Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Just out of sheer bloody nosiness I'd love to see the offers and counter-offers with footballers' contracts. I can't recall whether it was the club offering it or whether it was a demand from the player and/or agent but years back when we had that messy round of contract talks with George O'Callaghan, Dean Hammond and Bas Savage one of the things offered to or demanded by Bas was a full tank of petrol each week.

They were more innocent times for sure.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Great at saving penalties too, invaluable in the Premier League, where I have no doubt we will see plenty given against us. Immense club man and embodies the spirit of our club. Be gutted to see him go, still really hope he stays, and as others have said, I have a feeling he could really come to regret it if he decides his journey with us ends now.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

He's a confident person who will grab the vast cash including signing on fee at his next club, whether he plays or not. To us as Sussex people we think the Albion is special, but Mr & Mrs Stockdale will move on in an instant to buy that massive home in London/Surrey or West Yorkshire. We will become a happy memory of a small part in his career.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just out of sheer bloody nosiness I'd love to see the offers and counter-offers with footballers' contracts. I can't recall whether it was the club offering it or whether it was a demand from the player and/or agent but years back when we had that messy round of contract talks with George O'Callaghan, Dean Hammond and Bas Savage one of the things offered to or demanded by Bas was a full tank of petrol each week.

The money was still more than decent then. I was given info at the time when a batch of former youth players were awarded new contracts including Hammond (very early in their careers) of £100k per year. Imagine that, a 20 year old at a club playing out of Withdean Stadium on £100k a year, compared to 20 year old Joe Public's.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Me too-say we offered (pure speculation) £25k per week assuming say (pure speculation) £12k per week previous....

what if Leeds could offer £31k per week or AFCB say £38k per week....

makes one wonder-clearly simplistic and does not include bonus and add ons etc,but makes one wonder how far off the pace we are,also,if he was that good,could we compete with say (speculation again)

£51k per week Westbrom or £ 62k per week from Chelsea (to warm the bench)..

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The money was still more than decent then. I was given info at the time when a batch of former youth players were awarded new contracts including Hammond (very early in their careers) of £100k per year. Imagine that, a 20 year old at a club playing out of Withdean Stadium on £100k a year, compared to 20 year old Joe Public's.

That wouldn't have surprised me and I think Hammond was probably worth that. Wilkins wanted to build his team around Hammond and without wanting to re-open old wounds, getting a team largely made up of ex-youth team players to 7th in the league was quite an achievement and one that was probably unexpected by Brighton's then board. Especially if the rumours about how little Wilkins was getting paid at that time.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Me too-say we offered (pure speculation) £25k per week assuming say (pure speculation) £12k per week previous....

what if Leeds could offer £31k per week or AFCB say £38k per week....

makes one wonder-clearly simplistic and does not include bonus and add ons etc,but makes one wonder how far off the pace we are,also,if he was that good,could we compete with say (speculation again)

£51k per week Westbrom or £ 62k per week from Chelsea (to warm the bench)..

The add-ons are probably the most revealing: Bonuses for winning, scoring, getting promotion, playing X number of games. Demands from agents that their man plays Y number of games.

One of the add-ons demanded by Bas Savage's agent was for Bas to be made club captain (allegedly). That would have been entertaining. Not sure what message it would have sent to the rest of the squad though.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
The add-ons are probably the most revealing: Bonuses for winning, scoring, getting promotion, playing X number of games. Demands from agents that their man plays Y number of games.

One of the add-ons demanded by Bas Savage's agent was for Bas to be made club captain (allegedly). That would have been entertaining. Not sure what message it would have sent to the rest of the squad though.

:lolol: Bas would have bought even the best out of Leon Knight-seriously though,you are probably right,for now we are able to match the basics within reason,something that only promotion has bought about clearly and even that is within reason....hopefully we will soon make a transfer (public) so to speak and not undisclosed..

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:lolol: Bas would have bought even the best out of Leon Knight-seriously though,you are probably right,for now we are able to match the basics within reason,something that only promotion has bought about clearly and even that is within reason....hopefully we will soon make a transfer (public) so to speak and not undisclosed..

A Brighton transfer that isn't 'fee undisclosed'? I think hell will freeze over first!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Does anyone else think he is hardly covering himself in glory with this? I've unfollowed him on Twitter as the constant RTing is annoying, especially this sickly Leeds love him. Am I right in saying he's played more for us than the rest of all his clubs put together ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Does anyone else think he is hardly covering himself in glory with this? I've unfollowed him on Twitter as the constant RTing is annoying, especially this sickly Leeds love him. Am I right in saying he's played more for us than the rest of all his clubs put together ?

He's a Leeds fan! We complain modern players don't connect with fans, but he is just a fan of his hometown football club. Don't think I can be critical of him for that.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Some BHA fans are reacting as if Stockdale is irreplaceable. He isn't.
We will find an equally competent keeper and hopefully, someone who can minimise critical errors, such as this season against Reading ( a ) (Newcastle ( a ) Preston ( h ) Villa ( h ) Brentford ( a ) Ipswich ( h ) Forest ( a ) and Villa ( a ) Some were more costly than others but most helped contribute to a loss of points. These were still too many in a season of great accomplishment, when he redeemed himself with three good and vital penalty saves and overall, a very solid season.
He himself, thinks he is better than he is. He needs to work on concentration and athleticism, as he spends the next few months warming the bench of another PL club, before the inevitable loan deal, that will follow.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Stockdale was crucial to all we achieved and if he stays then good but he wa better and fitter in 15/16 season than the one just finished.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
He himself, thinks he is better than he is. He needs to work on concentration and athleticism, as he spends the next few months warming the bench of another PL club, before the inevitable loan deal, that will follow.

He'll have the strongest thumbs in the Premier League next season if he continues retweeting Leeds fans at this rate.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I really wish players in contract talks would stay off twitter. No good ever comes of it.

Oh well. In 6 weeks time he becomes a free agent, and if he's not signed up at that point then it's likely goodbye.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I really wish players in contract talks would stay off twitter. No good ever comes of it.

Oh well. In 6 weeks time he becomes a free agent, and if he's not signed up at that point then it's likely goodbye.

Well, lets hope if that happens a series of clean sheets and penalty saves doesn't keep a side in the Premier League at our expense.

A lot of the talk on here regarding he can be replaced etc. I distinctly remember in the summer of 2011 with a certain striker similar things being said - who proved actually that he couldn't be replaced...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here