Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You will see that there's a big world out there and you don't have to be in the EU to progress as a nation.We are not a small fish and would flourish outside.
You're just taking the easy option like many and you don't have the ambition to see what's possible outside !
You will talk down Britain but many will because they're weak and don't see anything past the EU.

Even Rees-Mogg says it could be 50 years before we see any benefit in leaving.

Larry

Feb 11, 2011
There must be a new vote and only the under sixty fives should vote because its the young peoples destiny.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Over the last 15 years the vast majority of new arrivals here have been from the EU.

Why are you picking the last 15 years? Why not since the war? Why not since the iron curtain came down?

You can see from this graph that whilst you are right in what you say, even in this period where EU immigration has climbed, it *still* doesn't account for the majority of immigration sources:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moder...ingdom#/media/File:UK_Migration_from_1970.svg

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
1) it was a paper thin majority of an electorate where 3m (of arguably the most affected) people were deprived of their vote.

Arguable indeed. 3m not being able to vote would have been expats living around the world (not just EU). Estimates vary but around 1.2m UK citizens live in the EU (presumably those who you are referring to as most affected). Of these, only those who weren't registered in the UK during the previously 15 years couldn't have voted.

D

Deleted member 22389

Stay in the EU.

Been a total waste of time and money up to now and will cause us financial and political problems moving forwards.

We should embrace the EU and be a active participant rather than a reluctant sceptic to get the best out of it.

We have been embracing the EU for years. What has the average Brit got out of being a member of the EU?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
It's interesting to see that Murdoch's Sky News seems to suddenly be giving plenty of coverage to the disadvantages of Brexit.

The Telegraph are clearly backing Boris and Brexit but it would be interesting to see someone create a list of which newspapers and media outlets are in which camp.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Why should there be a 2nd vote. If it ends up as 1-1, is it best of 3.? Where do you stop?

Because 90% of people that voted last time didn’t know what they were voting for... or at least were substantially misled about what they were voting for...

Does that really need to be explained?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
.As they do not design these machines themselves,leaving it to the venial peoples of the world,they requested quotations.These came from numerous venial countries,including Japan (or maybe China),Germany,France,Spain etc.,al

No matter how slowly you say something: if you write nonsense, it's going to make no sense.

Venial = denoting a sin that is not regarded as depriving the soul of divine grace, pardonable. (as opposed to mortal). For the life of me, I can't work out what a pardonable country is.

I suggest that you don't try to use words that you don't understand

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Arguable indeed. 3m not being able to vote would have been expats living around the world (not just EU). Estimates vary but around 1.2m UK citizens live in the EU (presumably those who you are referring to as most affected). Of these, only those who weren't registered in the UK during the previously 15 years couldn't have voted.

Dear old Lord Lawson told us all to vote out of the EU.

In a side note, has he been granted residency in France, as he applied for it?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well, as you're backing the WTO option and I'm sure you understand what you're talking about and not just typing out meaningless phrases, you must know that 5 days ago we and the EU submitted what we want our new trading terms to look like to the rest of the WTO.

We asked for the same deal that we had as when we were part of the EU, one of the largest trading blocs in the world. ( I have to admit, I'm not overly optimistic).

Now what happens is the rest of the WTO membership have 90 days to raise their objections and, as WTO members, they all have a right to say whether their trade would be affected. US, Brazil and New Zealand have already said they don't agree due to the fact that the EU and the UK share a quota system that limits imports of sensitive goods like beef, lamb and sugar. The UK cannot simply replicate these quotas and has proposed to split them with the EU based on historical trade flows. The EU has said no.

So, as an advocate of WTO, what do you think we should reply to the US, Brazil and New Zealand for starters ? (Lucky there's no time pressures ???)

I'm sure that since you are backing WTO, you'll also be aware that the majority of other members will also take the opportunity to renegotiate with the now far smaller UK. Luckily for us, we won't have to negotiate with all 164 members as most have grouped together into trading blocs to give themselves more negotiating power. (After all, who would be stupid enough to try and negotiate on their own).

Oh and we are already committed to paying the divorce bill prior to any trade agreement, nearly 3 months ago - see here

Do try and keep up :smile:

Why do you persist in telling porkies about the 'divorce' bill?Even in that load of claptrap you quoted it says Parliament have yet to approve payment.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
To be fair I don't think that bloke was a normal rational person, he had an history of mental health problems.
But I think another vote would cause many people to lose it. I like to think I'm rational but have started to despise the constant whining from both sides but especially the remainers. I truly believe there will be unrest rarely seen before and I'm not sure the police could handle it. I think the government know this as well.

Perhaps we could ask the Army to help out instead of sorting out food and medicines?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The people who voted to leave the EU, knew full well they were voting to leave the EU. That's what the vote was, that's what we're getting.

This government is appalling, but their mistakes are not permanent... they will be fixed by future governments.

The key thing is that we are leaving the EU. Democracy is not continuously voting until you get a result you want. It's not best out of 3 either.

Democracy in this country is a constitutional monarchy, where Parliament is our decision making apparatus, not by plebiscite.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Dear old Lord Lawson told us all to vote out of the EU.

In a side note, has he been granted residency in France, as he applied for it?

Yes.Too much anti-semitism for him here at the moment.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Because 90% of people that voted last time didn’t know what they were voting for... or at least were substantially misled about what they were voting for...

Does that really need to be explained?
It certainly does. What gives you the right to invent stats off the top of your head? Or the right to insult your fellow citizens by claiming that 90% of them are too thick (it would obviously apply to both sides, leavers and remainers) to understand "Do you want to remain in the EU or remain in the EU"?

I smell a sense of thwarted entitlement! :smile:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Even if there was a second referendum how people would vote would, as in the first instance, depends upon reliable information being available to the electorate. There wasn't reliable information then and it is highly unlikely that there would be at any subsequent point in time. Whatever else, I feel slightly sorry for TM who I recall didn't support Brexit at the time, but nonetheless took up the gauntlet to deliver Brexit which was the decision of the voters - a poisoned chalice.
The original referendum was a farce because of two lobbies talking through their respective ar--s, however if put to a further referendum, which is improbable, I suspect that 'we' would vote to remain.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here