Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Being a casual

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Millwall fans turned up at The Goldstone wearing surgical masks in the 70s ( 77 I think ) The police put them in the West Stand terrace next to the tunnel.

J cloths. They were J cloths. I was just along from them. It was a bit earlier than 77.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
J cloths. They were J cloths. I was just along from them. It was a bit earlier than 77.

I'm sure it was 1977 because the Panorama documentary about Millwall fans came out that year.
I don't think I have heard J cloths mentioned before, im sure the masks had ties and were worn on their heads.
I can't remember exactly what they had on as I couldn't see them close up, but I've watched the documentary on you tube and surgical masks are mentioned.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'm sure it was 1977 because the Panorama documentary about Millwall fans came out that year.
I don't think I have heard J cloths mentioned before, im sure the masks had ties and were worn on their heads.
I can't remember exactly what they had on as I couldn't see them close up, but I've watched the documentary on you tube and surgical masks are mentioned.
Plenty of photos online. They look ridiculous but were presumably anything but...

The Panorama documentarists would have been late to the party so Treatment could easily have appeared a bit earlier at The Goldstone as well as in 77. Which seasons did we play them?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Plenty of photos online. They look ridiculous but were presumably anything but...

The Panorama documentarists would have been late to the party so Treatment could easily have appeared a bit earlier at The Goldstone as well as in 77. Which seasons did we play them?

75-76 and 77-78 seasons, it could have been Feb 76 the match I mentioned.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

You may be right. My memory may be playing tricks. They were a yucky green colour and were worn to cover mouth and nose so, I thought, they could avoid being identified. Perhaps someone could go onto the Millwall site and ask :whistle:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Are you sure it wasn't because they were so ugly they might scare the children ?

Most of them were children . . . . nobody over the age of 18 was a hoolie back then. Angry faced, bald, pot bellied middle aged wanka in leather jacket, white t shirt and jeans didn't exist till, er the 70s hoolies got older :facepalm:

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
cheers, recognise one or two faces in that Photo , spoke to the Bird in the photo at Watford 80's seemed pretty oiled up :cheers:, said she had come up on a coach from B/H ???
regards
DR
She was Gina from Burgess Hill and was going out with one of the boys in the photo.

The Gem

Oct 17, 2008
Ah... not sure if he still looks at NSC but no doubt happy memories for him. Shame he couldn't be in the photo with his Burberry scarf and deerstalker.

I was younger and not at all part of the scene (although I did get some of the gear, including a cashmere Pringle diamond won in a game of cards from a rich kid at school..!) but I remember a day out at Southend and watching on while RRE skilfully led successive pitch invasions without getting nabbed... :)

Some of the greatest days watching the Albion in that era, we had a fantastic firm from the Eclipse and jokingly named ourselves the E.C.F. Eclipse Casual Firm, to take the mickey out of West street more than anything. Used to have a 56 seater coach for most away games. Some great friendships were forged during that time and they are as strong now as they were then. The fighting was great too.

Jan 30, 2008
Some of the greatest days watching the Albion in that era, we had a fantastic firm from the Eclipse and jokingly named ourselves the E.C.F. Eclipse Casual Firm, to take the mickey out of West street more than anything. Used to have a 56 seater coach for most away games. Some great friendships were forged during that time and they are as strong now as they were then. The fighting was great too.
That's the thing that some people can't get their heads around with being part of a Firm
regards
DR

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
75-76 and 77-78 seasons, it could have been Feb 76 the match I mentioned.

It was August 1977. Millwall were all over The Goldstone that day, the North Stand stood their ground and gave as good as they got.
The Albion were 0-2 down at half time and Mullery was so incensed he sent the team back out early and they had to stand in the pouring rain for several minutes waiting for Millwall to reappear. The bollocking worked as Brighton scored 3 in the second half and won the game.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It was August 1977. Millwall were all over The Goldstone that day, the North Stand stood their ground and gave as good as they got.
The Albion were 0-2 down at half time and Mullery was so incensed he sent the team back out early and they had to stand in the pouring rain for several minutes waiting for Millwall to reappear. The bollocking worked as Brighton scored 3 in the second half and won the game.

I know it was many years ago and I was only 12, for some reason I did think it was raining.
I can only remember the Millwall fans in the West Stand terrace though, and the police standing in front of them with dogs.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Found this on here Millwall History, The Treatment

Treatment.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here