Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor is right...aim is promotion or not promotion?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I guess it depends how you look at it. The funds available last season were clearly enough in my opinion. It was not the budget which got in the way. As it turned out a win on the opening day would have got us automatically promoted. Not letting in a number of those last minute goals we conceded would have done the same. Then there was the lack-lustre play-off game. None of these were directly due to the budget but would have all resulted in a much more positive outcome to the season. And I feel the same this season. The budget will be enough if good decisions were/are made and we have some good luck.

But I would that it was the management, not the budget that got us there. Even last season we still had plenty of League One players in our squad, compared to tonnes of Prem players in all the squads around us. Our budget was apparently about 8th/9th, so to expect promotion was a bit unrealistic. We did bloody well to come 4th.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why don't we, and Andy Naylor, wait until the end of the transfer window to make judgements about the ambition of the club???

Because to do so means we have to suffer 11 days of moaning about whether someone is coming in, 11 days of 'according to [twitter/paper/source/guy in the pub] we're after this guy', followed by hype (and in Naylor's case research and article writing) that comes to nothing resulting in 'never rated him' nonsense at best and 'money grabbing mercenary played us' anger and arguments between other teams' fans about it at worst. 11 days of unbearable pessimism about not getting targets complemented by a concurrent 11 days of unbearable optimism about how great players are bound to want to come to us because of our nice stadium and upcoming training facilities.

A statement will greatly reduce this, to bearable levels (in theory). Not that I expect one. Nor do I want one, really. But that is why some people don't want to wait.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
But I would that it was the management, not the budget that got us there. Even last season we still had plenty of League One players in our squad, compared to tonnes of Prem players in all the squads around us. Our budget was apparently about 8th/9th, so to expect promotion was a bit unrealistic. We did bloody well to come 4th.

And whilst we started off this season with an arguably stronger squad then we finished last we had injuries and unsettled players from the off, this has carried on throughout the season and has been compounded now by the sale of Abd and Barnes, Bridcutt being unsettled and the long term injury to Crofts. If we made the playoffs this season it will be more of an achievement then last season (that is unless we sign some stonking players in the next two weeks).

westy

Jul 25, 2003
Don't really get the club at the mo, doing everything off the pitch to be a prem club but not spending money on the squad to actually get there.

My thoughts exactly. To constantly blame the lack of investment in the team on FFP is wearing thin too. Are we slavishly complying with FFP or is Tony Bloom taking most of the match day revenue back for the outlay on the stadium? If he is no problem, but can the club just be honest about it.

Arsenal rightly pointed out to their fans that the reason they couldn't compete for a while with their rivals was the repayments on the Emirates coupled with short sighted sponsorship deals that undervalued their stadium naming rights and kit deal. I would like this kind of clarity from The Albion rather than blaming FFP over and over.

We as fans can't do any more. We are top of the average gate league in our division selling out the ground, buy more pints/pies than any other club, sell countless shirts etc, so I ask you this: Where is the money going?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If you are asking me in a 'you are the manager' style then I'd personally stick within the annual budget and only bring in replacements and/or spend any surplus from sales or outgoing players. I much prefer this approach to the supermarket-sweep approach of other clubs.

Agreed but think the question would be more for you as Mr Chairman and Mr Chief Executive.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Andy Naylor is accurate in his assessment that this is something of a crossroads for the Albion. The investment, or lack of it, over the coming weeks will show how serious the club are about getting promotion this season.

I think there is a difference in that and what some supporters seem to want, i.e. the club to actually be commenting on its ambitions. I don't think that is realistic - particularly if people are expecting Tony Bloom et al to come out and say the club isn't going for promotion this season.

Personally, I think the club has increased the playing budget on last season and probably expects to see last season's achievements matched - or certainly very close to being. I don't see the Albion breaking the bank without getting additional funds by selling Bridcutt. And, to be honest, I think that is the way it should be.

Mr Naylor is right though. The next couple of weeks could shape our season. Not sure how anyone can really dispute that.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Without reading the whole thread why on earth would ANY football club or business release their strategy for the rest of the season / corporate year for public consumption? Particularly when negotiations are still ongoing. There are still 11 days of the window left and Bridcutt would fund two or three new players. Stating "we are not going for promotion" would put a significant portion of our targets off. Given we're seventh we are not only denying their Premier League dream, we're saying 'we expect to lose a lot of matches'.

Naylor hasn't hit the nail on the head. As usual he's s**t stirring.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Don't really get the club at the mo, doing everything off the pitch to be a prem club but not spending money on the squad to actually get there.
Why does this comment have three thumbs up...

