Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Difficult to believe how many Brighton fans went to Barnsley

Scotchegg

Sep 1, 2014
Brighton
In other news, I bought an apple earlier and I was very disappointed that it tasted nothing like the orange that I ate last week ��

HantsSeagull

Aug 17, 2011
Caught in a Riptide
1300 to Barnsley is amazing for us

sure Leeds and Newcastle travel in large numbers - but I have spoken to many away fans from these 'large' clubs on their trips down to the south coast and its funny how many of them finally admit to living somewhere in Surrey

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
We are rebuilding our fan base many northern teams have big London fan base I remember meeting the same London Based Sunderland fans in the pub every time we played at the Goldstone.
I am proud of our away fans we always take thousand to London games a bit like Leeds to Barnsley And Newcatle have been playing in the top flight a lot longer with a larger ground and nothing else to do.:shrug::thumbsup:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Hmmm that's only part of the answer though, A house may only cost half a crown, but the average pay packet is only threepence a week. It's swings and roundabouts really.
Well actually, if you worked for any nationwide organisation.. your pay is the same...... banks, supermarkets, fast food chains, coffee houses, insurance and legal chains... plus many more.... all these companies pay standardised rates whether you work in high street Rochdale or high street Hove ..... so they do get more for their money.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
�� We might all have to get use to it if we go up we sell our soul to the devil (sky sports) who will have us dancing to their tune

Won't be as bad as the last 2 seasons... I predict more Saturday games if we go up

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Well actually, if you worked for any nationwide organisation.. your pay is the same...... banks, supermarkets, fast food chains, coffee houses, insurance and legal chains... plus many more.... all these companies pay standardised rates whether you work in high street Rochdale or high street Hove ..... so they do get more for their money.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This, the £7.20 minimum wage will go quite a long way in Barnsley, or Newcastle. In Brighton not so much.

1 bed flat rent per month:

Barnsley £400 a month
Newcastle £500 a month
Brighton £900 per month

Still we are all loaded in the South, right? :shrug:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
😄 We might all have to get use to it if we go up we sell our soul to the devil (sky sports) who will have us dancing to their tune

I think, if we went up, we'd have more 3pm Saturday games than we have this season or last. Part of the reason we're on telly so much recently is our league position. We'd arguably be less of a tantalising prospect in the PL. Could see games against Southampton / Bournemouth being on with some degree of certainty.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that part of the reason why Sky is showing much more Championship / EFL football the last few years is because of losing some PL matches to BT Sport. They've got air to fill essentially and they can't always use the 17.30 or 12.30 slots so we get shunted to Thursdays or Fridays etc.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Don't these big clubs get it.......We are not a big club like Newcastle or Leeds. We do however have brilliant support for a medium sized club. 30k for Reading & Newcastle.....how many Premier league clubs would have smaller attendances than 30k. We travel in good numbers for a club of our size and position on the football map. 7k for MK shows what potential is there:bigwave:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Just read the comments posted on that article and most Newcastle fans are having a pop at the author. Whilst Newcastle are indeed a big club with a huge fanbase It's nice to see plenty of them are actually pretty decent. It would be a shame if they were reduced to being Leeds style arrogant cretins, Newcastle are better than that. I've aways found Newcastle fans on the whole to be a pretty fair bunch.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think, if we went up, we'd have more 3pm Saturday games than we have this season or last. Part of the reason we're on telly so much recently is our league position. We'd arguably be less of a tantalising prospect in the PL. Could see games against Southampton / Bournemouth being on with some degree of certainty.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that part of the reason why Sky is showing much more Championship / EFL football the last few years is because of losing some PL matches to BT Sport. They've got air to fill essentially and they can't always use the 17.30 or 12.30 slots so we get shunted to Thursdays or Fridays etc.

Agreed. We might get a couple of Monday nights on European weeks which is where Sky tend to bin off quite a lot of games that they're showing just to fulfil the contractual requirements. And we'll get the odd game moved to a Sunday, at the end of European weeks, if it happens that we're scheduled to play a side that's in Thursday night Europa League action. But the chances of us getting picked on our own merits are very slim. You're probably right about Bournemouth and Southampton particularly as TV execs still seem to have it in their heads that these are somehow a 'derby'.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I haven't read this whole thread, but basically we covered this last season. Here's some analysis I did on fan miles travelled that shows we were 3rd highest behind Leeds and 'Boro. Newcastle will be miles ahead this season I'm sure.

