Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm out in Bristol tonight for a harbour booze cruise. I decided to stick it to my PF by running a 5km around the harbour first.

It's the first time I've pushed myself over a short distance for a couple of months or so and it showed. I took a minute and a half off my PB with a 22:49.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Out in Bristol tonight for a harbour booze cruise. Decided to stick it to my PF by running a 5km around the harbour first.

First time I've pushed myself over a short distance for a couple of months or so and it showed. I took a minute and a half of my PB with a 22:49.

That's impressive! But too fast. You're heading the way of BigNuts. I'm already running backwards in the NSC Challenges. Last thing I need is another fast improving challenger. Have a few months on beer, kebabs, wine and curry.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'm out in Bristol tonight for a harbour booze cruise. I decided to stick it to my PF by running a 5km around the harbour first.

It's the first time I've pushed myself over a short distance for a couple of months or so and it showed. I took a minute and a half off my PB with a 22:49.

Fabulous ! How was the PF ? Even if it's not playing up, keep up with the rolling for a while yet......

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove

Impressive that's a huge pb for 5k. I know it's a pain in the backside travel wise but you should look to get to a park run before a game at the Amex, you would almost certainly take a further 30 seconds of your pb and might get close to sub 22.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Worth carrying on a bit further if you can, superb views and nice runnable bit all the way to Saddlescombe over the Dyke. If you're out at the right time, there is a cafe at Saddlescombe Farm which makes for a nice mid-run pitstop [emoji3]

Yep, done that too - I love that view just up from the Youth Hostel. Did an 18-miler the other week, carrying on to Devil's Dyke and meeting a lot of cows along the way. Yesterday, however, was all about the 10k time :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
After struggling for inspiration since the Brighton marathon I signed up for the Robin Hood half in Nottingham at end of September.

Downloaded running plan from Runner's World and last night went below 25 mins for a 5k for first time with 24:11 in the Sale Sizzler.

I know it's slow compared to you guys but the great thing about running is the degree of personal challenge it gives.

The winner came in at 14:34, it was gobsmacking being lapped by him.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That's impressive! But too fast. You're heading the way of BigNuts. I'm already running backwards in the NSC Challenges. Last thing I need is another fast improving challenger. Have a few months on beer, kebabs, wine and curry.

I've not been slacking on the bad food intake as the slowing of my weight loss indicates!

Fabulous ! How was the PF ? Even if it's not playing up, keep up with the rolling for a while yet......

It's got better far quicker than I could have hoped. I did a very gentle 2m on Saturday, a gentle 3.5 miler on Monday, a 5m (4 running, 1 jogging) on Wednesday and yesterday is the first day I've pushed myself again. I do still have pain in my foot and I can feel it more today than yesterday but I'm absolutely going to keep going with the ice bottle and the ball and doing stretches too. Previously I was "stretching schmeching!"

Impressive that's a huge pb for 5k. I know it's a pain in the backside travel wise but you should look to get to a park run before a game at the Amex, you would almost certainly take a further 30 seconds of your pb and might get close to sub 22.

It's funny - I was going to post on here to see if any of the NSC park run regulars would be able to pace me on a 23 min park-run as I felt that was what I was probably capable of but I've obviously beaten that already.

Good work [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], a minute is a huge chunk of time to take off a 5k pb when you get into the low 20s. Your hard work last month is paying off!

It feels slightly false because I'd not tried a fast 5km for a long time so I was pretty sure I could beat my PB at will, although I didn't expect to do it my that much!

After struggling for inspiration since the Brighton marathon I signed up for the Robin Hood half in Nottingham at end of September.

Downloaded running plan from Runner's World and last night went below 25 mins for a 5k for first time with 24:11 in the Sale Sizzler.

I know it's slow compared to you guys but the great thing about running is the degree of personal challenge it gives.

Very nice - it was a good day for 5kms it seems! I completely agree with that last sentence too - I'm really enjoying seeing what I am capable of. I've taken nearly 10 mins off my 5km time in exactly 6 months - my first run was on January 23rd and I ran 10:40 miles. Yesterday was 7:21s.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Great is n't it just seeing how everyone steadily improves - this in itself is a motivation to others and perpetuates the improvement. We'll have quite an impressive 5k relay team at this rate!

I guess Bozza's run also shows the importance of resting - I always seem to run best after a bit of tapering - either planned or just because I've been too busy to get out.

Hove Park tomorrow for me. See you there.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Great is n't it just seeing how everyone steadily improves - this in itself is a motivation to others and perpetuates the improvement. We'll have quite an impressive 5k relay team at this rate!

I guess Bozza's run also shows the importance of resting - I always seem to run best after a bit of tapering - either planned or just because I've been too busy to get out.

Hove Park tomorrow for me. See you there.

Should see you there tomorrow, however I've got a sizeable insect bite whilst playing football Thursday and my shin has swollen up quite a bit, presumably it shouldn't affect my running? Has anyone had any similar experiences?

