[Albion] Where does the buck stop?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Would love his job.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you sure, I forgot to add:-

'dealing with the spanners from here who constantly write to him complaining about the club, team, stadium, transportation, shoe laces, pies, beer, etc'.

Keith the Kipper

Feb 27, 2010
Worthing
. Fans of Blackpool, and Derby, and Reading, and Hull, and Barnsley, and Bradford, and Cardiff, and Portsmouth, and Swindon, and Oldham, and Sheffield United, and Wigan, and Ipswich, and QPR, and Charlton, and Birmingham and so on and and so on, they'd all love to be where we are, they had a moment or two, some for several seasons, and now its faded, many are a long way away from the premier l

The voice of reason and sanity on North Stand Chat - so rare but always worth waiting for.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I'm posting a cut-out-and-keep image for the bedwetters, to save them having to construct 93 ways of saying the same thing....

Doomed.jpg

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yep, you really should enjoy this season as it is one of the very best in our entire history, to be competing in this league is amazing, it won't last for ever. We will get relegated, whether this season or the next or the one after that, maybe in five or six years, but it will happen. So don't blink and miss this one. Fans of Blackpool, and Derby, and Reading, and Hull, and Barnsley, and Bradford, and Cardiff, and Portsmouth, and Swindon, and Oldham, and Sheffield United, and Wigan, and Ipswich, and QPR, and Charlton, and Birmingham and so on and and so on, they'd all love to be where we are, they had a moment or two, some for several seasons, and now its faded, many are a long way away from the premier league now. They'd love to be where we are. Don't lose sight of that.

Don't you lose sight that either because if we go straight back down there is a long hard slog to get back-as you have clearly illustrated! Far better to try and stay where we are. Besides, getting relegated was not part of Tony Bloom's plans.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Don't you lose sight that either because if we go straight back down there is a long hard slog to get back-as you have clearly illustrated! Far better to try and stay where we are. Besides, getting relegated was not part of Tony Bloom's plans.

Absolutely. Which is why I still think we're on the journey, we haven't arrived yet. Its why I have so much faith because I know it isn't about suddenly becoming short-termist and sacking managers or blowing budgets, its about a long-term vision.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
This is a problem many have identified. And its simply down to the maths.

If we leave two players around the halfway line when we are defending set pieces, the opposition has to leave probably three players back to cover. That means they have six in the box. If we cram eleven players in the box, they can then have all of their outfield players in attacking positions.

6 v 9 or 10 v 11?

If we win the first header, the ball invariably falls to an opposing player and they are still on the attack and keeping us under pressure. We never seem to have the "out ball".

And in any event, the number of goals we are conceding from set pieces shows that the tactic of having all 11 players in the box is not working. And I find the ..is it arrogance...of refusing to change something that is clearly not working somewhat disturbing.

Pretty much what I said. Perhaps we need a separate thread for this.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
So who would you recommend signing? How much should we pay and what would an acceptable wage be? Are you suggesting that we are deliberately not signing a striker? Thats hard to believe.

Perhaps we should ask B'muff. They seem to pick up decent goal scorers/other players at will at not fantastic cost.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The answer is Tony.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
During most of the day 100 or so posts are made on NSC every hour. i see some of them, I miss loads of them.

I'm not sure why you think I'd be checking out this user's post history more so than any one of the many other thousands of users particularly as, when i say, I'd not even noticed this user before.

He may have caught your eye, but it hadn't caught mine nor, to the best of my knowledge, the eye of any moderator.

I gave a new user a bit of a hard time last week because, like you, other people were screaming "Palace troll!" Turns out they weren't, they'e an Albion fan but they won't be coming back due to the reception they received. That's rubbish.

How do I win in these situations when the usual due diligence checks I do (IP addresses, email searches including on facebook and twitter) yields nothing? If I ban the user, which you seem to be advocating, then they can just come back tomorrow or next week and as long as they are careful with email and IP addresses there will be no way of knowing.