Ok, I've used the FL's season average distance, so this wont be exactly right with 4 games to go, but here's the results:

Club Average Away Average Miles FanMiles
Leeds 2819 251 707569
Wednesday 2386 224 534464
Boro 2327 357 830739
Derby 2212 213 471156
Birmingham 1779 217 386043
Burnley 1630 294 479220
Brighton 1553 382 593246

It shows that 'Boro have the most fan miles (assuming they all travel from Teeside!), followed by Leeds and then Albion.

This officially proves we are a bigger club (in away loyalty terms) than Sheffield Wednesday

PG

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
*Raises head above parapet*

Yep distance to travel is obviously a factor but I think there is another issue which may be behind that article which hasn't been mentioned. Our home attendances/support puts us in the top rankings in the Championship/EFL stats. Yet the percentage of that support that bothers to travel away is relatively small 6.6 % last season, putting us near the bottom in the stats. The season before that we were bottom of all 72 EFL clubs with 4.3%.

http://www.efl.com/documents/efl-at...ling-percentage-season-2015-16549-3547316.pdf

Assuming our support is around 25000 we took 5 - 6 % to Barnsley when we are on the final run in for promotion. Bizarrely we sell out 2000 early against Forest when the distances aren't all that different.

The influx in home support during the Amex era has yet to filter through to away support numbers. :shrug:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There are two things that fans of northern clubs never want to understand about our away support compared to theirs, because it doesn't suit their narrative:

1) It is an absolute ball-ache to get anywhere from Brighton, apart from London. This is because we have to go round the M25 to get anywhere, and that in itself is a big detour. If you come from any other city in the country, there is simply a bypass. For example, if Newcastle travel to Barnsley, they don't have a 100 mile detour around Leeds to negotiate. If we go north, we have that every single time.

2) Migrant workers are attracted to London which means that away support of teams from far away coming to teams in the home counties or London get a bounce we don't really enjoy.

These are blatant truths that ignorant clowns like this Newcastle bloke will choose to ignore to suit his own agenda. Our away support is perfectly reasonable.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
At the end of the day we have fantastic away support, they are the heart beat of this club. I've been away when we've had 200 and 2000, it makes no odds. People like my mates Shane and Jimbo make this club what it is.

SAC

May 21, 2014
*Raises head above parapet*

Yep distance to travel is obviously a factor but I think there is another issue which may be behind that article which hasn't been mentioned. Our home attendances/support puts us in the top rankings in the Championship/EFL stats. Yet the percentage of that support that bothers to travel away is relatively small 6.6 % last season, putting us near the bottom in the stats. The season before that we were bottom of all 72 EFL clubs with 4.3%.

http://www.efl.com/documents/efl-at...ling-percentage-season-2015-16549-3547316.pdf

Assuming our support is around 25000 we took 5 - 6 % to Barnsley when we are on the final run in for promotion. Bizarrely we sell out 2000 early against Forest when the distances aren't all that different.

The influx in home support during the Amex era has yet to filter through to away support numbers. :shrug:

This is the reality. When willy-waving about anything, you don't want to add sub-clauses. It's like saying Fulham home fans are shit at getting behind their team and someone banging on about the acoustics of the ground.

The reality is that pre Amex that percentage was much higher (I don't have any fact to substantiate that statement, only a feeling). Since the massive increase for Amex matches, the number of away fans may have increased but certainly not by anything close to the same percentage.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The guys a total prat, Newcastle are a bigger club than us with a much bigger fanbase, that's nothing to be ashamed of it's just fact, doesn't mean out away support is comparably bad as we aren't a comparable club realistically and as has been said it's a literal nightmare to get anywhere apart from London for us.

I like Newcastle fans generally, they really love their club and have been through a fair bit of turmoil themselves, along with a wanker of an owner who cares more about his sports direct foreign workers than the club most of the time. Every club has its idiots, including our own.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here