Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jeremy Hunt-v-Junior Doctors.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Why does years of training excuse anyone from working unsociable hours?

I'm sure many cleaners work a ridiculous amount of hours just to make enough money to bay basic bills.

Who said years of training should exclude you from working unsociable hours? None of the arguments about the Junior doctors is about them not working unsociable hours. Where did that come from!

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
This doctor is yet another force feeding the lie to the public that this dispute is not about money but saving the NHS. He states his case about working long hours and working in a highly pressurised environment which are all fair points, and then bangs on about going onto the picket line to save the NHS. Fighting for your working conditions is fine, but telling me that you are doing it on my behalf is disengenuous to say the least.

He also mentions that he is paid £18 per hour for a 48 hour week, but often works a 60 hour week, long hours without doubt but many others work the same for less. That hourly rate actually works out at £864 per week, or £45k per year. Comfortable money for most, brilliant money for the average 27 year old. This doctor also has the opportunity to earn far, far more over the coming years as his experience and pay grade rises, up to what £70k, £85k or £100k+?

By all means fight for your rights, but stop lieing to the public please that it is on their behalf.

£45k is the starting salary for a graduate working in Canary Wharf for an investment bank. By the time they are 27 they would add at least £100k to that, and they have contributed NOTHING to society, unlike medical professionals, who save lives.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Who said years of training should exclude you from working unsociable hours? None of the arguments about the Junior doctors is about them not working unsociable hours. Where did that come from!

You brought up years of training in your argument. If you're now saying it isn't relevant to the conversation why mention it?

D

Deleted member 22389

Totally this.

I'm a Conservative voter but listening to my girlfriend who is a nurse has really made me appreciate how much stress junior doctors are under. None of them want to strike and it really sends the wrong signal for Hunt to behave like this.

Perhaps if Mr Osborne gave a bit more money to the NHS it would be less of a problem. Dreadful stuff by the Tories.

The only solution is we pay a bit more to use the service, problem solved. Everyone gets the pay and time off they deserve. The government are able to employ more staff and provide a better service to us all. I know it sounds simple, but I can't see any other ways.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
i brought it up but not with reference to it excluding you from unsocial hours. That't what you introduced.

Fair enough, It was how your post came across. My mistake.

Basically where I am at on this is do I think healthcare should be 7days a week. Yes

Should Doctors be working 60 hours a week, No. To me this seems bordering on dangerous that in this particular profession you have to be mentally fresh as long as possible so laziness and mistakes are not made.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Basically where I am at on this is do I think healthcare should be 7days a week. Yes

Should Doctors be working 60 hours a week, No. To me this seems bordering on dangerous that in this particular profession you have to be mentally fresh as long as possible so laziness and mistakes are not made.

Healthcare is 7 days a week for many areas already though. A&E is open 24/7, for example.

I went in for a colonoscopy a few months ago at the weekend. The staff were knowledgeable, caring, professional and supportive.

Jeremy Hunt's claim that there are 11,000 extra deaths a year at weekends and that JD's are the cause is due to his inability to understand medical procedure, responsibility and decision making, as well as a failure to comprehend statistical analysis.

It was exactly the same when he failed to understand how to claim expenses in 2009, and 'accidentally' overclaimed £19,000, and then thought that paying back half the overclaim was a noble thing to do.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

In an ideal world maybe a full 7 day week NHS would be a reality but it will cost a lot more. Junior doctors, consultants, nurses, cleaners, managers, lab technicians, porters, etc etc. However there are plenty of services available at the weekend already. It is mainly elective surgery that isn't. Emergency services are there as are critical care. Maternity services are there and if you go on the wards, you will see plenty of people in hospital receiving treatment. They don't get sent home on a Friday and asked to come back on a Monday.

The government cherry picked comments from a report about mortality rates at the weekend and used that to justify the '7 day week' NHS but they ignored other parts which didn't support their aims.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Totally this.

I'm a Conservative voter but listening to my girlfriend who is a nurse has really made me appreciate how much stress junior doctors are under. None of them want to strike and it really sends the wrong signal for Hunt to behave like this.

Perhaps if Mr Osborne gave a bit more money to the NHS it would be less of a problem. Dreadful stuff by the Tories.

I agree with you in the main, but money is not used wisely in the NHS. I know several people that work for the NHS ranging from physios, medical secretaries to IT. The management of the money is very poor, so putting more money in, is not the solution, at the moment. The whole structure is creaking, as it is expected to do more than it was ever designed to do.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
The Tories are being very clever with this in that somehow all of the blame and bad press is aimed at Hunt, and not the party. I imagine that there will be a few more strikes after this, at which point Hunt will be removed from his position, the doctors will be happy that they got rid of him and everything will be forgotten. Meanwhile, the tories get what they want at the expense of just one of their politicians.

See Michael Gove and teachers in the last government.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Err.............isn't the answer 2.2% more of GDP?

I think he meant as individuals

Let's not forget that is 2.2% extra of a higher GDP.

So from Google

Germany's GDP per capita is US$46,268.64 so at 11.3% that is US$5,228.36

UK GDP per capita is US$41,787.47 so at 9.1% that is US%3,802.66

Time for us all to move I think...
[MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] Do you have a spare room?

These numbers really are a disgrace. I'm really quite angry now. That discrepancy is huge. Numbers for the rest of Europe to follow...

It is worth noting that German's are expected to have Health Insurance though, and this number contributes towards that 11.3% figure.

Last edited:

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
So, delving further, the statistics that drew linked to, show total expenditure on health care. By that measure it would make it look like the US has the very best health care system in the world. Which I think all of us can agree is not the case if you cannot afford health insurance.

Better figures to use are these Health expenditure as a percentage of government spending though this figure does include compulsory health insurance.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I havent really followed the detail closely, I would expect a Tory government to offer reasonable money and working conditions for doctors, well any government actually.

I just need to know a few things:

What exactly is a 'Junior Doctor' and how long are you one before becoming fully qualified, is it a kind of work experience thing working with fully qualified doctors, very rarely making life and death decisions ?

What are they likely average weekly working hours and how are these new proposals going to effect this ?

So what is their annual salary or hourly rate and how does their salary timeline continue if they stay and become fully qualified doctor or other within the NHS ?

Thank you :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here