Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
And you seriously think it's only the Tory party that have conflicting views over the EU? Wow.

Err....... no thats not what I said. I recognise that there are some divisions in the Labour Party and Brexit is just one of them. The point I was making was that the Tories are equally as diverse in their views, but often this is reported more sympathetically. Hardly hear about Hammond swearing at other ministers, but if a labour MP did this it would be all over The S@n.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Car crash, robotic stuff from Theresa May. Completely unable to provide any clarity or logical answers to simple questions. Her main tactic is just thinly veiled attacks on Jeremy Corbyn.

You can see why she has only been allowing certain questions from carefully selected press and won't go on any of the national debates.

The media told me Corbyn was the incompetent one. As far as I can tell, it's Theresa May.

Beginning to agree I was impressed by Corbyn's performance at the Labour Manifesto launch. Whereas Mrs May was stumbling today on the Dementia Tax

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
The care sector has always had problems, Essentially, we don't want to pay any more than we have to for social care if we need it (and of course, we all hope it won't happen to us) and consequently wages are very low, often resulting in a heavy reliance on care-workers coming from abroad - EU and non-EU alike. And to be honest, apart from the low wages, working in social care doesn't appeal to a great many Brits. I'm retired now, and don't need to look for work, but I freely admit that during my working life, caring for old people, quite possibly incontinent old people, would have been something I'd only have considered out of desperation, as a last resort.
But leaving that aside, you tell me that recruiting from overseas has become more difficult than ever. I quite accept that may be the case - some workers will have believed that post-Brexit they would be rounded up and shipped off home and will have left under their own steam rather than wait. That fear will undoubtedly have deterred others from coming. Project Fear did that - not Brexit.
The other thing that may well deter others from coming or staying is the Project Fear propaganda that if we voted to leave, that would mean that Britain would have been taken over by racists. I can well imagine the prospect of being treated like Jews were in Germany is off-putting too, for those who were fooled into believing Project Fear.
So rather than Brexit being to blame, it is the extreme wing of the remain campaign, Project Fear, that is the root cause.

Falling wages with the pound dropping against the Euro, no certainty on future living rights, fixed term work permits not being such an attractive proposition, negative headlines in the foreign media and the perception amongst many that they're not wanted here now - the regular front pages of The Daily Express and The Daily Mail do wonders for that, Nigel Farage opening his mouth- nothing to do with project fear in my opinion.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
"Who do you trust?" Definitely not you May

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And you seriously think it's only the Tory party that have conflicting views over the EU? Wow.

Err....... no thats not what I said. I recognise that there are some divisions in the Labour Party and Brexit is just one of them. The point I was making was that the Tories are equally as diverse in their views, but often this is reported more sympathetically. Hardly hear about Hammond swearing at other ministers, but if a labour MP did this it would be all over The S@n.
If only some people would learn how to reply with quote and do it properly!
:facepalm:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Interesting election for me.

For the first time ever I have no idea how I will vote, or even if there is a home for my vote. I will of course cast a ballot but I reckon I may just spoil my paper. I know that is pointless but it will be my way of saying that whilst I I was motivated enough to turn up and vote, nobody has anything to say that speaks to me.

Pretty dismal state of affairs, really.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I thought she was going to chin Andrew Neill at the end, that was a painful half hour for the Tories, cue more smears about Corbyn in tomorrow's Daily Mail

Well, if the likes of you have been after Corbyn, those right of centre certainly will be happy to do so.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
I'm glad May clarified that a manifesto is not a document outlining policies you intend to enact but a series of principles.

No wonder they didn't offer a costing.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

For the first time ever I have no idea how I will vote, or even if there is a home for my vote. I will of course cast a ballot but I reckon I may just spoil my paper. I know that is pointless but it will be my way of saying that whilst I I was motivated enough to turn up and vote, nobody has anything to say that speaks to me.

I would take the gamble on Labour and Corbyn than another 6 years of the current rotten lot who are intent on destroying our public services. At the same time trying to sell off everything in sight to private companies and letting the banks/hedgefunders run the show! (Through donations and lobbying)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

That's pretty much where I am currently. It is fascinating but dreadful in equal measure.

David Cameron would be romping this, but with May at the helm it looks like the Tories are in a death spiral.

The evening of June 8th could be a great watch.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
"ran with".
Far more than ran with, Labour took it up many levels, saddling the UK with £100b's of debt for a generation or two to repay. (Not shown in public sector national debt figures).

If you don't believe someone on this thread, read the Guardian and Independent articles on this.

The payments servicing these PFI contracts will deprive NHS trusts, councils and schools £209m over the next 35 years.

The Major government used PFI's rarely for projects such as bridges. Labour turned it into a doctrine:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2010/nov/22/pfi-private-finance-refuse-debt

Exactly. I had a few chats with the site agents etc. The Childrens Hospital was built by a Japanese company, the 3 schools i worked on are owned by one of, if not the biggest dredging firm in the world at the time, HBG.
The amount the buildings will cost eventually after 30 years is massive. What many do not realise is it is not just the building that is rented back, everything in it, restocking it etc as well.
All we saw was Blair's smug face taking the plaudits for tackling "education, education education" whilst getting it on the never never, same as the NHS buildings.
I have only mentioned a few around this area, worrying to think of the cost nationwide.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
There was a point where the entire country was talking about Cameron ****ing a pig, and he still went out and showed his face looking barely bothered by it. May gets the slightest criticism of her manifesto polices and begins to melt down.

Week and feeble.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
That's pretty much where I am currently. It is fascinating but dreadful in equal measure.

David Cameron would be romping this, but with May at the helm it looks like the Tories are in a death spiral.

The evening of June 8th could be a great watch.

Yes - Thursday June 8th promises to be a fascinating all-nighter. I LOVE election night coverage on the BBC. I never thought I would see so many sports halls and leisure centres in one lifetime.

Can't believe we've only had to wait 2 years since the last one. Genuinely excited about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here