Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Naylor is right...aim is promotion or not promotion?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That's the point I'm making. From this stage lastvseason we pushed on and made a significant CHARGE into the play offs. But as other teams around us have strengthened we havnt yet.

Whether or not the club is able (within ffp) to strengthen at the same rate again is the question. As of now, the transfer window strategy has seen solid players gone, other injuries occur and no cover or replacements yet available. If we are to make the same second half run as last year, without replacements, there will need to be a significant hear change in the players we do have.

But how can you say that when the transfer window is not yet closed?

Give the club a chance. I suspect resolving the Bridcutt situation will be the catalyst to strengthening the squad.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
As long as we maintain our position, I'm pretty satisfied if we play the long game. Invest in infrastructure, invest in youth development, get as many kids as we can to the stadium lay down a legacy not a quick fix.

I have a feeling this austerity will serve us well in years to come.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Never going to happen right now though, not when you imagine they're sat round the table pondering how to manage the announcement of the inevitable 2014 season ticket price rise which will be released in eight weeks or so.

Exactly.

As I said earlier in the thread, the Albion are hardly going to dampen expectations just before trying to get everyone to renew their season tickets.

Unrealistic of people to think they would.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We are one point worse off than after 26 games last season, but also one place higher in the table

But we got 35 points from the last 19 games last season to make 75 points. How many do you think we will get this season ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Are we not, or in basically EXACTLY the same position, or possibly slightly AHEAD of where we were this time last season?

Before we then went on an INSANELY good run which we can't bank on doing again this season...?

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
But how can you say that when the transfer window is not yet closed?

Give the club a chance. I suspect resolving the Bridcutt situation will be the catalyst to strengthening the squad.

On the face of it, letting Barnes go early in the window when a replacement costs more and the only recognised striker left is recovering from injury was a brave move. El abd not such a risk as we have Dunk still. The Bridcutt situation is not of the club's making but they have to deal with it and having lost crofts it could be another league game and a cup tie before we get that resolved.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Spending money on infastructure is a long term thing. Like 50 years long term.

Imagine if the owners in 1930 had bought some land for a training ground and made the Goldstone a bit bigger so it wasn't all at funny angles. It probably would have cost about £500 at the time and it would've hurt, but in 1980 when we had a good team it would've looked like a shrewd move and the club would've been better placed to sustain it.

Building a side takes more than just throwing money at it, you need many factors to come right at the same time. This was never going to be our season, Oscar needed time to settle in and see what he had at his disposal. Now he's settled in it's time to back him properly and be in a position to hit the ground running with his own squad improvements who fit in with what he's trying to do. Totally agree with the OP's final sentance

It's not fair to blame the rest of the Season on Oscar whatever happens, we have a threadbare squad that fails to compare with the teams around us. He is doing fantastically well with the options that are available to him and probably not getting enough praise for that.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Wasn't it last January (or thereabouts) we signed Matthew Upson and Leo Ulloa? Both were hugely influential in our superb second half of the season.

Can't imagine us adding two players of that calibre to the squad this window.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But we got 35 points from the last 19 games last season to make 75 points. How many do you think we will get this season ?

Yep, I agree with your inference - fewer, if the squad isn't strengthened in the next two weeks.

Purely a guess, I would plump for 30, being reasonably optimistic, which would leave us at 69 points and in about 8th or 9th. The reason given for this shortfall against the pre-season target will be the injury list. I just cannot see us breaching FFP - it's become a key mantra for the club. For the record, I think that's the right thing to do in the mid and long term, but it may well mean we don't make the play-offs this season. C'est la vie.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton

If we can keep our squad intact and playing well enough, I can't see why we can't win at least 7 of the 10 remaining home games. That's 21 points. Pick up a few wins and draws on the road and that's your 35 points.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Compared to other realistic promotion prospects in the Championship we seem to be content to tread water as long as we are there or thereabouts, which we currently are. I truly believe that if we were higher, say top two, better investment would be made in the squad to cement our position and full steam ahead for promotion and the ££££ that it brings. Investing relatively heavily now would not guarantee instant success and as we are making losses maybe Tony B would rather just see what Oscar can do with limited resources. Still, having said that we still have 10 days in the window and of course a loan period after. It's not all doom and gloom!

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
It's hard to overstate the injury problems this season and their effect on performances. With a 'normal' amount of injuries the squad would be looking way stronger and would have done all season.

Just very bad luck... and we are still 7th!

A couple of new signings, CMS, Orlandi and Ulloa back to full strength and a run in the team for KLL or Buckley and we are set for an exciting end to the season.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
Our home form hasn't been exactly electric .

No, but I have a hunch a tipping point is coming and we'll start taking more chances and subsequently become more formidable at the Amex. No idea why I think so other than me being an optimist.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
No but weren't the club on about building a hotel at the Amex, is that really nessecary ??

That will earn money in the long run. That's why it's being built.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Naylor's article -- or what I've read of it that's online -- is broadly right, as is most of the comments in this thread (that won't last, in all probability). The key point he makes is that the real time to assess the situation is in twelve days time.
Now is not the greatest time to do so. We had a bad week last week for several reasons that we're all well aware of.
The two points to really bear in mind are that the long-term infrastructure of the club is there and excellent, and that injuries really have been awful this season, and this is bound to have an effect when budgets are so much in focus.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
To the people saying the Club can't come out and lower expectations- isn't that just throwing Oscar under the bus to a certain degree (given that TB has already said the aim is promotion), doesn't he have the right for a certain expectation to receive the same backing as Gus? I wouldn't be very happy if that was me, you then run the risk of having an unsettled manager.

There is still a chance we will make the 2-3 key signings we need before the window closes.

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
I believe the club is aiming for the play-offs. It was in a play off position on Saturday and the team is playing effectively enough to get back there. The departures of Barnes and El Ab are untimely but I believe we going to happen at some time. I do not expect either to be successes at their new clubs (particularly Barnes) and they will miss their time here. What is hitting us more at the moment is the Bridcutt and Crofts situations. Both are leading players and the position is not helped by Andrews being passed his best.

We need a decent back up striker with a bit of pace. I am not looking for someone with a great scoring record but one who can promise a bit and lift the team as a whole (in the Nooney style). Couple that with a competent midfield player who we can expect to hit the ground running (maybe even on loan for the season) and we will have a fighting chance. That will be as good as it gets and all that can reasonably be expected given the events of the summer.

There are a couple of weeks or so left in the window. The Argus is stirring the pot and am not sure TB and PB will appreciate it too much. Let them get on with things and see where we are at the end of the month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here