Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Purple Bricks v Traditional Estate Agents

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
What's the going rate percentage for estate agents to sell these days? I always thought it was about 1.5 so when they offered 1.25 I took it without haggling. I'm wondering if I should have pushed them down.

And for the op - I thought purple bricks looked like more hassle than its worth. I would imagine if it wasn't a straight forward sale it could become a bit of a mare

Can easy get them down to 1% normally

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
If you want the best price, agents that know how to chain chase to keep a sale chain together, have a big database of applicants to call, have good detailed knowledge of your road and area and pay on results then choose a good local agent not a Micky mouse internet McDonald's type.

Best agents in the city in no particular order are Hamptons, winkworths, Mishon Mackay, goldin lemcke, etc. All the corporates are more interested in selling mortgages than getting you the best price for your house !

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Its a sellers market so you should get top dollar of internet firms, about time these oily middlemen(Estate Agents) faced some real competition.

Diablo

NSC Patreon
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Its a sellers market so you should get top dollar of internet firms, about time these oily middlemen(Estate Agents) faced some real competition.

not so sure its sellers market now ...... most buyers holding fire with Brexit looming and the buy to let market stumbling due to Stamp duty and less willing lenders.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2013
Downunder
Renovating a house at the moment to sell and got PB round to see what it is all about.
With the other agents I asked them to beat the fee's of the previous agent and so far I'm down to 0.8%.

We got 0.8% last year. Not sure why you got Paul Barber round though???

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
OK, I've had a quick look at the website and realised/remembered that technically I lied. They advertise that they don't charge an 'up front' fee (because they allow you a certin time period to pay it), but you are commited to the flat fee as soon as you instruct them, and owe the full amount whether they sell the house or not.
It wasn't the up front bit I was shocked by, it was the fact that you're committed to pay even if they can't be bothered to sell your home.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
:ohmy:
Best agents in the city in no particular order are Hamptons, winkworths, Mishon Mackay, goldin lemcke, etc. All the corporates are more interested in selling mortgages than getting you the best price for your house !

??? Hamptons and Winkworths are both national corporates!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
What's the going rate percentage for estate agents to sell these days? I always thought it was about 1.5 so when they offered 1.25 I took it without haggling. I'm wondering if I should have pushed them down.

And for the op - I thought purple bricks looked like more hassle than its worth. I would imagine if it wasn't a straight forward sale it could become a bit of a mare

Definitely haggle, it's a bit late for you but we paid .6% earlier this year...

For what it's worth, I would absolutely go with the local option, our scenario:- We'd bought our new home but this was in need of loads of renovation so we were in no rush. We speculatively got the agents in to do valuations, they ranged from, roughly, £495k - £575k, (Zoopla said £505k) We said we'd only sell quickly for a really silly offer so one agent said don't 'market' it, but we'll share with people looking in the very specific local area for £600k. There was no great rush of viewings of course, only 3 in 4 months actually but given that the agent explained our position to potential buyers they were serious viewers who knew the situation. Hey presto we got the offer for £600k. Cutting a long story short, that's what you get with an agent:- knowledge, advice, contacts.

Purple bricks probably works okay when you need to sell and comfortable not waiting for the best price.....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here