Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

82 yr old Wee Willie Harris sums up Kanye West

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Listen to his entire back catalogue? I will pass if you don't mind, that sort of ' music' isn't for everyone.
I'm probably the same age as your dad though and I don't call my mates " bruv or bluuud' or wear a baseball cap with the peak at the back and have the arse of my jeans around my knees :)

I don't think I've ever used the word blood as a term of endearment in a non ironic way and I don't even own a baseball cap, but hey generalisations are cool.

I didn't say it was for everyone, the point I was making is anybody who has listened to his music would know that whilst being an egotistical prick that he's extremely talented. However a lot of people see him being a bellend and then just go "Oh, he's shit." I have a pretty ecliptic Music taste, I listen to anything, from The Rolling Stones through to JME so it's not that I'm just wrapped in one Genre, I just appreciate good music. I didn't think his performance last night was very good if I'm honest, he's certainly put on much better shows. My personal favourite being Late Orcestration at Abbey Road. Him, a DJ and a 17 piece all-female string orchestra.

No you are wrong, [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION] has told us that Kanye is one of the most TALENTED MUSICIANS :laugh: of a generation.

:wozza:

He has 21 Grammy Awards (10th most ever.) from his 53 nominations (6th most ever.) which have covered Rapping, Live Shows, Production, Song Writing and Duets. He has 3 albums in the Rolling Stone ""500 Greatest Albums of All Time" list. Pitchfork currently have a Kanye West album as their "Album of the Decade so far". He's joint with Bob Dylan for most Pazz & Jop AOTY wins and was voted in the top 5 producers of the last decade by Billboard. And he's worked with some of the biggest names in music including Paul McCartney & Elton John.

But no, you're right. HE'S SHIT. It must be true, somebody who has never listened to a Kanye West album said so. :thumbsup:

I know I'm unreasonably annoyed by this, but as a Hip-Hop fan it boils my piss when people generalise an entire genre based on the poppy/chart side of it. It's like me going "Rock is shit, just listen to Maroon 5. They're rubbish"

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
He IS talented. But he has also done some absolute SHIT. Like Bound 2 - that "song" is irredeemably shit - lazy sampling and boring rap melodies.

The problem is a lot of his fans seem to have a severe case of The Emperor's New Clothes. Kanye could record 15 minutes of him farting and all the Nathan Barleys would declare it genius.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just enjoying the 'Best living rock star in the world' ( or whatever it was that the fat git claimed to be) having his claim shot to pieces by a couple of 70 somethings. Playing live too - not with backing tapes that reduce the performer to the status of a Karaoki singer (and I use the term 'singer' with a touch of irony). Shouting a lot and knowledge of the verb 'to ****' does not amount to much....................

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I don't think I've ever used the word blood as a term of endearment in a non ironic way and I don't even own a baseball cap, but hey generalisations are cool.

I didn't say it was for everyone, the point I was making is anybody who has listened to his music would know that whilst being an egotistical prick that he's extremely talented. However a lot of people see him being a bellend and then just go "Oh, he's shit." I have a pretty ecliptic Music taste, I listen to anything, from The Rolling Stones through to JME so it's not that I'm just wrapped in one Genre, I just appreciate good music. I didn't think his performance last night was very good if I'm honest, he's certainly put on much better shows. My personal favourite being Late Orcestration at Abbey Road. Him, a DJ and a 17 piece all-female string orchestra.

He has 21 Grammy Awards (10th most ever.) from his 53 nominations (6th most ever.) which have covered Rapping, Live Shows, Production, Song Writing and Duets. He has 3 albums in the Rolling Stone ""500 Greatest Albums of All Time" list. Pitchfork currently have a Kanye West album as their "Album of the Decade so far". He's joint with Bob Dylan for most Pazz & Jop AOTY wins and was voted in the top 5 producers of the last decade by Billboard. And he's worked with some of the biggest names in music including Paul McCartney & Elton John.

But no, you're right. HE'S SHIT. It must be true, somebody who has never listened to a Kanye West album said so. [emoji106]

I know I'm unreasonably annoyed by this, but as a Hip-Hop fan it boils my piss when people generalise an entire genre based on the poppy/chart side of it. It's like me going "Rock is shit, just listen to Maroon 5. They're rubbish"
Great post

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

But no, you're right. HE'S SHIT. It must be true, somebody who has never listened to a Kanye West album said so. :thumbsup:

Ecliptic musical taste? You have my sympathy. Guess you'll just have to learn to live with it. Hope the sun comes out for you soon!

PS re: "It boils my piss when people generalise an entire genre based on the poppy/chart side of it" - can't stand most of the 'poppy/chart' stuff either.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
He IS talented. But he has also done some absolute SHIT. Like Bound 2 - that "song" is irredeemably shit - lazy sampling and boring rap melodies.

