Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums Thread - 2017

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a peach. I could just listen to the first minute or so of the first song on repeat for an hour and I would be in pieces; probably best to listen to the whole thing, to be honest, but it's chiming, beguiling, loud, quiet, beautiful, sad and joyous. A keeper.

Blimey - youse two aren't wrong on the Slowdive record. I've finally seen the light.

So good. Slomo (Track 1) is utterly beautiful. Also Sugar For The Pill (Track 4) is fantastic.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The first track is absolutely outstanding.

The album as a whole is up there with 'mbv' and 'Third' as long awaited comebacks of recent times that deliver the goods.

Love both of those as well.

Machine Gun was the ballsiest come back single ever.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You need to see them live - they're something else. The sound is the saddest but most immersive comfort blanket ever made.

I'd love to see them live. I know I bang on about them but Interpol provide a similar euphoric yet melancholic feeling - am seeing them on their Turn On The Bright Lights anniversary tour in September. Will be 6th or 7th time.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
You need to see them live - they're something else. The sound is the saddest but most immersive comfort blanket ever made.

Right then. Full disclosure.

Primavera 2014, most of my mates see Slowdive, while I see the end of Dr. John, a bit of War on Drugs and get a good spot for The Pixies. When I see said mates again it's like they've been visited by the spirit of the Lord. Must see Slowdive.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'd love to see them live. I know I bang on about them but Interpol provide a similar euphoric yet melancholic feeling - am seeing them on their Turn On The Bright Lights anniversary tour in September. Will be 6th or 7th time.

I'm fairly predictable - anything that combines euphoria and melancholy, from pop to indie to electronica and beyond, floats my boat the most. I remember buying the PDA single, not having heard it, and obtaining sustenance from the last three minutes for weeks.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I remember buying the PDA single, not having heard it, and obtaining sustenance from the last three minutes for weeks.

The PDA outro is transcendent - It's those chord changes with the reverbed guitar, just phenomenal. Getting the same from No Longer Making Time. There's a bit in Leif Erikson (last track on TOTBL) which is just....I don't have words for it.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Right then. Full disclosure.

Primavera 2014, most of my mates see Slowdive, while I see the end of Dr. John, a bit of War on Drugs and get a good spot for The Pixies. When I see said mates again it's like they've been visited by the spirit of the Lord. Must see Slowdive.

Ha ha! Well, you live and learn, I suppose. I'm next seeing Slowdive at the End of the Road festival, which has a pretty decent line up and I'm looking forward to introducing the kids to the magic of the band, although they may be embarrassed to see dad's moist eyes as the music takes control.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
The PDA outro is transcendent - It's those chord changes with the reverbed guitar, just phenomenal. Getting the same from No Longer Making Time. There's a bit in Leif Erikson (last track on TOTBL) which is just....I don't have words for it.

I think I need to do a euphoric melancholic mix for the weekend now. Pretty sure Pevenseagull did a thread on this about a year ago. Could have the two Interpol tracks and the Slowdive song mentioned above, plus probably bung in When The Sun Hits by Slowdive for good measure, You Never Should by MBV, Teen Angst/Midnight City by M83, Blue Monday, All The Wine by The National, I could go on for some time here - should probably get on with some work instead.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think I need to do a euphoric melancholic mix for the weekend now. Pretty sure Pevenseagull did a thread on this about a year ago. Could have the two Interpol tracks and the Slowdive song mentioned above, plus probably bung in When The Sun Hits by Slowdive for good measure, You Never Should by MBV, Teen Angst/Midnight City by M83, Blue Monday, All The Wine by The National, I could go on for some time here - should probably get on with some work instead.

Some earlier M83 might fit the bill more, like Run Into Flowers off DeadCities...? The National probably my 2nd favourite band behind the 'pol.

Ha, same...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

No, I think you should get on and do it.

You do still have my address, right?... :whistle:

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
you fellas really ought to be raving about kamasi washington's new EP or the new thundercat album. or failing that joey badass. we live in hope i think i'm an outlier here maybe with [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION]

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
you fellas really ought to be raving about kamasi washington's new EP or the new thundercat album. or failing that joey badass. we live in hope i think i'm an outlier here maybe with [MENTION=29779]Whitechapel[/MENTION]

Couldn't really get into the second; I'll try the first.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

Thanks for the reminder on the KW EP, I'll get to that. I did give the Thundercat record a few listens after you posted about it in March and watched his set at the 6 Music fesival on the TV. Nothing's really stuck.

Listening to Joey Badass now. Very nice, much more up my street than the new Kendrick album.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here