On another thread right now, most people are telling me NSC does not need an away end, and that collectively we should just have a thicker skin to opposing fans. If this is simply a negative Albion fan or a Palace troll, why doesn't good reasoning win, like it should do. Debate intelligently or just ignore.

This stuff exasperates me. It's not possible to please all of the people all of the time, but the moaning I get is really wearing.

:shootself

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Absolutely. Which is why I still think we're on the journey, we haven't arrived yet. Its why I have so much faith because I know it isn't about suddenly becoming short-termist and sacking managers or blowing budgets, its about a long-term vision.

Blowing budgets, or investing heavily on fees and wages to stay part of the vital gravy train?

The latter course has served little old Watford, Burnley, Bmuff and Palace well.

Paul Barber stated that staying up is everything.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It annoys me as well. Look at it logically. If we were to put 1 player on the half way line when defending corners, the opposition would feel obliged to put 2 defenders back there to cover him, especially is it's some fast like Knockaert. This immediately gives us a numerical advantage in the box.

Take it stage further, why not put 2 or 3 up there? Yes, it limits our players in OUR box, but we'd only put the players on the halfway line that are less useful defending corners. So, let's say for arguments sake we decide to put 2 up front. I'd chose Knockaert and probably March/Izquierdo, both shorter than average but if we clear the ball will be able to out pace most defenders. This will then force a minimum of 3 defenders back there. This clears space in the box, and leaves only the players best suited to defending corners back there.

Win / Win.

It seems higher risk, but it removes the crowding that stops Dunk / Duffy / Ryan getting a run at the ball, plus it immediately gives us a numerical advantage, plus the opposition have to work out which players to drop back to cover.

I've said this for many seasons.

Shirley leaving someone with pace in the centre circle, who's not the tallest so they aren't needed to defend aerially, such as AK, SB or Izquierdo, ties up a couple opposing players and gives us more opportunities to counter attack.

Not all PL teams defend set pieces with all 11 back.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Is Leo still?l available lekkm

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Are you sure, I forgot to add:-

'dealing with the spanners from here who constantly write to him complaining about the club, team, stadium, transportation, shoe laces, pies, beer, etc'.
He is the only CEO in the premier league, if not all four leagues, that does that, i.e. reply to all emails personally. The new CEO could stop that...

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
We don't really know if it has anything to do with Barber. TB is an involved owner who sets budgets, wage structures and the like.

CH will have a set of targets, the recruitment team will have a whole list of other possibilities, but ultimately if a player is a) too expensive for our budget, or b) demands wages in excess of our structure, then that is down to how TB is choosing to run the club. If that is the case, then he still has my full support, but it really is ridiculous to blame Barber when he's not ultimately calling the shots.

A CEO is the person ultimately responsible for the day to day running of a business not a Chairman.

All departments at BHA report in to PB, whether that’s media, accounting or player recruitment.

We know Bloom likes to be involved but I don’t think Barber would have lasted as long as he has if he was just a mouthpiece.

In the scheme of the thread though, there are a number of parties who have a hand in where we are in the table and our decision who to sign.

However one thing I would say is that if any striker has watched us play recently and sees the complete lack of service to the front players, they would undoubtedly be put off and therefore we shouldn’t be surprised we aren’t getting anywhere and ultimately that’s the managers fault for the tactics the team is adopting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
That is what Barber is paid half a million pounds a year to do.....

I have no idea of the conversations about budget/signings etc at board level. Like many others on here, I am a passionate fan of the club who do not want to see us relegated - and their inability to do what is obvious to all is deeply frustrating to me.

Rather than threatening me with prison for letting someone else use my season ticket and write 200 page diatribes in response to fan complaints, I humbly suggest Barber achieves the most important thing - which is signing someone who can score some goals.and keep us in the Premier League.

he can pull his weight for sure but I can see its in nooens interest for us to be relagated. In terms of your threat of prison, thats excessive and also the same old diatribe in response to fans letters, I can remember his excuse for the security at the Palace match suggesting that the fireworks were too small to be located, :ffsparr:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here