Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the last 3 results a blessing in disguise??.....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The main lesson being that we ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SIT ON 1-0 LEADS IN THE PREM. We will get punished EVERY time if we just sit back and back and back and back.

It's a scary thought but it is the CH way....get ready for some SERIOUS nail biting. A leopard does not change his spots.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
We need to strengthen and use the squad wisely next season. We have to accept that we are not going to go to the top 6 teams home grounds and turn them over. I hope Chris looks at games we can get results in and makes sure the players are kept injury free for those games and rotates the squad and formation accordingly. We also need to make the Amex a fortress.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We need to strengthen and use the squad wisely next season. We have to accept that we are not going to go to the top 6 teams home grounds and turn them over. I hope Chris looks at games we can get results in and makes sure the players are kept injury free for those games and rotates the squad and formation accordingly. We also need to make the Amex a fortress.

The Albion can only do that with quality, PL quality, players.

Fanzone and optimism can only get you so far. Going a goal down to a Craig Dawson header after fifteen minutes then facing a brick wall defence of organisation, power, height and pace, would soon deflate Fortress Amex.

We must buy/borrow quite a few PL quality players this summer.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings
The Albion can only do that with quality, PL quality, players.

Fanzone and optimism can only get you so far. Going a goal down to a Craig Dawson header after fifteen minutes then facing a brick wall defence of organisation, power, height and pace, would soon deflate Fortress Amex.

We must buy/borrow quite a few PL quality players this summer.

I agree, we are going to need to win at least 11 games and probably half a dozen draws to survive

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
The main lesson being that we ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT BE ABLE TO SIT ON 1-0 LEADS IN THE PREM. We will get punished EVERY time if we just sit back and back and back and back.

We got punished yesterday when leading 0-1 against 10 men Villa in the Championship its going to be a long hard season next year.

Staying up next year maybe a bigger achievement than this season.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do you think that TB will sit back and let us struggle next season, cos I dont as well as being the owner he is a long suffering fan, which carries a lot of weight.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Do you think that TB will sit back and let us struggle next season, cos I dont as well as being the owner he is a long suffering fan, which carries a lot of weight.

I don't either.

The carefully orchestrated statements about not seeing wholesale squad changes and we won't break the bank, cleverly dampen expectations about this transfer window. The club have been planning for promotion for many months, including contingencies for Stephens and Stockdale walking.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
CH has been using the last 3 matches to assess the squad - nearly everyone has had 90 minutes

If he's needed these last three games to assess the squad then we are in trouble.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Barry, the 2017/18 version, would slow us down in CM. Everton's main forum sigh when he starts these days. Unless a player is exceptionally talented on the ball, pace is so important in the PL.

Positional discipline, anticipation and the ability to win the ball are more important in the DM role. None of the best exponents are especially quick either now (Kante) or in the recent past (Makelele.) Pace helps as it can get a player out of trouble but over-reliance on pace alone will see you exposed at the highest level.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I doubt it is relevant,TBH. We know there is a budget prepared weeks ago for the PL and can hardly see three games altered that.

There has been a welter of speculation as to why we didn't win title, none of which is plausible. Don't let's add speculation about whether it is a good thing. Can we just not accept as CH and LD do in their interviews that it was immensely disappointing, really should not have happened, but it was the icing only. We got the cake against Wigan. Let's move on.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

That's something the players need to get in their heads though, not Chris Hughton. Not quite sure how we could have been more attacking at Villa in the closing stages considering we still had 2 wingers and 2 strikers on the pitch. If he was this negative manager some people bang on about, he'd have brought on Kayal - and quite possibly Grealish would never have had the space to shoot from the edge of the box. Tried to keep the initiative, but players just naturally drop deeper with a lead to protect.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's something the players need to get in their heads though, not Chris Hughton. Not quite sure how we could have been more attacking at Villa in the closing stages considering we still had 2 wingers and 2 strikers on the pitch. If he was this negative manager some people bang on about, he'd have brought on Kayal - and quite possibly Grealish would never have had the space to shoot from the edge of the box. Tried to keep the initiative, but players just naturally drop deeper with a lead to protect.

It felt like Villa could've been down to SIX men and we still would have sat deeper and deeper. You saw the goal coming an absolute mile away.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It felt like Villa could've been down to SIX men and we still would have sat deeper and deeper. You saw the goal coming an absolute mile away.
I know someone who didn't. :down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here