Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Cheers Team B is injury strewn and not pushing near 20. You're team A I believe. Obviously if anyone is overly knackered or carrying an injury on the day we can switch teams around. What's the May Bank holiday run? Somewhere around 50-100 miles I presume.

Lurker here happy to join in - 5k is 22 - 23 if there's space?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Lurker here happy to join in - 5k is 22 - 23 if there's space?

Great. At the moment we have 12 disciples for 3 teams. However, two runners [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] are dependent upon work and plenty of time for niggles. Can put you down as first reserve? Unless we find 3 more runners and get 4 teams.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Hoping for some help. As posted before, I'm running the Brighton Half in feb and I'm the epitome of a 'non-runner'.

I did it once before, barely trained, hated it and swore I wouldn't again....but I have.

This time I want to start early to get myself to the distance (I faded at about 10 miles last time). My logic is to do a proper 10k race around August to have a benchmark to reach and train for over the summer.

Can anyone recommend a good 10k? Flat please! But preferably busy so I can get used to running in a crowd of people.

thanks!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Good plan. I'm on 93 Parkruns. I'll set myself a target of running the local Parkruns not yet done before the centenary. So Peacehaven, Bevendean, Preston Park and Worthing. Otherwise I'll never do them.
So Peacehaven first, see you there for the inauguration. After 3 weeks knocking 4 minutes off each Parkrun time will settle for a minute off this one. 26-27 mins. Anyone want a lift to any of above over the next month?

You've not done PP? Blimey, even I'VE been there on the odd occasion :lol:

See you at Peacehaven on Saturday.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Great. At the moment we have 12 disciples for 3 teams. However, two runners [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=24975]St Leonards Seagull[/MENTION] are dependent upon work and plenty of time for niggles. Can put you down as first reserve? Unless we find 3 more runners and get 4 teams.

Perfect, thanks

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hoping for some help. As posted before, I'm running the Brighton Half in feb and I'm the epitome of a 'non-runner'.

I did it once before, barely trained, hated it and swore I wouldn't again....but I have.

This time I want to start early to get myself to the distance (I faded at about 10 miles last time). My logic is to do a proper 10k race around August to have a benchmark to reach and train for over the summer.

Can anyone recommend a good 10k? Flat please! But preferably busy so I can get used to running in a crowd of people.

thanks!

I don't really know if what I'm suggesting makes sense – I run a lot, but I don't know a lot!

I would be inclined to go longer than 10k for a proper practice. It's a big jump from 10k to HM, plus the pace is totally different. Speed training is fine, but I reckon you'd get more out of shorter distances. With this in mind, I'd be tempted to get your name down for Bright10 (10 miles, in case you were wondering!) on the 15th October as that is closer in distance and pace to what you'll be doing at Brighton half. Plenty of time to train for the distance and nice and busy too.

I know that's not what you asked, but I can't think of any 10k races in August...

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I don't really know if what I'm suggesting makes sense – I run a lot, but I don't know a lot!

I would be inclined to go longer than 10k for a proper practice. It's a big jump from 10k to HM, plus the pace is totally different. Speed training is fine, but I reckon you'd get more out of shorter distances. With this in mind, I'd be tempted to get your name down for Bright10 (10 miles, in case you were wondering!) on the 15th October as that is closer in distance and pace to what you'll be doing at Brighton half. Plenty of time to train for the distance and nice and busy too.

I know that's not what you asked, but I can't think of any 10k races in August...

That's great. thank you.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Good plan. I'm on 93 Parkruns. I'll set myself a target of running the local Parkruns not yet done before the centenary. So Peacehaven, Bevendean, Preston Park and Worthing. Otherwise I'll never do them.
So Peacehaven first, see you there for the inauguration. After 3 weeks knocking 4 minutes off each Parkrun time will settle for a minute off this one. 26-27 mins. Anyone want a lift to any of above over the next month?

Good stuff. They've had a test run at Peacehaven so I'm assuming that there'll be no great teething problems..........unless about 1000 turn up. Hope to see you there. You are in for a treat when you tackle Bevendean! Without checking I think I must be nudging the 90 or so parkruns too.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

thanks!

This is a good listing guide for local races. All the best.

http://www.sussexraces.co.uk/

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A cycle to Peacehaven and back featuring a new parkrun, sounds lovely to me. About an hour on the bike Google reckons! Which means I actually will need to wake up which might be the nightmare, but we'll see. :blush:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
A cycle to Peacehaven and back featuring a new parkrun, sounds lovely to me. About an hour on the bike Google reckons! Which means I actually will need to wake up which might be the nightmare, but we'll see. :blush:

I'd go on the undercliff path from Marina to Saltdean, you don't want to do too many hills before the run. I can give you a lift if you want to cycle to Hove Lagion.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I'd go on the undercliff path from Marina to Saltdean, you don't want to do too many hills before the run. I can give you a lift if you want to cycle to Hove Lagion.

Thanks sir, I'll probably go that way. The cycle will do me good, I'll come back via Lewes as well, make a nice cycle out of it. Realistically I'll probably not be up in time anyway but it's good to have a dream!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Pop up to Clair Park in Haywards Heath as well......

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That's great. thank you.

No worries. Just don't do what I did last year and go out the night before and drink a couple of bottles of red wine when you've already agreed to be part of the 80-minute train :ffsparr:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Thanks sir, I'll probably go that way. The cycle will do me good, I'll come back via Lewes as well, make a nice cycle out of it. Realistically I'll probably not be up in time anyway but it's good to have a dream!

I was thinking about cycling over from Worthing but sanity prevailed this morning when I did a 20 mile bike ride and remembered how hard it can be!

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Let me know your date for Bevendean please. I take my boy to football club every Saturday at 9:50 now so this restricts me purely to Preston Park at present. I'll draft in mummy to be football coach on this weekend.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Let me know your date for Bevendean please. I take my boy to football club every Saturday at 9:50 now so this restricts me purely to Preston Park at present. I'll draft in mummy to be football coach on this weekend.

27 May or June 10. The choice is yours. I can pick you up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here