybody know what they will do?

I just hope that like the film that the cat is saved/

If the worst happens it' probably last minute phone calls to loved ones before they have to break out the giant shute for a wet landing

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Really looking forward to the inaugural flight full of self-important local dignitaries having to be rescued when the thing breaks down at the top of the pole, as it surely must. Them's the rules :lol:

As someone who has been invited to the above event - I don't qualify as a dignitary, but I'm certainly local and self-important - that's definitely what I'm expecting. It's actually happening after lunch (which will be liquid in some cases, I've no doubt) and I'm very much hoping that people realise that there are no toilets in the pod. So that even a temporary breakdown could rapidly become uncomfortable.

D

Deleted User X18H

I am also hoping no-one will piss in my pocket. And that I don't get lumbered near Fanshawe.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I am also hoping no-one will piss in my pocket. And that I don't get lumbered near Fanshawe.

I see they've given you a nice new uniform
ae34fe3bd32640522b2bb7f82909864d.jpg

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Can someone please take some pictures to save the rest of us the cost and the vertiginous effects of having to go up the damn thing ourselves?

As someone who has been invited to the above event - I don't qualify as a dignitary, but I'm certainly local and self-important - that's definitely what I'm expecting. It's actually happening after lunch (which will be liquid in some cases, I've no doubt) and I'm very much hoping that people realise that there are no toilets in the pod. So that even a temporary breakdown could rapidly become uncomfortable.

Could the same not be said about the London Eye?

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Can someone please take some pictures to save the rest of us the cost and the vertiginous effects of having to go up the damn thing ourselves?

There were "exclusive" pictures from the top of the damned thing on the tin-pot southeast news on the BBC tonight. And very boring it looks too. The fact is there's nothing whatsoever worth looking at. Brighton and Hove do not have interesting skylines. The Channel is just more sea.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here