Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Surely that's the safety point

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
I agree, you'd think it would be beyond them .... But didn't Leicester do something similar to escape relegation? (And then carried it on the following season to win the title).

Yes Leicester had an incredible turnaround. They won 7 (5 home, 2 away) out of their last 9.

Southampton have left it a bit late though, and have tougher games left.

36 points would have been enough that season to stay up...

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Sharp reply:) but they have ALL gone on to better themselves under Dyche (Barnes, Ward, Wood and Vokes). I remember this forum being quite upset when Ward chose the Clarets over the Seagulls...one of our top 3/4 players again this season. He'll be hard to replace.

We were upset because we all knew his worth and the club fannied around all summer with his contract. Once Burnley came in you were the obvious choice as you'd just been promoted.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
I think we're safe now. Look at it this way - can we see five of West Ham, Huddersfield, Palace, Swansea, Southampton, Stoke getting above us in their remaining games? No. Mind you I reckon Saints might sneak through at the expense of Swansea

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I agree, you'd think it would be beyond them .... But didn't Leicester do something similar to escape relegation? (And then carried it on the following season to win the title).

That is true but that would mean stoke and Southampton both do the same.

The gods will really need to crap on us for us to go down now.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just seen that last season Swansea had 28 points with 5 games to go. Ended up with 41

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm *fairly* confident we're safe now.

Being greedy, I'd love us to scrape 12th. Then we will all have just witnessed the greatest BHA side in our entire history.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think we're safe now. Look at it this way - can we see five of West Ham, Huddersfield, Palace, Swansea, Southampton, Stoke getting above us in their remaining games? No. Mind you I reckon Saints might sneak through at the expense of Swansea

You make a good point. Everyone seems to be assuming that should, and l do mean SHOULD, either Southampton or Stoke avoid the dreaded drop door, that it will automatically be us that falls through it.

Yes our remaining fixtures a re very tough, but other teams run in's, West Ham in particular, aren't easy either.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
One more point and we are there for sure, but it'd take a pretty freakish set of results for us to go down as it stands.

Freakish..... but still possible. I like that term "mathematically safe".

But keep playing like that and who is to say we couldn't go unbeaten until the end of the season.... Then again, maybe not, but who knows.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Freakish..... but still possible. I like that term "mathematically safe".

But keep playing like that and who is to say we couldn't go unbeaten until the end of the season.... Then again, maybe not, but who knows.

Unbeaten for the rest of the season? with games against Burnley, both Manchester giants, and Liverpool to come? I think you are edging towards insaity there.

But I agree, football is one hell of an unpredictable game!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Unlikely to happen but I’d like to finish above Bmuff to claim the mantle of top team on the south coast.
Doubt if Fred ‘The forehead’ Dinage would mention it though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Unlikely to happen but I’d like to finish above Bmuff to claim the mantle of top team on the south coast.
Doubt if Fred ‘The forehead’ Dinage would mention it though.

Fred the Forehead never mentions us anyway, you would think that the city of Brighton & Hove, and for that matter the entire counties that are East and West Sussex, have been erased from the map. Both ITV and BBC early evening news programmes are just as bad.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
I'm *fairly* confident we're safe now.

Being greedy, I'd love us to scrape 12th. Then we will all have just witnessed the greatest BHA side in our entire history.

Difference between 12th and 17th is also worth about £10m. Could be handy.

Mad to think though that Liverpool have made £55m off the champions league, potentially more than £70m if they go on to win it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Surely only one of them needs to do it. Unless I'm missing your point.

Yes so 1 of Stoke or Saints and all of Hudds, West Ham, Palace and Swansea have to overtake us as well for us to go from 13th to 18th in 4 games.

Ps: we were 7 points clear of the bottom 3 when we beat Arsenal. 5 games and only 2 points later we are now 8 points clear.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Yes Leicester had an incredible turnaround. They won 7 (5 home, 2 away) out of their last 9.

Southampton have left it a bit late though, and have tougher games left.

36 points would have been enough that season to stay up...

36 points has been enough in something like 6 out of the last 7 seasons I think.
Last night's point was massive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here