Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Beeping your horn at a learner driver

carteater

Jan 1, 2014
West Sussex
I don't drive, but people beeping horns for no reason pisses me off big time.

Especially in a traffic jam where it achieves nothing but pissing off other drivers, "oh look at me I'm important so I'm going to beep my horn repeatedly cause it's going to make the traffic move"
absolute C***s :wanker: :tosser:.

They're there to warn other drivers about danger, not a way vent your frustration.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Happened to me on my test too.

I had to manoeuvre across two lanes of traffic to turn right at a set of lights. Some bitch in a smart car beeped me as I moved across into her lane even though I'd been signalling for ages.

It was put down as a serious error and I failed.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
If I hadn't of beeped my horn and slammed on the brakes last night on the M25 I would have been side swiped by another driver not checking their blind spot at 75mph.

Every need for a horn on a car. It's there to warn others of danger. Or let people in a house you're outside waiting for them.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I never use my horn, I tend to just use my headlights on beam to blind the ****ers! Although not learners, would never do that.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I only use my horn to get the attention of friends walking down the street. (You know the polite toot-toot).

They seem to be the order of the day over on the continent, particularly the latin countries.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Agreed. One should never beep a pedestrian who has stepped onto the road but hasn't seen you. Beeping makes most people freeze and then you hit them, best to let them speed up and get out of the way.

Driving brings the worst out of people. Worse than alcohol.

I think some experienced drivers quickly forget how dangerous a motor vehicle can be.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
If I hadn't of beeped my horn and slammed on the brakes last night on the M25 I would have been side swiped by another driver not checking their blind spot at 75mph.

Every need for a horn on a car. It's there to warn others of danger. Or let people in a house you're outside waiting for them.

I often wonder how audible a horn would be going 85 miles an hour on the M25.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I popped out a few minutes ago and as i was driving down Dyke Road a learner driver pulled out very slowly from a side road on the left. I started to brake gently while the car in front of me accelerated up to the learner beeping their horn.

I wondered what sort of a **** you have to be to do that to someone who is probably very nervous and trying to learn.

So, has anyone on NSC ever done this and will admit to it ?

Yes, the over day in fact. I was behind a van and couldn't see who was in front of that, I beeped and finally over took the van and saw the learner. Rightly embarrassed, would never knowingly do it though.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I often wonder how audible a horn would be going 85 miles an hour on the M25.

I was only doing 75.

I'm not sure either tbh but it worked as they swerved back into their lane milliseconds enough to stop me spinning them round. From their position in the drivers seat they weren't more than 6ft from the actual horn (albeit with a window and road noise).

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
Horns are useful, for example if you see someone is about to pull out/step out in the road before you can stop, beeping them I think generally makes slam the brakes on or cause the person freeze before they step out into the road. People crossing the road wearing headphones oblivious the road and world tend to hear a loud horn!

Its also a way to call someone a tw@t and let out anger instead sitting their pissed off! haha

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yesterday we followed a learner driver from Steyning down to Lancing College, on the Coombes Road.

The poor driver all but pooped themselves every time a vehicle came the other way.
It got to the point we felt even we were putting them off, by cycling behind them, so we ended up having to overtake the car.

Oddly though the instructor had another person in the back, who was fidgeting about and couldn't have helped.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Agreed. One should never beep a pedestrian who has stepped onto the road but hasn't seen you. Beeping makes most people freeze and then you hit them, best to let them speed up and get out of the way.

Ha ha- had to do it once in the lorry,of course i stopped but the fool just stepped into the road i was turning into whilst listening to headphones..without looking....was doing him a favor longer term.

Rule170. "watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way"

Not that anyone does....

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
A horn is a sound-making device that can be equipped to motor vehicles, buses, bicycles, trains, trams (a.k.a. streetcars in North America), and other types of vehicles. ... The vehicle operator uses the horn to warn others of the vehicle's approach or presence, or to call attention to some hazard.

Or to fack people off and shit the life out of them:D

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here