The problem is a lot of his fans seem to have a severe case of The Emperor's New Clothes. Kanye could record 15 minutes of him farting and all the Nathan Barleys would declare it genius.

I'm happy enough to admit that he has some dud songs. There's a whole album of his that I dislike. However I can't think of many musicians who have been around for 10+ years, pushed for innovation throughout their career and NOT had a couple of shit songs. However for every Love Lockdown there's 3/4 Jesus Walks or Runaway.

Great post

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Just don't get why people go overboard on Kanye, he seems little more than a karaoke singer. How can you headline a musical festival if you're singing to backing tracks rather than with a live band, or was the band hiding somewhere off stage.

Keep music live!

i would tend to agree with you

however there are exceptions to the rule.
Carter the Unstoppable Sex Machine were unashamed users of backing tracks,drum machines and all sorts of karaoke tomfoolery but blow me their gigs were cracking fun.

Kanye West is NOT an exception to the rule,its shocking rubbish........totally shocking.
A strongly worded letter is on its way to Points Of View

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

M People won the Mercury Music prize, thAt does not prove that they weren't shit.

Fa rk me, I was awarded a 'courtesy' badge at school the same week I kicked someone as hard as I could in the nuts. Prizes/ gongs mean shit all.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Sting and U2 have shit loads of Grammy nominations, and they are shit

As have Barbara Streisand and Vince Gill. Who are less shit, but still quite shit.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
There are some generations you just have to feel sorry for.

Does your generation have a monopoly on great music? There have been some great, ground breaking albums so far this century, it's a shame the majority of your generation tend to look backwards and dismiss anything from today.

Kanye West
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Fifth album of hip hop from one of the biggest egos in contemporary rap
UK Release date
29/11/2010

10.0 | Beats Per Minute
Nobody else possesses the combination of hubris, imagination, neuroticism, and drive it takes to make a record like this
Read Review
10.0 | Consequence Of Sound
There is no question that this album is a game changer. It’s Kanye West’s greatest work and not only does it prove that his name deserves to be in any greatest-of-all-time discussions, but it changes the way we have these conversations
Read Review
10.0 | Rolling Stone
His most maniacally inspired music yet, coasting on heroic levels of dementia, pimping on top of Mount Olympus
Read Review
10.0 | The Independent
One of pop's gaudiest, most grandiose efforts of recent years, a no-holds-barred musical extravaganza
Read Review
10.0 | The Digital Fix
Sets the bar so high that the album becomes something that will be talked about for years to come. Never before have we heard something like this; it's an album that demands to be listened to and one that rightly sees West enter the all-time hall of fame with no argument
Read Review
10.0 | Pitchfork
Kanye's man-myth dichotomy is at once modern and truly classic
Read Review
10.0 | Pop Matters
It is the heart, soul, and humanity of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy that ultimately marks it as the defining pop moment of 2010
Read Review
10.0 | The Line Of Best Fit
Kanye’s long-awaited opus, a work of art that sees him finally reach the potential that was clear for all to see in College Dropout
Read Review
10.0 | Slant Magazine
The effort to canonize My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy as one of hip-hop's all-time high points is already underway, and I'm confident that Kanye's new album can weather the backlash that all potential classics must confront
Read Review
10.0 | State
There is simply not a single record out there this year to match this for scope, audacity, vision and quality
Read Review
10.0 | Culture Deluxe
It may be too early to proclaim, but this is comparable to a Purple Rain or a Thriller
Read Review
10.0 | The Quietus
Not only his defining work but a work which redefines the genre in which it stands, as well as the benchmark for the concept of the album in general... It is a work of quite unique brilliance
Read Review
10.0 | The Irish Times
A magnificent, headspinning, audacious work
Read Review
10.0 | Mojo
A genuinely great record. Print edition only
9.5 | Prefix
With My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Kanye West has lurched to the vanguard of modern mainstream music. Let’s toast the asshole
Read Review
9.1 | A.V. Club
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy finds its creator in complete control of the chaos swirling inside his vivid imagination
Read Review

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Some of the review for Kanye's recent album Dark Twisted Fantasy

Kanye West
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Fifth album of hip hop from one of the biggest egos in contemporary rap
Label
Mercury
UK Release date
29/11/2010

