Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Gus throws a strop at Bordeaux (looks like a French glass ceiling)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Hindsight eh.
1st season there he got what, 5 or 6 ?

6 whereas CMS scored 11. Who knows whether the experience Murray gained at Selhurst Park, actually helped him become that 30 goal striker, and had he stayed with us, he may have carried on scoring 6 or 7.

It's all ifs buts and maybes.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No he isn't. Also no sign of Tano with him when they played a friendly in Berlin a few weeks ago.

*edit: It appears Tano is with him. Charlie O has been replaced by Fernando Menegazzo. Whoever he is?

Ok it seems as though they must have parted when they came back from China. Thanks.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Still its good to know we are over him and don't feel the need to pile into a thread everytime he farts.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
6 whereas CMS scored 11. Who knows whether the experience Murray gained at Selhurst Park, actually helped him become that 30 goal striker, and had he stayed with us, he may have carried on scoring 6 or 7.

It's all ifs buts and maybes.
Yep. Except we all know our system was built for Glenn and not CMS. As did Gus, hence signing Sam Vokes as a like-for-like replacement and trying to get Glenn back when he realised he'd cocked up and had Plan B. It's only ifs and maybes if you're still slightly brainwashed by the greasy Uruguayan.

The Murray/CMS transfer is one of the worst decisions the club has ever made, exasperated by it being one of the best ones Palace have ever made.

Poyet 2009-2011 was an absolute genius, an Albion great and that period deserves to be mentioned for years to come, bringing us on a high into the new stadium while attracting some great players.

Sadly 2012 onwards showed Poyet the man - a collosal bellend off the pitch who trotted out nonsense excuses about budgets despite putting out the most expensive Brighton side ever, with stacks of promotion winners and players that had played European footballl. He failed to get that side promoted, tried to walk out on us mid season, lied that the club had sacked him mid air and totally cocked up the play-offs, blaming the board for the clackers rather than his own shit management.

I don't see how you can have starry eyes over the bloke still. Remember the good times yes, but don't let that cloud your opinion of the guy. It's like thinking Leon Knight is great only for his play off final goal and season, rather than his anti Brighton comments in the press, his fallout with McGhee (and numerous managers ever since), his throwing a black armband on the floor in a strop because he was playing poorly, leaking a sex tape of his ex and his general total ****ish behaviour on twitter for the last 5 years. Weird.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yep. Except we all know our system was built for Glenn and not CMS. As did Gus, hence signing Sam Vokes as a like-for-like replacement and trying to get Glenn back when he realised he'd cocked up and had Plan B. It's only ifs and maybes if you're still slightly brainwashed by the greasy Uruguayan.

The Murray/CMS transfer is one of the worst decisions the club has ever made, exasperated by it being one of the best ones Palace have ever made.

Poyet 2009-2011 was an absolute genius, an Albion great and that period deserves to be mentioned for years to come, bringing us on a high into the new stadium while attracting some great players.

Sadly 2012 onwards showed Poyet the man - a collosal bellend off the pitch who trotted out nonsense excuses about budgets despite putting out the most expensive Brighton side ever, with stacks of promotion winners and players that had played European footballl. He failed to get that side promoted, tried to walk out on us mid season, lied that the club had sacked him mid air and totally cocked up the play-offs, blaming the board for the clackers rather than his own shit management.

I don't see how you can have starry eyes over the bloke still. Remember the good times yes, but don't let that cloud your opinion of the guy. It's like thinking Leon Knight is great only for his play off final goal and season, rather than his anti Brighton comments in the press, his fallout with McGhee (and numerous managers ever since), his throwing a black armband on the floor in a strop because he was playing poorly, leaking a sex tape of his ex and his general total ****ish behaviour on twitter for the last 5 years. Weird.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

There were other factors like Paul Barber coming in to tighten the reigns on the money Ken Brown had been spending like water, and David Burke brought in to produce ne players, when previously Gus had chosen his own. There was a brief episode with John Spephenson, but he soon disappeared after the Roland Bergkamp episode. There was an element of truth in the ceiling comments, and the fallout wasn't just one sided. The Germsn doctor disappeared sooner after that, and Andrea Orlandi blogged he lost over three months through being misdiagnosed.

