Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you believe the Earth is flat?

Do you believe the Earth is flat?

• Yes, I firmly believe the Earth is flat

Votes: 30 11.1%
  • I'm unsure, but the Earth could be flat

Votes: 12 4.4%
  • I believe The Earth is absolutely NOT flat

Votes: 229 84.5%

• Total voters

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not on here, he's an Arsenal 'fan' (when it suits)
I've mentioned him on other threads, he's a total biscuit spitter when it comes to conspiracies. 9/11, JFK, moon landing, pyramids/aliens blah blah blah. I'm pretty sure he thinks Indiana Jones and the kingdom of the crystal skulls is a documentary.

We are talking about the same looney, right? Didn't know he's a gooner. No idea why he posts on NSC. Yes, there is no nonsense that doesn't appeal to him - a magpie's eye for shiny shit. Best way to protect American kids from gun nutteers is to arm all the kids (etc). Solid gold complete and utter drivelling ****ing idiot. I had to block him as he was testing my patience. And my sanity. :lolol:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People shouldn't be slated for disbelieving something that is demonstrably provable and objective because lots of other people believe something that is completely subjective?

That there is a textbook straw man argument.

Quite. There is the unfeasable (travel to Mars) and there is the demontrably false (the moon is made from chese).

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Everyone knows that the world is a flat disc balanced on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand on the back of a giant turtle, Great A'Tuin.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Everyone knows that the world is a flat disc balanced on the backs of four elephants which in turn stand on the back of a giant turtle, Great A'Tuin.

Oi. Nazi mods...he has plagiarised my post from earlier!

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
People shouldn't be slated for disbelieving something that is demonstrably provable and objective because lots of other people believe something that is completely subjective?

That there is a textbook straw man argument.

Don't get me wrong. I definitely don't believe the world is flat, but to be fair, earth flat believers aren't harming anyone with their beliefs. There's no evil agenda and they're not looking to spend billions on destructing the planet with insane bombs of mass destruction. . As nutty as the Flat Earthers and their view of Earth comes across, it's the world leaders views on Earth who pose more danger to our Planet.

If only we could mock the idea of building nuclear bombs which could wipe out humanity and even Planet earth rather than scapegoating a minority of people whose views will not destroy our planet and pave the way for a bunch of nutcase Psychopaths to run the world

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Maybe the earth is flat. Who gives a flying shit.

I just wish that I had enough hours in my day to spend trying to prove we live on a frisbee with portals at the edges rather than the round earth bollocks I have to deal with on a daily basis.

Give me a flat earth and no worries. I'm a happy camper.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Don't get me wrong. I definitely don't believe the world is flat, but to be fair, earth flat believers aren't harming anyone with their beliefs. There's no evil agenda and they're not looking to spend billions on destructing the planet with insane bombs of mass destruction. . As nutty as the Flat Earthers and their view of Earth comes across, it's the world leaders views on Earth who pose more danger to our Planet.

If only we could mock the idea of building nuclear bombs which could wipe out humanity and even Planet earth rather than scapegoating a minority of people whose views will not destroy our planet and pave the way for a bunch of nutcase Psychopaths to run the world

Your arguments are all over the place. No-one has said that flat earthers are a threat to humanity, no-one is saying that they are to be mocked exclusively, no-one is scapegoating them for anything (do you understand the meaning of the word scapegoat because it looks very likely that you don't?), no-one is preventing you from holding simultaneous views on flat-earthers and nuclear weapons and frankly it's a bizarre comparison to make. It's yet another straw man argument.

As regards that 2nd para of yours, nuclear proliferation has been mocked for decades. There's also a huge contradiction there. You need to make your mind up... would a nuclear war wipe out humanity or would it pave the way for a bunch of nutcase psychopaths to rule the world? And how exactly would a nuclear war give power to nutcase psychopaths that they didn't already possess?

There's also the question of why you think that the way to oppose something you regard as extremely dangerous should be the same approach as something you consider ridiculous but benign.

Yours

Confused of Brighton.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Your arguments are all over the place. No-one has said that flat earthers are a threat to humanity, no-one is saying that they are to be mocked exclusively, no-one is scapegoating them for anything (do you understand the meaning of the word scapegoat because it looks very likely that you don't?), no-one is preventing you from holding simultaneous views on flat-earthers and nuclear weapons and frankly it's a bizarre comparison to make. It's yet another straw man argument.

As regards that 2nd para of yours, nuclear proliferation has been mocked for decades. There's also a huge contradiction there. You need to make your mind up... would a nuclear war wipe out humanity or would it pave the way for a bunch of nutcase psychopaths to rule the world? And how exactly would a nuclear war give power to nutcase psychopaths that they didn't already possess?

