Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheffield Wednesday Player Retires

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It would seem that many footballers are religious given the increasing number than offer up a pray or cross themselves when coming onto the pitch or scoring a goal. so it is not difficult to understand the leap to answer the calling and give up football.

To many material items do not matter and the reduced income will not have been a consideration in his decision, hopefully he will be left in peace to start his new vocation.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Interesting I think that although both are Israeli, Tomer Hemed is a practising Jew, while Beram Kayal is an Arab and follows Islam.

Polar opposites in term of their faiths, yet both apparantly are great mates.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Interesting I think that although both are Israeli, Tomer Hemed is a practising Jew, while Beram Kayal is an Arab and follows Islam.

Polar opposites in term of their faiths, yet both apparantly are great mates.

Helps that they're not killing each other's kids on the basis that they feel obliged to

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Sometimes I meet nice people, but find out they are religious.

I am cautious of anyone that is religious. ignoring that it's nonsense - but you can't trust them

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
Football is my religion and the Amex is my church.

Anything else can do one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Sometimes I meet nice people, but find out they are religious.

I am cautious of anyone that is religious. ignoring that it's nonsense - but you can't trust them

For a lot of people, myself included, religion is something very private and very personal. A lot of people won't mention that they are religious because in a non-church setting it doesn't have much baring on the conversation you're having.

Oct 25, 2003
NSC is by far the most religiously intolerant website I visit. Really offensive stuff at times.

To each his own, live and let live etc, please.

completely agree...it never takes long for the usual suspects to come flocking to threads like this with their intolerance

very disappointing really

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
[MENTION=153]perseus[/MENTION] is going to be especially disappointed. Jeremy Helan is one of his go-to transfer window suggestions.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Jeremy Helan: "Allah is a Massive presence in my life and has almost as many followers as the Mighty Owls. I looked to my conscience each time Forestieri fell over and claimed a foul, and found it wanting."

PG

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
What good does religion do that can't be done without religion?

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
For a lot of people, myself included, religion is something very private and very personal. A lot of people won't mention that they are religious because in a non-church setting it doesn't have much baring on the conversation you're having.

Regrettably not everyone shares your view. To bring a bit of real life recent experience to this debate, my wife is unwell at the minute and had an email from someone she vaguely knows a few days ago, a little excerpt:

"I don't know if you know, but I am a very devoted Christian with unshakable faith. There is something telling me I need to sit and pray with you, before your operation. I am aware of how completely nuts that sounds! I hope you know me well enough to know that I am not crazy. There is a reason you felt the urge to email me this week. Everything in life is part of Gods plan in some shape or form, although I am fully aware that that is probably a very hard thing to hear, given what you are going through. "

The implication being - god has chosen to give you cancer. To all who believe in a god who would willingly do this sort of thing and who peddle this sort of nonsense, go f*ck yourself, you don't deserve my respect or tolerance.

One more point, she's a recent convert, she's a nice lady, but in my experience they always seem to be the most zealous, as though they are making up for lost time and have to prove to someone (themselves?) just how religious they are.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I was christened, my kids are not and never will be. Religion is bollocks, fair play to those who chose to ignore evolution and believe that Adam bonked Eve in the garden etc. The earth is flat after all...

Not all religion is as dogmatic as you seem to believe.

Ex of mine belongs to a free church that believes I a higher power but not necessarily that life stems from sex between a man and a woman made of his rib bone.

The problems faced by the world today are not down to religion but rather down to religious intolerance, both by those of faith and not. Greed and and the pursuit of power have a lot to answer for as well.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Regrettably not everyone shares your view. To bring a bit of real life recent experience to this debate, my wife is unwell at the minute and had an email from someone she vaguely knows a few days ago, a little excerpt:

"I don't know if you know, but I am a very devoted Christian with unshakable faith. There is something telling me I need to sit and pray with you, before your operation. I am aware of how completely nuts that sounds! I hope you know me well enough to know that I am not crazy. There is a reason you felt the urge to email me this week. Everything in life is part of Gods plan in some shape or form, although I am fully aware that that is probably a very hard thing to hear, given what you are going through. "

The implication being - god has chosen to give you cancer. To all who believe in a god who would willingly do this sort of thing and who peddle this sort of nonsense, go f*ck yourself, you don't deserve my respect or tolerance.

One more point, she's a recent convert, she's a nice lady, but in my experience they always seem to be the most zealous, as though they are making up for lost time and have to prove to someone (themselves?) just how religious they are.

That's a disgusting e mail to receive.
My best wishes to your wife.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here