As Badfish has pointed out, it's good to know Brighton fans don't care any more, so they can ignore threads like this.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Gus was great for a while, turned us into a good side and started the journey that sees us where we are now. And for the vast majority of the time he was here it was good.

However, Gus was very lucky to have been given the support and free reign he had here to achieve what he did, but he never seemed to respect that and as time went on it all became about him. Maybe he was always like that and we were blinded for the beginning with the great football and success, or maybe he started to believe the hype what was being written about him.

We wouldn’t be where we are now without him.... but we also wouldn’t be where we are now if he hadn’t left when he did.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
You see
The thing is

Gus wasn’t the catalyst

Tony Bloom was the catalyst

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You see
The thing is

Gus wasn’t the catalyst

In fairness it did seem like a match made in heaven for the first two seasons. It was only when Gus made it clear that he thought it was all about him in his last season that it stared to fall apart.

I have seldom seen a manager with a bigger ego, if ever.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Will always love what he did in getting us to the Championship for the opening of the Amex, for that Will Buckley winner in a he first league game and so many other highlights.

Can’t forgive him for making the end all about him. No manager is ever bigger than his club, he doesn’t seem to have grasped that just yet.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Can't deny he had a couple of decent seasons with us, although your all picking on a few highlighted moments, the majority of games I personally thought were some of the most boring days out at football I've ever been to. Pass round the back until we messed that up and conceded we all knew the game was over at that point because we could never win being a goal down. We would never see a blood and guts performance like beating Wednesday at home on that glorious night.

Some may of loved watching the ball never getting over the half way line but not for me thanks. And as for that game well he knew how to beat Palace and acted like a spoilt little c.unt and some of you are still licking his Uraguian butt hole, unbelievable.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
What is worth remembering is we were Gus’s first managerial appointment. We gave him his chance and a decent budget.

Like others have said on here - those early years were brilliant. But it went his head. He never showed any loyalty to the club who made his managerial reputation. Bear in mind it was Reading who turned his head not Man Utd or Liverpool - Reading......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For me when GP's veneer began to crack, it completely disappeared very very quickly.

Oddly it seems that not only is that an ever repeating cycle of destruction, but it's speeding up, with a decreasing amount of positives.

He's just a poor man's Mourinho. .

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
You see
The thing is

Gus wasn’t the catalyst

And is still the catalyst: Tony Bloom appears to be so different to other owners. He is ruthless when necessary but unbelievably supportive and patient. Gus Poyet owes a lot to Tony Bloom. That he, Poyet, chose to exit so publicly in the way he did turned him into a prize cock and has permanently tarnished the good memories.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
He was the perfect manager for BHA at the perfect time. Up until the fallout of the Playoffs he'd done an absolutely brilliant job, completely transforming us from a bunch of hopeless scufflers at the arse-end of the third division, to all-conquering Champions within 18 months, and Playoff contenders a year after that. Along the way we had some absolutely scintillating results and performances - Charlton away will live long in the memory, and I wish I'd got to Peterboro a couple of weeks after that.

It all ended on a sour note, as these journies often do. Not everything always ends perfectly. But anyone who says Poyet was not absolutely brilliant for this club has got their head rammed up their arse.

Spot on.

If he had only been with us for just the title winning season then you'd have to be a bit simple if you hadn't absolutely loved it all ! However , on top of that, we had 2 amazing seasons , so many highlights and the Amex momentum fully behind us. Incredible times.

If you look at those moments with more negatives than positives then you may as well give football (Albion) up.

That was better than anything most of us had witnessed in the previous 3 decades ( and beyond)

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I loved Gus, I'm not afraid to admit it. I actually thought he was a managerial genius and would go on to be up there with the likes of Mourinho and Pep. I was obviously wrong about that and in hindsight his temperament meant he would probably never go on to have that career but I loved what he did for us and will always want him to do well no matter how it ended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here