Agree totally. Most fans will understand if exectations are honest and shared. I'm happy with slower progress if it makes us a more solid future. It does put last season's achievements into perspective. Save for Bridge and ulloa being out for so long and rushed back, it's a similar set of players.
...but this one none? I despair somtimes!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I just don't understand this need for clarification re ambition - in black and white terms we have sold Barnes for good money who was out of contract, and not a player who would take us to the "next level". Sold El-Abd who clearly wanted to leave to get games, and again would not take us to the "next level". We've been played by Grabban and his agent, and as with Barnes clearly don't want to break the bank for him which is the correct approach given their potential places within the squad which I am guessing for both would be on the fringes of the first team not as the main man who you would break your wage structure for - e.g. Ulloa.

Bridders wants to leave, fair enough, let him go but for good money. Orlandi should have kept his trap shut about this, but I think he probably has his own agenda to drive being out of contract in the summer.

Why don't we, and Andy Naylor, wait until the end of the transfer window to make judgements about the ambition of the club???

I think players such as El Abd leaving have a little more to do with length of contract rather than just games. I feel they see other "squad" players getting released (Painter & Dicker) and then scratching around for clubs at £500+ a week or so, and feel they need to look after No 1. Barnes & El Abd were both, I believe from the "rumours on here", were being offered "another year" and at 29 / 30 you need more security. Maybe this is the clubs way of saying "You're not in our long terms plans" and fair play if that's the tactic?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He did score, at Charlton. He's been dreadful recently. Looks unfit and (whispers this bit) dis-interested.

Hard to argue with that. I think some of that at Derby was that he had absolutely no support though. If you have a fit Buckley and Lua Lua playing up there or a new striker/CMS alongside him I suspect he may wake up again.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

I'm afraid the club appears to be no better at keeping its "customers" informed this season than it has been over the last few years. We cannot expect to be told the precise details of what is going on but it would be encouraging to be given some indication of what the club's aims are for the rest of this season.
I don't get this at all. What exactly do you want to know? Surely the club's aim is to win as many matches as possible - just as it is with every other football club? Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I think players such as El Abd leaving have a little more to do with length of contract rather than just games. I feel they see other "squad" players getting released (Painter & Dicker) and then scratching around for clubs at £500+ a week or so, and feel they need to look after No 1. Barnes & El Abd were both, I believe from the "rumours on here", were being offered "another year" and at 29 / 30 you need more security. Maybe this is the clubs way of saying "You're not in our long terms plans" and fair play if that's the tactic?

Yes that is pretty much my point. Good luck to them (esp El Abd), the club have a value of their worth now and for the future and clearly that didn't align in this instance.
What I'm saying is I don't get what has changed in attitudes with regards communication of ambition on the basis of their sales and the expected departure of Bridcutt. The only difference I can see now from the beginning of the season, is that we are actually competing for promotion rather than stating an ambition to do so and none of these departing players have thus far (depending on your view of Barnes!!) been key to that.

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
The only interesting bit for me on Naylors piece was his claim that the Albion dragged their heals in the negoiations, disappointing if true, but then i don't now believe that we wanted Grabban that much if we didn't want to match his wage demands... whatever they are/were.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Are you going to stump up a few million for some players then?

For a really great bloke, you don't half come up with some patronising comments at times!

Is he not allowed an opinion?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

True. It was the management, but it was management that was affordable on the budget if you get my drift. All things considered the money last season was enough to obtain the staff to get us up. I think we're broadly in agreement though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agreed but think the question would be more for you as Mr Chairman and Mr Chief Executive.

If I was the owner I'd still stick to the budget. If I was the CEO I'd have popped the budget into a suitcase and done a bunk by now.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
One possible problem with negotiations may be our ambition. If we expect to go up this year of next year then there may not be a desire to give long contracts to players who are not going to cut it at Prem level (Grabbon for example). Bournemouth on the other hand are not that likely to be in teh Prem in teh next 3 years and can see Grabbon as a means to stay in the Championship. It may be that we are looking for shorter contracts for players to help get us there and that may be putting them off. Just a thought.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
He looks frustrated, not disinterested.

Leo is a perfectionist , he gets annoyed with himself. He also needs to accept that referees in this country wont give a ruling in his favour every time he is held back , chopped down , elbowed in the ribs or given a Glaswegian kiss to the back of the head.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I'm not in the business of wishing for TB to suddenly splash the cash, but general agreement seems to be that we're a little thin on the ground. For me it's all about the excitement that new faces tend to bring. What that does to the crowd, with us upping our voices and looking to marvel at the unseen, can be fed into the players who should already be recognising new competition for places and the suddenly increased strength of the team itself. Change is essential for development.
Maybe to scout a little further afield wouldn't be bad. Steady Championship pros have their benefits, but the unusual sometimes needs to be brought in to make sure the regularity of play doesn't fester.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here