Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton named new Albion Manager

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Why is that relevant ?

I simply wanted to know, out of personal interest if it was Hughton that signed great footballer/dodgy character Marlon King for Brum.

The reason, i personally thought it relevant is the parallels with the very strong and interesting debate I was reading about Ched Evans on here 2 weeks ago. I'm in no way out to judge Hughton ( if it was him), Marlon King was a very good footballer who could score and whom away fans loved to abuse! I read with keen interest all the very strong and emotive opinions on the Ched Evans thread and the concensus that we should go nowhere near a previously convicted sexual offender despite any footballing ability.

What I find interesting today is that in citing Hughtons previous successes, they obviously include the fantastic job he did at Brum in them finishing 4th (a very good achievement)...... That Brum team however, was spearheaded by the arrival of formerly convicted sexual offender (and in jail right now for dangerous driving) Marlon King. His rap sheet from 2009 2 years before joining Brum http://www.theguardian.com/football/2009/oct/29/marlon-king-criminal-career

Serial offender and convicted of sexual assault Marlon King was banging in the goals and did great for them on the pitch in the team under Hughton, even though he's obviously a complete shit off the pitch. Hughton joined Brum in June 2011 so did Marlon King. I was interested to know if it was he that brought him to Brum. And if so would that now change peoples opinion on Ched Evans? Would people accept in Hughtons future achievements, 'Took Albion to the Prem'....... If it was with Evans banging in the goals?

I was genuinely on the fence in the debate of whether a footballer should be judged on what they do on the pitch alone or lifestyle convictions as well, but read the strong opinions with interest.

And this morning I wondered how many of those who said they would never accept ched evans at the Albion may also cite how well Birmingham did in finishing 4th. Overlooking it was Marlon King that helped fire them there and the Ched Evans paralells. Apply the Ched Evans logic to Marlon King in 2011 and would Birmingham have finished 4th?. Who knows, but I found that an interesting conundrum.

Last edited:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
He didn't get us promoted, and Lambert had a year in the prem with us?

He did do well at Birmingham, and he looked like he would do with us, but ultimately he failed (and regarding the sacked while being comfortably clear, we had games against United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea left and were basically already down after having lost to a whole host of teams around us).

Didn't you sack him just before a massive game against Fulham though and if you'd won that, you might have stayed up? I know a couple of Norwich fans and they weren't fans of Hughton's, especially the second season, but your board messed up massively last season with the timing of his sacking. He should either have gone earlier or been given until the end of the season!

He did get you to 11th in his first season, according to what I've read. Did you have the same problem with him then or was it just when you started struggling in the second year. On the face of it, 11th is a decent finish for his first season in the job!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Hope that the people moaning on this thread will get behind Hughton and the team rather than continuing to complain. Looking at his overall record in management (alongside an impressive time coaching at Spurs and Newcastle), it looks pretty good:

Wins Championship at Newcastle with over 100 points
Mid table Premier League with Newcastle when harshly sacked
Championship play offs with Birmingham
11th place in Premier League with Norwich
Sacked with five games to go and relegation looking likely for Norwich

One poor season out of five is pretty good and Norwich could still have stayed up when he was sacked. Looks pretty good to me. Who exactly did the moaners think we were going to get?

blazey59

Oct 20, 2011
Chesterfield
Chris has a good tracked record at this level of football, let's hope after the departure of Mr Burke the club see the error of the way they selected players, you have to use that as a massive learning curve.

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
Good appointment, finally an experienced english manager.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Is he a 4-4-2 man or does he mix it up as per opposition?
Plays one up front I think? Tony Bloom refuses to employ a manager that plays two up front.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
When's the Chris Hughton is nth longest serving manager thread going to start? With Palace and West Brom yet to appoint and Peter Taylor just been sacked at Gillingham according to the BBC, he's already storming up the list!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Plays one up front I think? Tony Bloom refuses to employ a manager that plays two up front.

So that's bye bye CMS, unless he plays to the right of the main striker...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So that's bye bye CMS, unless he plays to the right of the main striker...
Firstly, I reserve the right to be completely wrong. Secondly, he may have more than one style (I'd better do some research now that he's our manager). Thirdly (I'm on a roll), we don't have many (any) in-form strikers to choose from at the moment and need all the options we can get.

When's the Chris Hughton is nth longest serving manager thread going to start?
It started before you were out of bed my friend :D

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
What makes me happy about this appointment is the fact we have opened up the possibility of some stability within the club. Hughton has a very respectable career at this level, but his reputation will have been tarnished slightly by his final season at Norwich. This is why he hasn't realistically been in the running for any of the Prem jobs that have come up. I think this might be enough to put the higher level teams off him if he does well here. Good times ahead hopefully!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
welcome Chris
now steady the ship
then go into overdrive

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
He didn't get us promoted, and Lambert had a year in the prem with us?

He did do well at Birmingham, and he looked like he would do with us, but ultimately he failed (and regarding the sacked while being comfortably clear, we had games against United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Chelsea left and were basically already down after having lost to a whole host of teams around us).

After serving his apprenticeship with Newcastle, Birmingham and Norrage, although it is of course still a gamble, I think he is ready for the big step up.

hucks

Dec 31, 2014
So you take there views as gospel then? Well done.

Based on this and ignoring the super seagull predictable dull Norfolk comment this is my honest opinion
as a Norwich supporter of over 45 years who saw every home game and several away games of Hughton's reign.

He was a disaster for us based on not being able to make the most out of what was a very good squad which ended up
in very negative football. It was the board fault as will other managers they let it go on far too long.
He had to follow a very good act in Lambert so was always going to be judged against the very good times.

In terms of the championship he may well be a decent manager in particular to pull a club up the league using
organisation but after that it may get a bit predicable and dull.
Not sure if coffeewood is coming with him but Trollope is and we were never sure what his role was although
as mentioned he did have an I pad ( which he may well has taken with him as Holt uses a clip board !! )
which he used for the predictable and usually too late substitutions.
We now have a manager who makes exactly the same mistakes as Hughton so are no better off now.

There are not many good managers about so like us if Adams is fired there is not a great choice so maybe he
is going to do well for you.

I wish you well and am looking forward to my first trip to the amex after many trips to the goldstone and a couple to
the withdean.

I just hope as a good club you do not have to start saying what a nice man but bad manager he is as we all
did after less than a season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here