Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace fans young and old (mostly young)...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So, why do Palace fans continue to use this argument against Brighton fans when your club does EXACTLY the same? If anything you make yourselves look even more stupid as our average home crowds in the Championship exceed yours IN THE PREM.

:thumbsup:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I don't understand why this is a shock to anyone. Every team in the country (including Palace and Brighton) have a significant number of "plastic" fans who will only attend when things are going well. Thousands of people didn't want to go to the Withdean because it was an absolute sh*thole. Thousands of people weren't interested in watching Palace vs Scunthorpe in the Championship in 2008. Of course there's a significant section of more dedicated and permanent supporters who will go every season regardless of where or who we're playing, but it's silly to suggest that either club could fill a stadium with these people alone.

But the stats don't lie!

2016/17 you are playing in the PL; the "best league in the world". We are playing in the second tier of English football. Our average attendance was higher than yours (27,253 v 25,161) Explain that one away fella! (or is it all the "plastics" that turned up to watch us play second tier football?) :rolleyes:

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
But the stats don't lie!

2016/17 you are playing in the PL; the "best league in the world". We are playing in the second tier of English football. Our average attendance was higher than yours (27,253 v 25,161) Explain that one away fella! (or is it all the "plastics" that turned up to watch us play second tier football?) :rolleyes:

You've got a higher capacity ATM .

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
But relative capacity didn't seem to alter the Palace dullards diatribes.... even when we could only get 6, 7 or 8.5k in ours max... and the fact it was an overpriced shit hole with little cover and even less attractive food and beer offerings.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Was some comedian Palace fan on Talksport the other day that described Brighton as the human equivalent of a half and half scarf. It's one of those things that sounds funny but when you think about it means sod all.y

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Palace have a small fanbase boosted by fans of other clubs going to their games in the Prem. I've worked in Croydon for a couple of years and all I've ever seen is people in Chelsea and Arsenal shirts.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Was some comedian Palace fan on Talksport the other day that described Brighton as the human equivalent of a half and half scarf. It's one of those things that sounds funny but when you think about it means sod all.y

He has no future in comedy.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove

Wow. That's some hardcore jealousy there.
Could it be that the only thing they had over on us was league position and now that's gone? That all they're left with is a falling-down stadium in the worst part of London, packed with spotty kids who don't turn up in the league below and American owners with a questionable agenda?

Having said that: I think it's a pretty top notch description for Reading.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
No doubt an image put out by a member of their completely embarrassing Poundland ultras.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Crystal Palace promotion: Selhurst Park revamp plans 'embryonic'
28 May 2013
From the section London These are external links and will open in a new windowShare
Ian Holloway
Image caption
Ian Holloway had suggested a new stadium might be built following Crystal Palace's promotion
Stadium regeneration plans for Crystal Palace have been described as "embryonic" by the club's chairman.
Steve Parish said plans for Selhurst Park would be "accelerated" following the 1-0 play-off win against Watford.
But he added: "We're working on re-developing the ground a stand at a time."
It had been suggested a new stadium would be built after it was estimated the club's promotion to the Premier League would earn it £120m.
Monday's victory at Wembley means the Eagles will play in the top division next season, for the first time since the 2004-05 campaign.
Mr Parish said: "What's really important is that we don't come up and have a nice time for a year and then come back down. We need to make sure there's a [football] legacy from all this."
'Massive regeneration'
Only four of Palace's 19 rivals in next season's Premier League currently have smaller home stadiums - West Bromwich Albion, Fulham, Hull City and Swansea City.
Mr Parish said in an "ideal world" increasing the stadium capacity from 26,000 to 40,000 would generate a good income for the club but Selhurst Park would need to be expanded in stages.
Following the win, Croydon North MP Steve Reed said: "We've got the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea coming down, it's a massive regeneration effect particularly if the club decide to go ahead and re-build the stadium.
"They could get a lot more in there than just a football ground, we're talking leisure facilities, shopping, perhaps conference facilities, this means jobs."
Mr Parish said: "We'd look at any sensible suggestions. We haven't got the biggest amount of land there, but we've been looking at pop-up outlets where they don't hold stock.
"We've got Sainsbury's on the site so we've been discussing things with them.
"It's very embryonic, but I was working on it as an army of one, but now we can look at it a bit more seriously."

Hows it going for you, really inconvenient having the builders in, I imagine.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade

internet-terrorist.png

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
So, why do Palace fans continue to use this argument against Brighton fans when your club does EXACTLY the same? If anything you make yourselves look even more stupid as our average home crowds in the Championship exceed yours.

I don't know.

We're selling out every week at the moment so it doesn't really mean much, does it? I'm sure if we had a larger stadium like yours we'd be filling that as well.

Wow. That's some hardcore jealousy there.
Could it be that the only thing they had over on us was league position and now that's gone? That all they're left with is a falling-down stadium in the worst part of London, packed with spotty kids who don't turn up in the league below and American owners with a questionable agenda?

Having said that: I think it's a pretty top notch description for Reading.

We had (and still have) an advantage in league position. We've also got a far better squad and a better manager with bucketfulls of Premier League experience. Off the pitch you're in much better shape, but in terms of the actual football matches taking place we're still comfortably ahead of you.

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
I don't know.

We're selling out every week at the moment so it doesn't really mean much, does it? I'm sure if we had a larger stadium like yours we'd be filling that as well.

We had (and still have) an advantage in league position. We've also got a far better squad and a better manager with bucketfulls of Premier League experience. Off the pitch you're in much better shape, but in terms of the actual football matches taking place we're still comfortably ahead of you.

Think I might argue a better manager, to be honest what has Big Sam achieved apart from saving teams from relegation and trying to get £400,000 for a little chat. I know who most people would want as a manager. Give that you have a better squad, think maybe that's about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Think I might argue a better manager, to be honest what has Big Sam achieved apart from saving teams from relegation
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Allardyce got Bolton into Europe. He has rightly earned a name for himself as someone who all but guarantees Premier League survival. Chris Hughton strikes me as a thoroughly likeable and professional man (unfortunately) but I am certain that you'd have a better chance of survival next season with Fat Sam at the helm instead.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Allardyce got Bolton into Europe. He has rightly earned a name for himself as someone who all but guarantees Premier League survival. Chris Hughton strikes me as a thoroughly likeable and professional man (unfortunately) but I am certain that you'd have a better chance of survival next season with Fat Sam at the helm instead.

Bearing in mind the guy guarantees Premier League survival and you only just did it by the skin of your teeth then what does that say about the quality of your squad?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Think I've seen 1 win out of 10 or so and I'm under no illusions that we'll lose again next year but I have to go just in case I miss the game of the century where we stuff you 6-0.

I am expecting the newspapers and TV to be baffled and patronising about our rivalry.

I'm 4 wins in 15, which is slightly better and I've really enjoyed 2 games out of that 15, the 81 3-0 win and the unexpected 1-0 win in 2005.

I think our only hope is that Big Sam doesn't get the rivalry and just treats it as another game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here