Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Northants v Sussex County Championship 23-09-14 10.30 start

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Looks very similar to Street and Westmeston's ground (at the foot of the Downs), although I see you are in Hampshire, which doubtless has some equally attractive venues. I could easily spend an afternoon watching in a deck chair in one of those pictures.

I only played friendly village cricket on the Sussex circuit. My best bowling was 9/16 in 1992. Punctured by one of their best batsman having a huff and going home at tea. That said, when I had reached eight wickets, a young lad bowling at the other end had a caught behind turned down when the batsman was clearly out. I was rather annoyed with the umpire as I would rather have swept the lot without anyone else helping.

I've made many friends over the years, Cricket at that level is a wonderfully social game. Looks like you have played at a higher level. I did play some league stuff, with varied success (for the now defunct Peacehaven) but prefered friendlies.

I did pass fifty twice with the bat, but such were my inadequacies, at one stage it was looking likely that I would finish my playing days with more wickets than runs....

Streats ground is lovely. I play a bit for them on Sundays as non-batting, non-bowling all-rounder.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Looks very similar to Street and Westmeston's ground (at the foot of the Downs), although I see you are in Hampshire, which doubtless has some equally attractive venues. I could easily spend an afternoon watching in a deck chair in one of those pictures.

I only played friendly village cricket on the Sussex circuit. My best bowling was 9/16 in 1992. Punctured by one of their best batsman having a huff and going home at tea. That said, when I had reached eight wickets, a young lad bowling at the other end had a caught behind turned down when the batsman was clearly out. I was rather annoyed with the umpire as I would rather have swept the lot without anyone else helping.

I've made many friends over the years, Cricket at that level is a wonderfully social game. Looks like you have played at a higher level. I did play some league stuff, with varied success (for the now defunct Peacehaven) but prefered friendlies.

I did pass fifty twice with the bat, but such were my inadequacies, at one stage it was looking likely that I would finish my playing days with more wickets than runs....

You can mention the Wiltshire batsman you got out if you want. I still count the three runs I got against Trowbridge as my best three ever - and two were off the edge.....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
You can mention the Wiltshire batsman you got out if you want. I still count the three runs I got against Trowbridge as my best three ever - and two were off the edge.....

The Trowbridge story seems to grow taller with other people's telling. Probably because of the attitude of one or two members of the opposition that day. That latest I heard was that I clean bowled four minor counties batsman, when in fact it was one (behind his legs) and one caught behind down the legside. That said, it gives me great joy thinking about, as they intended to use us to see how far they could aim the plethora of sixes.

I had to perform well that day, firstly to stop everyone goading me about a certain incident with an Italian wine the previous night (to this day-that has many and varied accounts, I'm sure) and secondly because I arranged the fixture on the assurance they would have a 'mixed' team. I didn't know 'mixed' meant Wiltshire players and County Leaguers...

Anyway, should you outlive me, you know what will be on the wine list at the wake.

A funny incident, talking of attitude, I don't think I told you about, was a match at a Worthing club a few years previous. I bowled out a young chap, clearly with first team intentions, who stood at the crease and said to me 'That was a rubbish ball'. I was so astonished I just didn't know what to say until our Martin, behind the stumps, responded with 'That was a rubbish shot then, mate'. As we say in football speak, 'Back of the net !' :laugh:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It is actually Sussex - it's Parham Park, near Storrington. It's an hour's drive from where I now live, but I don't mind - I've played there since I was 12, and spent Sundays there all my life. I don't get to play that much nowadays - 5 matches this year. The 3 generations playing together is magic.

I can identify with your batting - 2 fifties in 30 years for me, and NONE for Parham! It's clearly not an inherited thing though - my Dad has 61 tons to his name. He never chose to play serious cricket, but was a very fine cricketer. A few people on here would know an Albion fan called Jon Knight - Jon and my Dad once put on 300 for the first wicket in a (40 over) Brighton League match!