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Funnily enough I went for a shortish run yesterday and got an insect trapped between my shoe tongue and the top of my foot which bit me- was thinking this could be a bizarre injury but fortunately it has n't flared up.

I have had some really nasty insect bites on the calves in hove park after PRs. They have swollen up like sand fly bites - I put some repellant on now if I remember.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I took the plunge and started running on Wednesday with a couple of work mates on their daily run around our 400m track (the advantages to working in a secondary school all year round is free use of the facilitates when students aren't in).

The first day was a real struggle but managed to push out a mile in just over 10 mins. Thursday I did a mile in 9.47 and yesterday I pushed myself a bit more and managed a mile and a half in just under 15 mins. Not amazing times but, considering how out of shape and overweight I am, I am more than happy with the times. I feel surprisingly good today and nowhere near as achey as I thought I would.

I am not running today, but am taking part in the Bexhill carnival procession walking all the way which is a good 3 or 4 mile walk so will still get some exercise. I might go for a run tomorrow afternoon, if not I will certainly be back on it Monday at work.

My aim is to take part in the Hastings Park run towards the end of the school holidays as well as lose some weight and feel fitter.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I never knew Hastings had started a park run on 18th April this year [MENTION=13465]joey[/MENTION]. Someone from Hastings before that date was asking where their nearest one was and we came up with Eastbourne. I was in Hastings last Saturday morning and would have joined in. Next time.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I took the plunge and started running on Wednesday with a couple of work mates on their daily run around our 400m track (the advantages to working in a secondary school all year round is free use of the facilitates when students aren't in).

The first day was a real struggle but managed to push out a mile in just over 10 mins. Thursday I did a mile in 9.47 and yesterday I pushed myself a bit more and managed a mile and a half in just under 15 mins. Not amazing times but, considering how out of shape and overweight I am, I am more than happy with the times. I feel surprisingly good today and nowhere near as achey as I thought I would.

I am not running today, but am taking part in the Bexhill carnival procession walking all the way which is a good 3 or 4 mile walk so will still get some exercise. I might go for a run tomorrow afternoon, if not I will certainly be back on it Monday at work.

My aim is to take part in the Hastings Park run towards the end of the school holidays as well as lose some weight and feel fitter.

Great way to start, good luck with it. Suspect loads of us on here (I definitely did) started with a mile or less. You'll be up for a parkrun in no time, and they're great for improving, testing yourself and running with others.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Great way to start, good luck with it. Suspect loads of us on here (I definitely did) started with a mile or less. You'll be up for a parkrun in no time, and they're great for improving, testing yourself and running with others.

Yep, I think my first run was a partially walked mile and a half in about 20 minutes :lolol:

Now up to regular 10 mile runs and a sub 25 min 5k in just less than 8 months of going out regularly. I've managed to lose over 2 stone in the process and never felt better really.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep, a run around the block for me - probably about half a mile. Everyone's got to start somewhere - good luck [MENTION=13465]joey[/MENTION]

No PR this morning - bike ride with Bobkin Jnr instead.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I didn't wake up in time for Preston Park this morning, so I've done a 13.2 miler taking in the Piers, Lagoon, Porslade and Mile Oak before terminating at the Old Steine. A solid effort, got the Isle of Wight half marathon on the 16th August to train for! Target time is 90 minutes.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
I didn't wake up in time for Preston Park this morning, so I've done a 13.2 miler taking in the Piers, Lagoon, Porslade and Mile Oak before terminating at the Old Steine. A solid effort, got the Isle of Wight half marathon on the 16th August to train for! Target time is 90 minutes.

Me neither, I took advantage of a much needed lay in until 8:25 this morning. Went out this afternoon instead and fancied a new route with plenty of hills. Turned right at Old Shoreham Road into Portslade village onto Mile Oak farm and then through Southwick and back to home. 9 miles in 1:05:47 best part of 300 feet gained.

Only one Park Run next week due to Gay Pride so Hove Park will be very busy.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Just finished what was probably my favourite ever training run.

Someone said at the Phoenix 10k that they thought that if you ran regularly you could never really put on weight. To be fair I've been challenging that theory. Another BBQ last night with some of France's finest grape juice meaning there was always a chance of either dehydrating or a Mr Hankey incident.

Instead, however, I ran exactly 11 miles, the furthest I've ever done. What was good though was that I managed very consistent splits without going off too fast or slowing down too much. Mostly achieved using the fairly mental but effective method of repeating a rhythm in my brain.

Some right casualties on Brighton beach to admire as well, must have been a busy night last night.

Mile splits:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Trundled around the Lunar-Tic marathon last night. Shoreham to Bramber and back along the river 3 times starting at 8pm. First lap was in fading light, managed to get half way to Bramber on the second lap before torching up. Cracking event, all very low key but very friendly, aid stations at Shoreham and Bramber and a nice medal at the end. Happy enough with time after a rubbish 6 weeks following the SDW100 failure and as usual with trail runs, almost no stiffness this morning.

https://www.strava.com/activities/354178946

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here