Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Can you see Hughton falling on his sword if we fail to get new players in this window?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I firmly believe had the club bought a (the) striker, in the Summer most if not all problems that have been encountered this season, would not have materialised.

I'm not talking about some mythical Messiesque beast here either, just a player with a bit of pace, mobility and intelligence.

Even if they had only generated a half a dozen extra goals, those goals I believe would have gone someway to making the wingers more effective, taken some workload off Gross and given Propper a little more freedom to follow attacks to their penalty area.

As said earlier though, let's not forget CH is firmly at the centre of the recruitment team, it's not a separate entity that can be blamed for all things wrong.

Could it be that CH puts his important opinion in at the 4-man-committee stage, as to yes or no, then it's left to Winstanley and the Board to bring transfers over the line?

I don't see CH as having an all enveloping Wenger/Fergie role, where he's actively involved beyond that.

I could be wrong.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Could it be that CH puts his important opinion in at the 4-man-committee stage, as to yes or no, then it's left to Winstanley and the Board to bring transfers over the line?

I don't see CH as having an all enveloping Wenger/Fergie role, where he's actively involved beyond that.

I could be wrong.

I don't for one minute imagine CH is involved in what it takes to bring a player to the club, after all we're not talking about sending a fax to the Sussex & Surrey FA here.
But by the same token I find it inconceivable that CH isn't at the very centre of all transfer dealings, with the ability to give thumbs up AND thumbs down, from the beginning to the end.

I'm seeing Burker style 'blame the recruitment team' posts, instead of everybody involved in recruitment, or in this case, lack of.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't for one minute imagine CH is involved in what it takes to bring a player to the club, after all we're not talking about sending a fax to the Sussex & Surrey FA here.
But by the same token I find it inconceivable that CH isn't at the very centre of all transfer dealings, with the ability to give thumbs up AND thumbs down, from the beginning to the end.

I'm seeing Burker style 'blame the recruitment team' posts, instead of everybody involved in recruitment, or in this case, lack of.

Agree that he gives he yes or no, right to the final decision.

But I would imagine that Barber, Bloom as major financial issues arise and the senior person handling contracts take from there.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Then again, maybe things aren’t THAT bad, we nearly beat Bournemouth, we did beat Palace and we have only had the one recent abysmal performance. Maybe there isn’t really a crisis and all will come good again with a victory/point on Saturday

Two recent abysmal performances. Huddersfield was a lot worse than West Brom.
Bloom and Hughton are in it for the long term though so can’t see any resignations and nor should there be. As fans we will just have to go with it as these two games are just noise. Best advice is make sure your pre match at aways is well chosen as that will be the best bit !

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Let's not forget, although I know almost everybody hasn't, THE signing ought to have been on hold since 01.09.17.
Too right.

The paperwork needed to go through on Jan 1st.

We are virtually 50% of the way through the window and all we have is Murphy ( out ), Brown ( injured and out ), Sidwell ( injured and out ).

After a dire day at West Brom it's not looking good.

16 days to go.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Agree that he gives he yes or no, right to the final decision.

But I would imagine that Barber, Bloom as major financial issues arise and the senior person handling contracts take from there.

Unless you believe CH is only paid lip service too or is actually ignored when 'the grown ups start talking' then just because he's a top bloke and the clubs very best manager doesn't mean he should get a get out of jail free card over the recruitment.

This isn't a Sami type situation here, CH has responsibilities regarding who gets signed or doesn't, therefore he is part of the 'problem' if the recruitment doesn't produce a competitive squad.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I was annoyed at the team selection away at Spurs. We have improved our passing and ball retention since then.

WBA defeat was just disappointing, but it it just makes like more difficult. It will not be the reason we go down.

It will be

1) can't defend corners, free kicks and simple crosses
2) can't shoot for toffee or head on target (all players)
3) too many home points dropped
4) hopeless at scoring from corners

With CH it is either assured confidence or apparent complacency. Take your chocie.

A striker would help but not enough on its own.