10 wickets is the holy grail. I've never done it, and never played in a match when anybody has. When I took 9, the one I didn't get was the 5th to fall, so it was never on. First game this year I actually took the first 6 to fall, and then had the next 2 dropped, before I got massive cramp! 15 overs in the first game at this age was a terrible idea, but I didn't want to come off, when the chance was there! I suffered for over a week afterwards, and my wife told me I was 'very silly'...

I once took the 10th wicket when another lad had all 9, but it was a league match with a 15 over bowler limit, and I was bowling wide of the stumps for the last 3 overs, until his quota was spent. He actually had his final over at a really young kid (12 maybe) and beat him literally every ball, but did everything but hit the stumps. Gutted!

Village cricket is in a bit of a lull right now. We regularly struggled for 11 this season, and a few opposition side arrived short, or even had to cancel through not being able to field a team. It's a worry.

I haven’t played at Parham Park, although we did meet them in a home game many, many years ago.

Ironically there was a nine wicket haul by one of our chaps that day, myself being the single wicket spoiler.

The original village Bradman, Brian Huffer, was playing for Parham Park. As doubtless you know, the man was something quite special. He had averaged over 100 the previous year. We won the match, having restricted him to just 30. He got himself out (as no-one ever seemed to be able to remove him without an assisted error), otherwise we would have stood little chance.

Brian was like a throw back to a bygone age. His batting had none of the modern day perfection of technique, he just had a hawkeye that meant his front foot and his neatly angled bat moved in perfect tandem. I remember bowling him a slightly over-pitched wicket to wicket delivery and watching him gently despatch it to the mid-on boundary without a care in the world.

Brian was probably the most respected village cricketer in Sussex at that time, and for good reason.

As regards your concerns about village cricket, they are mirrored here. It all seems to be about league nowadays, which is a shame, as it’s one of those games people often play past retirement. The oldest player I came up against was in my first adult match, an 80 odd year old keeper called Bill Bleach. He stumped me first ball (no lie) and let very little through. I’ll never forget that evening.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Lancashire 115-3 v Middlesex. There could be trouble ahead...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So Sussex reached the highest 1st innings total of any county in either division in this round of matches - you can't ask for more than that.

Really hoping The Goff can finish top wicket taker.

Northants 53/2

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Northants 84/3 run out. Sh1t against sh1t out there!

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Magoffin 3-35
Mortals 0-100

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I haven’t played at Parham Park, although we did meet them in a home game many, many years ago.

Ironically there was a nine wicket haul by one of our chaps that day, myself being the single wicket spoiler.

The original village Bradman, Brian Huffer, was playing for Parham Park. As doubtless you know, the man was something quite special. He had averaged over 100 the previous year. We won the match, having restricted him to just 30. He got himself out (as no-one ever seemed to be able to remove him without an assisted error), otherwise we would have stood little chance.

Brian was like a throw back to a bygone age. His batting had none of the modern day perfection of technique, he just had a hawkeye that meant his front foot and his neatly angled bat moved in perfect tandem. I remember bowling him a slightly over-pitched wicket to wicket delivery and watching him gently despatch it to the mid-on boundary without a care in the world.

Brian was probably the most respected village cricketer in Sussex at that time, and for good reason.

I know him quite well.

You know I mentioned that my Dad had 61 tons to his name....

Sep 14, 2006
Philadelphia
So as it stands,

ZUMoset are looking like a winner vs. Yorks - Maximum points and a Sussex loss might see them into 3rd
Warwicks looking like a winner vs. Durham - A win or bonus point heavy draw locks up 2nd place for them
Sussex looking potential winner (if they can finish em off early in the AM) vs. Norts - but looking at Warwickshire, 3rd might be as good as it gets.

Am I seeing this wrong?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

As regards your concerns about village cricket, they are mirrored here. It all seems to be about league nowadays, which is a shame, as it’s one of those games people often play past retirement. The oldest player I came up against was in my first adult match, an 80 odd year old keeper called Bill Bleach. He stumped me first ball (no lie) and let very little through. I’ll never forget that evening.

Small coincidence, but in my one full season playing for Streat when I first moved to Sussex, the only Sunday friendly I played was at Parham Park. Must've been about 1992.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here