10.0 | Beats Per Minute
Nobody else possesses the combination of hubris, imagination, neuroticism, and drive it takes to make a record like this
Read Review
10.0 | Consequence Of Sound
There is no question that this album is a game changer. It’s Kanye West’s greatest work and not only does it prove that his name deserves to be in any greatest-of-all-time discussions, but it changes the way we have these conversations
Read Review
10.0 | Rolling Stone
His most maniacally inspired music yet, coasting on heroic levels of dementia, pimping on top of Mount Olympus
Read Review
10.0 | The Independent
One of pop's gaudiest, most grandiose efforts of recent years, a no-holds-barred musical extravaganza
Read Review
10.0 | The Digital Fix
Sets the bar so high that the album becomes something that will be talked about for years to come. Never before have we heard something like this; it's an album that demands to be listened to and one that rightly sees West enter the all-time hall of fame with no argument
Read Review
10.0 | Pitchfork
Kanye's man-myth dichotomy is at once modern and truly classic
Read Review
10.0 | Pop Matters
It is the heart, soul, and humanity of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy that ultimately marks it as the defining pop moment of 2010
Read Review
10.0 | The Line Of Best Fit
Kanye’s long-awaited opus, a work of art that sees him finally reach the potential that was clear for all to see in College Dropout
Read Review
10.0 | Slant Magazine
The effort to canonize My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy as one of hip-hop's all-time high points is already underway, and I'm confident that Kanye's new album can weather the backlash that all potential classics must confront
Read Review
10.0 | State
There is simply not a single record out there this year to match this for scope, audacity, vision and quality
Read Review
10.0 | Culture Deluxe
It may be too early to proclaim, but this is comparable to a Purple Rain or a Thriller
Read Review
10.0 | The Quietus
Not only his defining work but a work which redefines the genre in which it stands, as well as the benchmark for the concept of the album in general... It is a work of quite unique brilliance
Read Review
10.0 | The Irish Times
A magnificent, headspinning, audacious work
Read Review
10.0 | Mojo
A genuinely great record. Print edition only
9.5 | Prefix
With My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, Kanye West has lurched to the vanguard of modern mainstream music. Let’s toast the asshole
Read Review
9.1 | A.V. Club
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy finds its creator in complete control of the chaos swirling inside his vivid imagination
Read Review
But doesn't that just mean that he is really really amazing at a rubbish music form?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
But doesn't that just mean that he is really really amazing at a rubbish music form?

Not in my opinion. Hip hop isn't my usual genre of choice, I can probably name 5 albums tops that I would still listen too, this album being one of them it's really well produced and has some great tracks.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Just don't get why people go overboard on Kanye, he seems little more than a karaoke singer. How can you headline a musical festival if you're singing to backing tracks rather than with a live band, or was the band hiding somewhere off stage.

Keep music live!

People like Kanye West because he is one of the best at what he does. But he comes across as an arse.

I don't think it's for us to sit here and dictate how he should perform. If people don't like it. They could always go and do something else :shrug:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Some people like him, most people on here think he's shit. Vive la difference as they say in Abu Dhabi. What I don't get, and what pisses me off, is pretty much every presenter/DJ falling over themselves to say how wonderful he is when there must be some of them who don't actually like him but are afraid to say, in the same way that no-one would come out and say Tracy Emmin's unmade bed was a load of old shit for fear of being thought a phillistine.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A couple of points

1. He apparently DID have a live band behind the curtain. Presumably he just wanted all the attention on HIM.

2. [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION] and others need to not get so defensive. For the most part, people are not saying West 'is shit' - they are saying that he 'was shit on Saturday'.

3. And boy, was he shit.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
A couple of points

1. He apparently DID have a live band behind the curtain. Presumably he just wanted all the attention on HIM.

2. [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION] and others need to not get so defensive. For the most part, people are not saying West 'is shit' - they are saying that he 'was shit on Saturday'.

3. And boy, was he shit.

Some were saying they wouldn't listen to his back catalogue rather than pinpointing Saturdays performance and when [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION] attempted to offer a different opinion was mocked based on his age, which as was pointed out extremely patronising.

I would much rather listen to Kanye's back catalogue then have to re-visit Pete Townshend's web history.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's all about opinions. A while ago, I was having a discussion about classical music with a young guy at work.." Nah it's all stuff old people listen to". So I said I would listen to one full album he suggested if he would listen to one I suggested. He gave me a public enemy album and I listened to it. Ok it wasn't something I would listen to by choice, but I listened to it and actually it grew on me. I gave him Faure's requiem and he listened to it and as with me, it was not his cup of tea, he thought some of it very evocative.

There is a huge snobbery about music and I like to think I can listen to music from Kylie to sex pistols, yes to roxy music, miles Davies to Mozart. I do tend to switch over if you have a rapper swearing a lot, tiny temper and will smith is about my limit, but perhaps that is just my age as I remember going to many punk concerts where the language used was horrendous..��

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here