Nos 1 and 4 of your list are both managerial/coaching issues so there has to be a competency issue too

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Nowhere is anybody wanting Europe this season, or for the next however many seasons, probably never unless via a flukey cup win. Why start resorting to name calling? New Bedwetting fans ffs? I see long term Albion fans questioning tactics on the field and an apparent lack of urgency in recruiting off the field. That is not Bedwetting is it? Too many wearing blue and white tinted glasses who can't see that we are looking likely to blow a golden opportunity by sleepwalking back into The Championship. The Championship that gets harder and harder to get out of; at the top end anyway. We need to stay up! None of us know what's going on behind the scenes but many are concerned about a re-run of the September window.
The three promoted sides are separated by one point think that tells its own story of how difficult this league is without the pressure of supporters getting on the players, club, and managers back. I just don't understand what Albion fans expected this season apart from a battle to survive in the best league in the world.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Unless you believe CH is only paid lip service too or is actually ignored when 'the grown ups start talking' then just because he's a top bloke and the clubs very best manager doesn't mean he should get a get out of jail free card over the recruitment.

This isn't a Sami type situation here, CH has responsibilities regarding who gets signed or doesn't, therefore he is part of the 'problem' if the recruitment doesn't produce a competitive squad.

Absolutely of course, THIS!!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Nos 1 and 4 of your list are both managerial/coaching issues so there has to be a competency issue too

Looking at the two goals on saturday, how can you blame the coaching for Dunk leaving his man and just standing like a statue in the area? For the second, Bong is woefully out of position and then his man gets a run on him, but even then it's headed straight down and should have been saved.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
The three promoted sides are separated by one point think that tells its own story of how difficult this league is without the pressure of supporters getting on the players, club, and managers back. I just don't understand what Albion fans expected this season apart from a battle to survive in the best league in the world.

I think your misreading the situation. EVERYONE expected this season to be a battle.......END of!!

Its just the manner in which our gradual decline has come about. No plan B, Unwilling to try different tactics with the players when things are not happening for you, etc.... Nobody thought it would be easy, NOBODY!

hope I cleared that up a little....lol

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
No, i dont think he will fall on his sword, nor do i think he should. I dont think he will be sacked or that he should be sacked.

As for the other thread that Icy was referring to, yes i am critical of Hughtons tactics, but i dont want him gone. I will question his tactics, if i think they are wrong, that doesnt mean ive had enough of Hughton, equally i will praise him when he gets it right.

He's earned my respect, i didn't want him here in the first place but he has won me over and deserves this season whatever happens in my opinion, but i still reserve the right to criticise, because im a football fan, we're like that, well, a lot of us are, whomever we support.

If at the end of the season, if we lose our place in the Premier league, Brighton will still be my team, I hope Hughton will still be in charge BUT if he gets us back up i hope he might think how he could have done things differently tactically, because if we do the same again them i will think enough is enough.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The best thing CH can do for his CV is keep us up, If we go down, Is there a bigger club that would want him?

I don't think he's going anywhere, but he does need to change a few things soon, to keep us up.

Problem is he is hamstrung by the current squad and any changes are dependent on the recruitment team bringing the required players in. Something they have failed to do for 9 months. By failure I mean lack of striker signings

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
He's the man even if we go down and I believe we're too defensive because we don't have quality attacking options and we really need a couple of top quality attacking players and every week that goes by is more points dropped.

Don't wait for the left overs at the end of the month for christs sake.....

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
No. Fortunately he's above all this rubbish. Thread number 10 at least since Saturday On same subject!

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Looking at the two goals on saturday, how can you blame the coaching for Dunk leaving his man and just standing like a statue in the area? For the second, Bong is woefully out of position and then his man gets a run on him, but even then it's headed straight down and should have been saved.

Well you’ve just answered your own question!

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
If he keeps us up with the current squad, he will have added value to his cv, his salary and his worth as a PL manager. To do that he has to win some more games and its not coming from what we've all seen in the last two months. To win games we need to be more offensive, may be his calculation is that we can draw our way to survival, 23 games, 23 points could be 38 games equals 38 points and maybe survival, thats 15 points from the next 15 games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here