Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Cherry-picking relegated players...

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Joe Allen would be an outstanding signing if we could get hold of him, although I'm sure someone like Everton or Leicester will come in for him, He could easily play for one of the top 6, does a lot of the leg work and is seriously underated.

Oliver Burke on the other hand, seriously overated on here by many, no where near good enough for the Premier league, It will be intresting to see if he can push on in the Championship but a failed spell in Germany and now West Brom, he certainly isnt the world beater many think he is and wouldnt get in our squad ahead of March for me. The only positive is he would class as a home grown player so maybe a replacement for Skalak.

Seagull85

Apr 21, 2009
Gareth Barry, on a pay as you play assuming he isn't retiring?

Originally from Hastings so could be a good move for all

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Joe Allen would be an outstanding signing if we could get hold of him, although I'm sure someone like Everton or Leicester will come in for him, He could easily play for one of the top 6, does a lot of the leg work and is seriously underated.

Allen's already been at a top 6 team and it didn't work out for him, so maybe not. He'd be a decent acquisition for us, he's a Hughton sort of player, nothing flash but really hard working.

If they're not top 6, I don't see why we can't bid for them - although like many on here, I think we'll mainly acquire from overseas.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
[MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION] is a good bloke. NSC's better for having him.

That's very kind. Fortunately the looney weasel is on my blocked list already, so I haven't read his latest childish insult, and I have no intention of reading any more of his nonsense, ever. :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That's very kind. Fortunately the looney weasel is on my blocked list already, so I haven't read his latest childish insult, and I have no intention of reading any more of his nonsense, ever. :thumbsup:

You have a LIST of blocked posters? Maybe you should start a poll on how many blocked NSCers we have :smile:

No reply will make me realise that I am one of your blocked posters :down:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Looney on your block list ? Sounds like you can't take the heat. I find him funny

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Allen's already been at a top 6 team and it didn't work out for him, so maybe not. He'd be a decent acquisition for us, he's a Hughton sort of player, nothing flash but really hard working.

If they're not top 6, I don't see why we can't bid for them - although like many on here, I think we'll mainly acquire from overseas.

We can go in for anyone we like - but the potential stumbling block is the wage structure at the club. I understand Stephens and Knockaert are our joint highest earners at around £45k per week, which in Premier League terms is not much. The three clubs likely to go down have all been in the Division for a long time, and you would expect their players wages to reflect this. If we start chucking bigger salaries than our current highest earners at relegated players it might not do much for morale in the dressing room.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You have a LIST of blocked posters? Maybe you should start a poll on how many blocked NSCers we have :smile:

No reply will make me realise that I am one of your blocked posters :down:

Well, not a list written down, but I have blocked posters and I chose, on a whim, 'list' as a convenient collective noun.

My guess is that few people have people blocked. That's why the politics threads manage to acquire so many pages. When I look at the politics pages these days, sometimes more than half the messages are blocked, and all I can read are mild anodyne comments from reasonable people, suggesting that 'X' is perhaps being unreasonable, illogical. hypocritical and (eventually) offensive :lolol:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Any consderation must be an improvement on what we have, thinking of those not currently an automatic choice.

So, any striker but be ahead of Hemed & Balddock
Winger must be better than March & Skalak
Centre Mid better than Kayal & ? [Norwood?]
Centreback better than Goldson & Hunnymonster
Fullbacks better than Schilloto, Bruno, Suttner & Bong
Keeper better than Krull & Manapea

How many more seasons has Bruno got in his legs at this level?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We can go in for anyone we like - but the potential stumbling block is the wage structure at the club. I understand Stephens and Knockaert are our joint highest earners at around £45k per week, which in Premier League terms is not much. The three clubs likely to go down have all been in the Division for a long time, and you would expect their players wages to reflect this. If we start chucking bigger salaries than our current highest earners at relegated players it might not do much for morale in the dressing room.

A good point - although I suspect that the salary caps will be lifted a bit next season. I bet Groß gets a bit of a hike in salary, for example. Every season we stay in the PL would mean more players on higher salaries

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Looney on your block list ? Sounds like you can't take the heat. I find him funny

I have different people blocked for different reasons. Looney is dyslexic (no reason itself for blocking anyone, and not my reason), and when he's funny it is rarely meant, and I regret having mocked him for being unintentionally amusing. He is also (perhaps not always intentionally, but very certainly often) quite offensive. And his posts don't make much sense at the best of times. Therefore, on balance, I have nothing to gain from reading what he writes, and a fair chance of being irritated, or tempted to unwisely engage with him, so he's blocked. If he is ever tempted again to respond to anything I post, I won't ever read it, not even by accident. If you still find him funny now you know he's dyslexic (and my guess is he has other types of learning disability as well) have a think about whether you are laughing with him or at him. You won't get any clues from his responses - I am not sure whether he is thick skinned, or whether he just doesn't get it when he is occasionally mocked, judging by his replies - but that is something I will never know, and will never have to consider again. :shrug:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Any consderation must be an improvement on what we have, thinking of those not currently an automatic choice.

So, any striker but be ahead of Hemed & Balddock
Winger must be better than March & Skalak
Centre Mid better than Kayal & ? [Norwood?]
Centreback better than Goldson & Hunnymonster
Fullbacks better than Schilloto, Bruno, Suttner & Bong
Keeper better than Krull & Manapea

How many more seasons has Bruno got in his legs at this level?

All the players we sign should not only be better than who we are releasing but for me better than the starting 11 players we have if at all possible

New striker, Winger and centre mid need to be upgrades on our starting 11 .. not just replacing squad players.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
All the players we sign should not only be better than who we are releasing but for me better than the starting 11 players we have if at all possible

New striker, Winger and centre mid need to be upgrades on our starting 11 .. not just replacing squad players.

While I broadly agree with you, I think it's the first 18 that we need to work on more than the first 11 (that doesn't mean that I'm restricting things to those seven who make the bench). As an illustration, for 98.5% of the season, we've played with only one out-and-out striker, but often we've had two on the bench; we won't necessarily need someone who's better than Murray (or Locadia, if CH deems that he's adapted sufficiently to the PL to replace him up-front), but we will need to find someone to displace Baldock on the bench.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here