Neither. I want it or my armpit.

Hey matey...long night?

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I wish flat earthers would

You clearly haven't grasped their argument.

They acknowledge gravity as. Fact but dismiss Newton. Gravity is a force that science "cannot explain" it acts on all surfaces equally, round or flat...we just can't explain it.

Oh Christ, I need to sleep.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton

In many ways I think the rise in keyboard conspiracy theorist warriors like the flat earther's harms rational debate as it enables the powers that be to lump anyone who challenges the status quo in with all of the other 'conspiracy theorist nut cases'.

The internet is now a hot bed of misinformation and its practically impossible to get an impartial view on anything or get to the real truth of whats going on. I myself went through a period of youtube 'truth' finding and before I knew it I was being fed all sorts of crap some of which I started to believe. Thats how youtube works you start searching for something and it feeds you more of the same stuff, takes you on a addictive journey and it decides the destination.

You have got to question why multi national companies such as Facebook and Youtube encourage the proliferation of this stuff, its almost like there is a vested interest in having the masses hooked on drivel (like the world being flat) while all the things that should concern people are allowed to fly under the radar!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I watched a documentary series a while back on suspension bridge building. Can't remember which bridge it was now, but the two support pylons were built exactly upright but about 800 metres apart. So, why, were the tops 30cm further apart than the bases when measured by laser? I'm sure those 3 wise monkeys would have the answer but I believe it's because the earth is not flat.

Some people want to be different, if it's harmless, let them believe whatever they want to ....
But they do look stupid ...

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
I watched a documentary series a while back on suspension bridge building. Can't remember which bridge it was now, but the two support pylons were built exactly upright but about 800 metres apart. So, why, were the tops 30cm further apart than the bases when measured by laser? I'm sure those 3 wise monkeys would have the answer but I believe it's because the earth is not flat.

Some people want to be different, if it's harmless, let them believe whatever they want to ....
But they do look stupid ...

Or someone built the towers on the piss? They have an answer for everything.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.

There's also the question of why you think that the way to oppose something you regard as extremely dangerous should be the same approach as something you consider ridiculous but benign.

Yours

Confused of Brighton.

Flat earthers believe the world is flat. World leaders(some) are threatening to flatten earth.

Who are the biggest nutters and who are the ones the majority are believing?

Like I said, I don't believe in the world being Flat but if I did come across someone who did believe in the world being flat, I wouldn't mock their views. My point is basically that we (including myself) shouldn't be so harsh towards their beliefs. There's no harm in people thinking outside of the box even if the idea is totally insane. We need to be more accepting of other people's superstition. I've made jokes about them too and with self reflection, I suppose I've been pretty hypocritical considering some of my views. The same should go with anyone who believes in God or UFO's.

Last edited:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I feel another thread derailing coming. Shame as it's been a good one so far.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Flat earthers believe the world is flat. World leaders(some) are threatening make the world flat.

Who are the biggest nutters and who are the ones the majority are believing?
You're deflecting by answering questions with irrelevant questions. We've been here before. Life is too short and my bed is calling.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
But do they really believe that the world is flat, because it just isn't with 100% undeniable proof that it isn't.
So that makes me wonder why people say that it is and what is wrong with them.
There are some theories that have not been proven which people believe and that is fair enough, but they must really know that the world is not flat so why say that it is, what is going on in their swede.
I worry for these people and in a way they frighten me because some people are totally sucked in when told a total load of crap, not only believing it but giving the most insane reasons.
But I also agree with others that apart from making themselves look total fruit cakes, they are doing no harm.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
In many ways I think the rise in keyboard conspiracy theorist warriors like the flat earther's harms rational debate as it enables the powers that be to lump anyone who challenges the status quo in with all of the other 'conspiracy theorist nut cases'.

The internet is now a hot bed of misinformation and its practically impossible to get an impartial view on anything or get to the real truth of whats going on. I myself went through a period of youtube 'truth' finding and before I knew it I was being fed all sorts of crap some of which I started to believe. Thats how youtube works you start searching for something and it feeds you more of the same stuff, takes you on a addictive journey and it decides the destination.

You have got to question why multi national companies such as Facebook and Youtube encourage the proliferation of this stuff, its almost like there is a vested interest in having the masses hooked on drivel (like the world being flat) while all the things that should concern people are allowed to fly under the radar!

This is 100% correct and describes perfectly the sad irony of the tinfoil hatters who want the world to "wake up" and stop being "sheep" while they believe any kind of insane bullshit on YouTube because it fits their agenda.

Question everything, great. But when the answer is "it's been proved by science, for a few thousand years" maybe stop on that one and question something important.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here