Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex factor

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
First few games will be a shock like going to big school for the first time, but I am hoping that by October we will be hanging out behind the bike sheds smoking fags and fingering off the school sluts with the big boys from 6th form.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Football is about highs and lows. Don't know any club,players or managers on the whole that don't get all the praise when winning, then scapegoated when losing. Fans invest a lot in their football club, for some more then their marriages or relationships. When it goes wrong,they will always look for someone to blame, the starting point being the ref/ linesman so on and so on. The ones that don't moan about the team will moan about queues,pies, stewards, transport, fellow fans and anything else.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

In my experience, Liverpool fans go quiet but rarely slag the players off during the game. Athletic Bilbao fans support their players no matter what. I'm sure there are other examples.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
so having said that, Hughton does need to adopt a more positive approach at home at least, and extend that to bringing in some players who can offer a difference.

Yes - we need to play THREE wingers and THREE strikers instead of just the two in each area. He's so boring.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You'll always get 'voyeurs' at grounds who are just there "to say they've been there.." whilst taking shed loads of selfies and commenting on how nice the other teams kit looks.

Agreed - and people who only join their club's forum AFTER they've been promoted to the Prem.....typical JCLs eh?

:wink:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Agreed - and people who only join their club's forum AFTER they've been promoted to the Prem.....typical JCLs eh?

:wink:

Ouch! :cry:

I've been lurking for ages, laughing my arse off at some of the very witty comments but being scared off by most members having 58.2 squillion posts to actually register and reply. You is the bigger boys. You did it, then ran away...

I'll hold my hands up and say I've not been a fan since 1956, nor have I a statto-esque knowledge of Brighton players since Wilf Ramsthwaite laced up his knee high boots and kicked a pigs bladder across Brighton Pavilion - but... about three years ago I was taken to a Brighton game and was totally wowed by the ground, the support and the team.

Next season, I bought a season ticket when I could, for myself and my son, then renewed, and, strangely, I decided to renew for the coming season.

I could be labelled a plastic fan, but I've been going to live games since 1978... and we all have to start somewhere on here. I hope to make people laugh, have the odd valid point, and enjoy the banter.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I've been lurking for ages, laughing my arse off at some of the very witty comments but being scared off by most members having 58.2 squillion posts to actually register and reply. You is the bigger boys. You did it, then ran away...

I'll hold my hands up and say I've not been a fan since 1956, nor have I a statto-esque knowledge of Brighton players since Wilf Ramsthwaite laced up his knee high boots and kicked a pigs bladder across Brighton Pavilion - but... about three years ago I was taken to a Brighton game and was totally wowed by the ground, the support and the team.

Next season, I bought a season ticket when I could, for myself and my son, then renewed, and, strangely, I decided to renew for the coming season.

I could be labelled a plastic fan, but I've been going to live games since 1978... and we all have to start somewhere on here. I hope to make people laugh, have the odd valid point, and enjoy the banter.

Buddy, I was totally joking! I can't stand people who turn their nose up at newbies, there's nothing more childish.

You're more than welcome.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Should i be concerned,that are our vastly increased Amex fan base,are NOT premier league ready,and will turn against the team and management ,next season after a run of defeats.

Yes you should be.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM

Wether you have 5 posts or 5,000, nobody cares if your point is well made and valid, settle in slowly is my advice, rather than turning up on day 1 and creating a thread about signing Ronaldo and Messi now we are in the big time for example..

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Vastly?
We've averaged 26/28k in a capacity of 30,750 for quiet a few years now.....How many of these types do you think we'll have next season ????

Attendances dropped to 16k the first season we struggled so I'd say quite a few...

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I thought this was going to be a thread about some sort of Albion/Simon Cowell joint venture.

Wilf sounds more like an early pioneer of the local gay scene.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
Just that it's not just newbies who often fail to get behind our players. Like you I hope that the crowd remains positive through some difficult games but I fear that modern day short attention spans will affect many fans both old
and new.

I know Ashley had his detractors - I didn't notice it so obviously maybe, did you have a vocal and incessant contingent near you? I agree with you - I'm not saying our noise makers are perfect, but hope that as part of the excitement of Premier League football they can help invest any short-attention types with the right attitude.

I think stick for a player is slightly different than general crummy attitude or ignorance. It's like a stalking horse for whatever is actually winding someone up that week / month / life. Like Orwell's ten minute hate, or what have you :D

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
In my experience, Liverpool fans go quiet but rarely slag the players off during the game. Athletic Bilbao fans support their players no matter what. I'm sure there are other examples.
I suggest you have a look at their football forums before making comments. It took me a second to find this one. Fans criticize, that's the nature. I'm sure if you name the club that you think fans don't criticize, I'll find you the links

http://forums.liverpoolfc.com/threads/389918-Jurgen-klopp-struggling-with-the-pressure

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Should i be concerned,that are our vastly increased Amex fan base,are NOT premier league ready,and will turn against the team and management ,next season after a run of defeats.

Half of them are Premier League fans who have been following the Albion as their second team...there will be rucks in all four stands. You heard it here first :smile:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Wilf sounds more like an early pioneer of the local gay scene.

When I said "nor have I a statto-esque knowledge of Brighton players since Wilf Ramsthwaite laced up his knee high boots and kicked a pigs bladder across Brighton Pavilion.." I failed to mention the bladder was still in the pig, with a naked man sporting nothing but an 'Edwardian Cricketer's Beard' riding it - so yes, maybe he was an early pioneer of something!

Thanks for the comments by the way. I'll try not to come up with any valid points, or anything sensible. Promise. :)

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
When every other club starts recording gates on actual attendees not tickets sold you may have a point, not a very good one though based on you quoting the Wigan fixture.

Given this is a thread about the amount of spine our fans have its obviously a very valid point. What thread did you think you were commenting on? :facepalm: :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here