Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

General Election 2017

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Why is nobody doing this, that would be a vote winner in my book? It has always been unfair on families that their parents home needs to be sold, it's a double tax. It's the principle.

Quite right, I worked 16 hour days/nights to be able to afford to buy my home, fortunately that was back in the mid seventies through to the nineties when overtime from my employer was available and when orders dropped off due to recessions etc I got extra work early morning and evening cleaning and worked behind a bar evenings and weekends to make ends meet to be able to bring up my children, now if I unfortunately suffer from these illnesses it seems I would have to sell my home to pay for nursing care, yet had I managed to be housed in a local authority house/flat who would pick up the bill for that?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It really is simple.

Person A pays until the care costs have reached £150000

Whereas person B coontinues to pay care costs until they reach £650000.

Fair?

Does it go like this?

Left leaning: fair - the rich need to contribute more.
Right leaning: unfair - I worked hard for my wealth, why should I have to give more of it up?

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
So are the Labour party going to abolish Nursing home fees, the answer is no. If they don't take your home to pay for nursing home fees, anything you have left is subject to inheritance tax after you pass. So all those people who have property and savings are ****ed either way. You might as well spend all your money, or leave the country.

It's not nursing home fees, it's for social care in your own home. Huge difference.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Senior Cabinet Minister Damian Green yesterday on Marr criticised any type of cap and says no way will the policy be changed.

Today Theresa May changes the whole policy as detailed in the manifesto and puts in a cap

#strongandstable

Complete lost trust in this government, everything is driven by the reaction of the gutter press.

Europe are going to eat us for breakfast

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
A partial U Turn from Mrs May a cap to be applied to dementia tax. However fails to say what the limit will be.

Talk about making it up as you go.

Rumours are that the cap will be £200k, so if you own a £300k house, you'll still go down to the £100k leftover, anything over that and you get to keep me.

Essentially, protecting people in the South East/London while screwing over those in the North/Wales etc.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Senior Cabinet Minister Damian Green yesterday on Marr criticised any type of cap and says no way will the policy be changed.

Today Theresa May changes the whole policy as detailed in the manifesto and puts in a cap

#strongandstable

What's your view on Corbyn now after you distanced himself from him previously?

I mean, obviously you're a classic "vote for a pig with a red rosette", but let's hear something from you instead of your ongoing copy-and-paste fest.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Does it go like this?

Left leaning: fair - the rich need to contribute more.
Right leaning: unfair - I worked hard for my wealth, why should I have to give more of it up?

I think your point earlier about the Tories somehow taking this election too lightly, maybe thinking they only needed to turn up? That detail wasn't needed as they're already trusted in government is looking a very shaky strategy now, especially as they look under prepared given they called it.

You'd have thought that their strength would be accuracy and detail on everything, I thought that would be their biggest strength over the opposition, but somehow they seem to have turned it into a weakness. Bizarre panic induced u-turn today.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Seems to be a swing to Labour on NSC. Think the populace may be going this way as well. The policies/manifestos are the usual mish-mash of mumbo jumbo. Like Brexit and Trump, the trend seems to be a vote for change, and that could well see Corbyn get in. Shame that most votes are more about what people don't want than what they do.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It really is simple.

Person A pays until the care costs have reached £150000

Whereas person B coontinues to pay care costs until they reach £650000.

Fair?

good point well illustrated.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Can Harry be PM?

Could you imagine the family squabbles that would surface in Parliament.

Basically, while it would be legal for them to do so, they do not in order "not to embarrass The Queen". If one of them tried to do so, I expect it would be cause for great consternation within the family and the UK in general.

Sounds like just the right job for Harry.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
More flip-flopping from May. How hard would it have been to focus group this shit policy with some normal people?

i think thats alot of the trouble with this (and the last government), New Labour made focus groups a dirty word, as a reaction policy now seems to be made by committee without a wide input or thought to consequences.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
i think thats alot of the trouble with this (and the last government), New Labour made focus groups a dirty word, as a reaction policy now seems to be made by committee without a wide input or thought to consequences.

Sure, there's a balance isn't there? This clearly didn't get very far because even my Tory leaning mates immediately slaughtered it when they heard about it.

I thought 'The Thick of It' lampooned that culture (the over focus-grouping associated with New Labour) where they find the woman who is so representative of the average punter that they stop doing focus groups and ask her instead.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Jeremy Hunt last week, on record, stated the Tory manifesto says no cap.

Stable?

When Paul Dacre or Rupert gets on the blower anything can be changed in the manifesto

It will interesting to see how the public respond to this latest U-turn, could be counterproductive and have the opposite effect.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
All he did was tell a bunch of people that they're the best etc, it had nothing to do with running our country.

Is that what she believes, or is it just what some people from the church she went to believe?

:lol: I never know if this is real or fiction - have you got a link?

I can understand that point of view, but on the subject of Brexit (which is by far the main subject for the next term), I'd rather the government didn't have to pander to those with more extreme views.

I tham it'll still count against her, you know, with the gays. In Brighton and Hove.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here